pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

here's an inner-esting read:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-20332763
how the world, and the net, are changing English forever

Amazing, all the 'outside' influences at work- how English is the lingua franca
for one foreigner speaking/typing to another- one person with Portuguese typing to
say an Indian, Hindi, will type English; one Korean will type English to one Egyptian;
how English is the international language of the internet.

the Sinoglish, Chinese; the Hongkongish, the Singaporglish, all the makers of
modern usage who are the not, way not , experts; adding them to all those we decry each
decade, the eighteen-year-olds coming into the adult world of uni and careers with their
atrocious grammer because either they were not taught right, what with all the emphasis
on metric government tests that determine funding, or they just didn't pay attention and learn
and just skated along to scrap out graduating to then pay more attention in community college
and transfer to uni and go into careers but with long used faults they cannot break; and thusly
the accepted usage we see in the press, like they and their in the singular, followed along.

Makes me wonder how a Brit, say Kings/Queens English type from Ox-bridge, makes of
all this world forming of English by all these far-far from experts, and this is what used to
be the British language.
;)
English just aint what it was- of course it changed each decade over time, but seems it changed
far more in just the past internet decade, especially with all the foreigners on the net now.
What will it sound or read like in another twenty years?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

English just aint what it was

English "was" a language comprised of dozens of other languages and influences. Maybe hundreds. So, it is exactly what it always has been :)

And it still is "a" British Language (not "the" British language, since we also have Welsh, Cornish, BSL, Gaelic, Irish, Scots etc. ).

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 14 December 2012 - 06:30 AM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

^ I assume BSL is British Sign Language?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

^ Yep
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Internet, Changing English, Language, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users