#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

http://www.npr.org/2...t-senior-member
Sen. Inouye, A War Hero Who Broke Barriers, Dies At 88

... Born to Japanese immigrants in Hawaii in 1924, the young Inouye dreamed of becoming a surgeon, but world events intervened as he was listening to the radio on Sunday morning, Dec. 7, 1941.
Inouye relayed the story last year on NPR's Tell Me More: "All of a sudden, the disc jockey stopped the music and started screaming: 'The Japanese are bombing Pearl Harbor,' " Inouye says he wanted to enlist — but couldn't, at first, because Japanese-Americans were classified as "enemy aliens."
"The thought that I was an enemy agent not just insulted and angered me, but, like many of my colleagues, young kids, we decided we'd do something about this," Inouye said. "We began to petition."
They petitioned the president to let them fight for their country. In 1943, he joined a Japanese-American unit sent to Europe and saw heavy combat. In Italy, he personally stormed three German machine gun nests, taking them out but losing his right arm in the process. Half a century later, Inouye and 22 other Asian-American World War II vets received the Medal of Honor for bravery in the battlefield.
"We had an extra burden because it was not only serving our nation in uniform but also proving and demonstrating a loyalty, which I'm glad to say my country has said we did," Inouye said...
In a statement, Inouye's Washington office said his last word was "aloha."

Rest in peace.    :cry:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

i recently saw the dvd from library of movie Go for Broke!(movie in or around 1945-6 starring Van Johnson and many Nissei young guys) ; and while i had read before and knew of the start and the exploits of the 442nd, i not only didnt know about the 100th who came from hawaii and their experience and accomplishments and awards before the 442 deployed- while the 442 had a high continental contingent(from removal camps) and less Hawaii the 100th (first Nissei unit) were all from Hawaii- I also didnt know the particular deployment, locations, northern Italy, then south France assault up toward Hurtgen forest campaign, or the particular activities and casualties and awards of the fine 442 and 100th units(they combined and served together in europe), spirit, bravery, American contribution, or the friction with the Texans (inf national guard brigade), racial tensions (at one point 442,100th, combined in the Texans brigade in battle), all that experiences and brotherhood and service times. GOOD to see Daniel had the DFC for his actions, and he with many presented M of Honour round 2000. And good to see he served Hawaii from 1959 statehood on for whole career.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Sen. Inouye was a remarkable man. A Medal of Honor winner in the Nisei division, which was the most decorated in WII IIRC, his integrity and faithful service to his state was unquestioned. Rest in peace.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2012, Senate, WWII, MOH, Obituaries, Sen. Inouye

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users