Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

The Media is NOT reporting the whole story...

Gun Control 2nd Amendment Concealed Weapons 2012

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

What a surprise! :rolleyes: Check this video out. It's short, and pretty informative:

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,412 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

That was very informative.  My husband's sister and her husband also have concealed carry permits and they were trained.  It's not always about knowing when to shoot.  Quite often, it's also all about knowing when not to.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#3 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostMary Rose, on 15 December 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

That was very informative.  My husband's sister and her husband also have concealed carry permits and they were trained.  It's not always about knowing when to shoot.  Quite often, it's also all about knowing when not to.

Indeed. I took a course and pass a test before I got mine. I didn't have to, I chose to. I also practice. It can be quite fun. Practicing that is.
Posted Image

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

It was interesting, but the connection between the CCW carrier and the end of the rampage wasn't nearly as direct as the descriptions suggested. The CCW guy fled to a store and took cover *after* deciding not to fire but *before* the rampager shot himself. Maybe it was related to seeing the CCW guy, maybe not.

I'm not anti-gun (I'm a trained gun owner myself), but as I see it, CCW guy didn't directly stop the rampage. Guys like that don't plan to walk home after a gun rampage  --if they're even thinking lucidly at all. If he WASN'T thinking lucidly, you can't assign any rational "cause" to his self-execution. Maybe he saw an "Emergency Exit" sign.

-- Orpheus "or his reflection in a Target window"

Edited by Orpheus, 16 December 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 16 December 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

It was interesting, but the connection between the CCW carrier and the end of the rampage wasn't nearly as direct as the descriptions suggested. The CCW guy fled to a store and took cover *after* deciding not to fire but *before* the rampager shot himself. Maybe it was related to seeing the CCW guy, maybe not.

I'm not anti-gun (I'm a trained gun owner myself), but as I see it, CCW guy didn't directly stop the rampage. Guys like that don't plan to walk home after a gun rampage  --if they're even thinking lucidly at all. If he WASN'T thinking lucidly, you can't assign any rational "cause" to his self-execution. Maybe he saw an "Emergency Exit" sign.

-- Orpheus "or his reflection in a Target window"

The CCW person had at the very least bought some extra time for people to get away because he distracted the shooter as he was trying to clear the jammed rifle. This alone speaks volumes. The CCW carrier decided not to fire because he saw people running behind the shooter and did not want to take the chance of missing and hitting an innocent. At that point, he retreated from his position behind a post to find cover. After that, the shooter shot himself.
Posted Image

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Late to the thread, but...

There are stories on all sides to confirm whatever biases we might have.  Think a trained shooter might have solved the problem at Newtown? How come it didn't at Columbine?  And yet, there are cases where a trained citizen actually did help matters.  The real story is that NRA intransience on this issue has distorted the issue beyond any useful discussion.  Legislation likely to pass is probably not going to be the right legislation because no one is having an honest debate.  The proper regulation of guns, requirements for recertifications of licenses, etc - all of this is common sense stuff that would make it possible to have a great gun policy.  And some other proposals (ammunition limits, limits on guns that can fire sprays of bullets, etc) could make a mass tragedy less massive (but probably won't ever stop the actual crazies of the world  But we're not having this conversation.  We're talking about the media, the NRA, the "them".

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gun Control, 2nd Amendment, Concealed Weapons, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users