• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

My main question about the Surface is the durability of the keyboard.  Frankly, IF I were to get a tablet to go with my other toys it would be a Kindle Fire HD, which, at $199 is a bargain.  My mother has one and it is just as cool as an IPad if one has the patience to work through the little tutorial.

Back to the show, to me, Barrowman's character didn't look "guilty" so much as like a person who had a stake in whatever was happening, which may be the same thing.

One thing though.  In that phone call, where Barrowman is seated at the table, someone says that the vigilante "just" put an arrow in someone.   I presume that there was some kind of reasonable time lag?

Also, do we think Moira and the Barrowman character realize that Ollie is the Hood (or Green Arrow....lame....;))?
Posted Image

#22 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

What's lame? I am thrilled that they are finally calling him by name!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#23 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ollie said he thought "Green Arrow" was a lame name, but maybe he was just saying that to be in character as the guy who is Not the Vigilante.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#24 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 13 December 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

What's lame? I am thrilled that they are finally calling him by name!

QT

Ollie said it was lame.  Maybe he thinks he should be called The Archer or something.;)
Posted Image

#25 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Ok - finally saw the ep, and wow... A lot of movement!

I didn't want to think that Felicity was complicit, but one has to wonder, given the explosion scene.  On the other hand, if she was complicit, seems like Walter would have been gone before this.  I couldn't tell from the storyline if Walter and Moira ever had that chat.

Ollie needs to move out of his parent's house - there's no way for him to be Green Arrow and constantly have to have scrapes and bumps and disappearances explained away to the people who he lives with.  He's old enough to get his own place, and rich enough to get his own place.  Why doesn't he get his own place?

With Merlyn actively seeking to end Green Arrow, I think it is clear that Tommy is cut off because of his do-gooding with Laurel.  I guess my question is - what is the vision of the future that Merlyn is after, and why did it take Moira in before and why did she reject it later?  It seems that the Queens, both of them, really didn't quite know what they had signed up for, and then wanted out, only to find that there was no way out.

Anyway - Digg is still awesome, but I'd like to see him out there a little more.  We didn't even get to see him rescue Ollie - everything was after-the-fact!  How did Digg get in and get Ollie out without police intervention (or setting off a bomb)?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#26 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 14 December 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Ok - finally saw the ep, and wow... A lot of movement!

I didn't want to think that Felicity was complicit, but one has to wonder, given the explosion scene.  On the other hand, if she was complicit, seems like Walter would have been gone before this.  I couldn't tell from the storyline if Walter and Moira ever had that chat.

No, Felicity isn't complicit. It's not like Merlyn didn't expect the Arrow to investigate the source of the arrows. After all, the entire thing from beginning to end was meant to draw the vigilante out. He knew going in that a fellow archery expert would recognize the killer's expertise and know the arrows were high-end, and would track down their source. The address was a trap from the start. He didn't need Felicity to tell him Ollie was investigating, because that investigation was what he committed the crimes in the first place in order to provoke.

Ollie needs to move out of his parent's house - there's no way for him to be Green Arrow and constantly have to have scrapes and bumps and disappearances explained away to the people who he lives with.  He's old enough to get his own place, and rich enough to get his own place.  Why doesn't he get his own place?

Because then it would be harder to have scenes with Thea and Moira.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#27 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

I have no problems with Katie Cassidy and I do think she's got a fine chemistry with Ollie, it's Tommy that feels out of place and he knows it. But it was a given that Walter wasn't going to get his explaination. All in all though it was a well done ep. and the reveal of John Barrowman was nicely done, I didn't see that coming.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#28 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,686 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostOrpheus, on 13 December 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

I actually give them credit for the "guilty" look. They are, after all, just acting. Barrowman doesn't actually feel guilty about anything (except raiding the crafts table after promising his husband he'd lay off the profiteroles), so I give him credit for a deliberate (or instinctive) choice, and give the director credit for noting and using it.

I hate it when a character's body language doesn't match what they are saying/doing. That should never happen but it does.

Sorry for replying to this so late - I'm still getting accustomed to the fact that the "Arrow" review threads are in a separate sub-forum. :)

Actually, US and Canadian actors are very astute in portraying emotions and the effects they create on the face and body, most probably because they are taught by the same few schools, which teach actors to actually create the emotions they portray, causing their body and face to actually show the signs of those emotions. The technique is called The Stanislavski System. This makes it possible for people like me, who learned extensively about body language and facial expression, to read them correctly.
When I watch a US or Canadian crime show, I can normally spot the culprit early and pretty easily based on that, whereas when I watch a German crime show, I often can't, because the actors often don't show signs of lying even though their characters clearly are, because the actors don't create the emotion behind it for themselves to portray it.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 16 December 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#29 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,627 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Katie Cassady ... it's not that I "hate" her, it's more that I am simply underwhelmed by her and her character.  She is attractive, but not particularly striking or memorable.  And her acting is certainly adequate, but there isn't anything outstanding about her performance.

That she is stuck in a forced CW Romantic Storyline doesn't help matters either.

So Merlyn is the anti-Green Arrow (kinda like that it is the arch-villain who dubs him -- while the hero, himself thinks the name is lame).

I admit I was kinda slipping in and out of consciousness while watching the episode, but otherwise it seemed to hold together as the pieces fall into place.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#30 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostG-man, on 16 December 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

(kinda like that it is the arch-villain who dubs him -- while the hero, himself thinks the name is lame).

It's a switch from the usual conceit in mass-media superhero adaptations, that it's the media/tabloids who name the hero. (I still think Margot Kidder's "What a super man" is one of the lamer examples of the trope. The DC Animated Universe version was much better -- Lois still named him, but based on the Nietzschean concept of the superman/ubermensch.)

Are there other examples of the villain naming the hero? I can think of one real-life analogy -- the name "Big Bang" for the current theory of the universe's origin was coined by one of its staunchest critics, Fred Hoyle, in order to ridicule it.

Facebook Author Page

#31 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

With Arrow requiring hospitailization at the same time the Merlyn knew that Arrow would need expert medical care whether Merlyn will look into hospital records to get some leads on Arrow's identity. Of course no-one except Merlyn and Digg (and any of their confidants) would know that the Arrow was seriously injured.

I can't recall how badly Merlyn was hurt... Would he have required medical attention as well? Though he might have some contacts that would allow him to get the necessary care outside of the hospital system and/or have records forged.

I am also wondering if hanukkah-celebrating-tech-girl (sorry, name alludes me) will piece two and two together between the address she gave Oliver and the location of the hostage crisis (though it occurs to me now that it may not have been the exact same address). If not I wonder why they bothered with that bit of phone call conversation between her and Oliver's stepdad right before the elevator. While knowing Oliver is connected somehow is not the same as knowing Oliver is Arrow with Oliver being hurt so badly she might, now or later, come to view it with as perhaps more than a co-incidence.

Edited by sierraleone, 20 December 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#32 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 20 December 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

With Arrow requiring hospitailization at the same time the Merlyn knew that Arrow would need expert medical care whether Merlyn will look into hospital records to get some leads on Arrow's identity. Of course no-one except Merlyn and Digg (and any of their confidants) would know that the Arrow was seriously injured.

That's what was so clever about Ollie's plan a few weeks back to let himself get accused of being the Hood and then clear himself. He was inoculating himself against the inevitability that some people would find evidence suggesting he was the Hood. Since that theory has already been very publicly mooted and "disproven," that makes it less likely to be taken seriously in the future.

I am also wondering if hanukkah-celebrating-tech-girl (sorry, name alludes me) will piece two and two together between the address she gave Oliver and the location of the hostage crisis (though it occurs to me now that it may not have been the exact same address).

They certainly weren't the same address, since the first address blew up.

And her name is Felicity Smoak. She's named after the mother-in-law of the DC superhero Firestorm, though I don't know why they chose that character to base her on.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users