62 replies to this topic

#41 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

allsupermen2copy7cn.jpg

Superman's appearance has changed in the past and it'll continue to change in the future, but he still looks generally the same.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#42 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

^^ Well, those aren't changes in the design-- just different tailors.  :lol:

View PostNexusNine, on 16 December 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

What Superman wears in this coming film isn't so far removed from the costume that we've all come to know.  And comic book fans have had over a year to get used to the new look in the comics as several of the Superman titles implemented the newer look when the New 52 launched.  There were some complaints at the very start that have since faded, and most people seem fine with the change now.  Why?  Because they can still recognize him as Superman.  
Yeah, it's still recognizably Superman, which is why I didn't comment to begin with. But I think the changes are unnecessary and, in the case of the trunks, along the same lines as the "spandex" comment from X-Men-- i.e., embarrassment with the source material.

View PostCybersnark, on 16 December 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

And it's not like Superman doesn't didn't (damn nu52) have multiple different costumes in his closet anyway.  
Special suits for special occasions are fine, as long as the original remains at the core.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#43 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

I'm really fine with the suit, but DWF's picture shows what a radical departure it is - i.e., NONE of the above Superman suits were black...

The loss of the trunks I'm ok with - it isn't (to me) so much embarrassment with source material, as much as it's recognition that in today's terms, that look might be embarrassing to a kid who's already got enough on his plate.  If we go with the functional argument that Christopher makes, there's no particular reason to put the trunks outside the pants when athletes worldwide wear support materials UNDER their pants/shorts/etc....

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#44 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

314518_243758469002696_221774371201106_794048_3808095_n.jpg

His costume looks blue to me.

Edited by DWF, 18 December 2012 - 11:33 AM.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#45 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thank you!  Every shot I'd seen prior was pretty dark.  That makes me happy. :)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#46 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 18 December 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

I'm really fine with the suit, but DWF's picture shows what a radical departure it is - i.e., NONE of the above Superman suits were black...

Actually there have been black Superman costumes before, notably the outfit he wore just after his "resurrection" in the '90s Death of Superman/World Without a Superman/Reign of the Supermen storyline, and the outfit he wore in the Batman Beyond Justice League episode.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#47 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

^^That I know.  But they weren't THE uniform, they were A uniform, per prior discussion.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#48 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

The important things are the character and the story-- if those are good I can grudgingly accept an unnecessary costume change.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#49 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

^Of course, but I'm still not crazy about the costume. One can like a movie overall and still dislike aspects of it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#50 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,884 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Of course. I seldom like everything about a movie.  :lol:

#51 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

I wish they had gone with a suit similar to what Clark wears in the Smallville comic. I like that look a lot better than the New 52 suit. The Man of Steel's super-suit is never going to be my favorite but as long as the movie itself is good I can deal with it. I might even like it better once I see it on the big screen.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#52 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Well, one thing I'll say about the oddly dark uniform is that it matches the Nolanesque grey-blue hues.  This movie LOOKS like a Nolan movie, and sounds like one in pacing and intensity.  I can't say too much about Zack Snyder, because I haven't seen any of his stuff.  I only saw pieces of the 300, and only commercials for Sucker Punch.  But both of what I saw suggest that Snyder takes his visual cues from others (the 300 was based, visually, on the book.) So, it stands to reason that Christopher Nolan's visual style would dominate a Zack Snyder film. Anyway, the normally bright blue of Superman's uniform would look very comic-bookish and out of place in this movie.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#53 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

^ He does do a lot of adaptations, like 300, Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen, but he does have his own style, love it or hate it Sucker Punch was all his and it did have a style all it's own, even a musical/dance number if you are watching the director's cut, which is probably the best thing he has ever done. ;)

enTranced
Posted Image

#54 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Not sure if I'd get my hopes up on this having a lot of Nolan influence. I'm pretty sure he has said in an interview that his role was pretty limited and that the movie is Snyder's baby all the way through.

I can't say too much about Zack Snyder, because I haven't seen any of his stuff.  I only saw pieces of the 300, and only commercials for Sucker Punch.  But both of what I saw suggest that Snyder takes his visual cues from others (the 300 was based, visually, on the book.)

300 and Watchmen were close to the look of their respective comics, but his other work has been his own more or less. Dawn of the Dead might have been a remake but it was a remake like Moore's BSG. Same name, but completely different product. Sucker Punch was his own style as well and visually it was gorgeous.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#55 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

^ And the full on 30's style musical number! Don't forget that! :D

enTranced
Posted Image

#56 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 11 December 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

I have goosebumps. I loved the trailer. Just so freaking awesome. Just wow. I have a huge grin on my face right now.

I hate it.

#57 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Care to elaborate?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#58 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

why is it all these directors think they have to make movies look like That?! I mean all that type camera style with the glaring
streaks that get in the way of any clarity in the shot, that whole.. look!- and why does that trailer have each edit cut like a second and a half, like you barely get twelve frames to try to see any freakin thing? whet appetites? does not whet mine- and why did they choose this actor to be The guy? and why do they have to, have to tamp down colours these days? didn't Superman always have bright colours? Now that movie what came up at the end, that Bryan Singer Jack Giant killer, now that one intrigues me, maybe have to see that one ;)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#59 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

View Postoffworlder, on 29 December 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

why is it all these directors think they have to make movies look like That?! I mean all that type camera style with the glaring
streaks that get in the way of any clarity in the shot, that whole.. look!- and why does that trailer have each edit cut like a second and a half, like you barely get twelve frames to try to see any freakin thing? whet appetites? does not whet mine- and why did they choose this actor to be The guy? and why do they have to, have to tamp down colours these days? didn't Superman always have bright colours? Now that movie what came up at the end, that Bryan Singer Jack Giant killer, now that one intrigues me, maybe have to see that one ;)

It's doubtful that many of the film's visual effects are done, but I did hear that the trailer shown at Comic-Con had more footage. It seemed to me as though they were trying to focus more on Clark Kent in this trailer than Superman.

#60 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,620 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

It seemed to me that this trailer touched on some more of the plot-points.

Namely, Clark Kent coming to grips with the fact that he does have these powers to help people, but that not everyone is going to welcome him (with his abilities) with open arms.  Plus, there's ma and pa kent who not only want to raise their child the right way, they also worry about him and want him to be safe, hence Pa Kent wondering if Clark might not have been better off letting the other kids die.

Also, there is the threat of Zod(?) who will no doubt provide the incident necessary for Clark (as Superman) to prove to the general public that he is on their side and isn't out to take over the world.

All in all, this looks to be a refreshing take on Superman, presenting him in a slightly darker and more cynical world, where it would take more than rescuing cats out of trees, and an interview with a single reporter to convince people that he is a good guy.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Superman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users