#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

http://www.huffingto..._n_2329425.html

South Carolina Bill Would Criminalize Obamacare

South Carolina is considering outlawing Obamacare.
Five Republican South Carolina state representatives introduced a bill last week that, if passed, would send people to jail for trying to implement the Affordable Care Act in South Carolina.
Under the bill, federal officials, employees and contractors implementing Obamacare could face a jail sentence of up to 5 years, and state officials and employees implementing Obamacare could face a jail sentence of up to 2 years....

How soon can we let them secede?

Edited by Nonny, 20 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

You know, you could make an argument that that's an act of rebellion against the United States... and I'm not sure it would be that much of a stretch.

#3 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

so will federal judges send 5 assemblymen to Club Fed? (white collar fed prison)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Federal law obviously supersedes state law.  Even if passed, there is zero chance any such law would be allowed to take effect, and its proponents know it.  

I wonder ... would a governor who signs a law that criminalizes adherence to a federal law find herself in hot water with the DOJ?  And if so, on what basis?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

LOL who do these f*ckwits think they are?

i swear, we should start slapping these conservative idiots with treason charges, since they obviously no longer care to respect the government and people they were elected to serve and instead prefer to plot to undermine the President solely because of his skin color.

(and please, conservatives, don't tell me that isn't the reason.  you didn't see any of them pulling this sh*t on Clinton--or any other Democrat president.  why?  because they were white guys.)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#6 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Actually, Federal law doesn't "obviously" supersede state law. In fact, the tenth Amendment of the Bill of Rights says the opposite "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Health care is not among those delegated powers. That's one reason why the Feds move so carefully in states that legalize marijuana, and why gay (or straight) marriage rules are a state-by-state issue.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating either side of this argument. I'm just asking that we keep our facts straight. Though I don't personally take this measure very seriously, it's a legal territory full of subtlety, not a joke.

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Living in this state becomes more embarrassing every day. :(
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

But the federal government is still vigorously enforcing its pot laws in states that have legalized medical marijuana.  Dispensaries are getting shut down all the time.  

In this case, you have a state looking to criminalize compliance with a particular federal law - how can that be legal?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#9 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

It would never stand a court test--our state supreme court is surprisingly moderate.  These are just guys posturing for the next election.

In other SC news Mark "Appalachian Trail" Sanford is planning to run for the Congressional seat vacated by Tim Scott's appointment to the Senate.  Perhaps ex-wife Jenny will run against him in the primary.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#10 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000009
Mark Sanford House Run: Former South Carolina Governor Seriously Considering Bid For Congress

... Acknowledging reports that he will try to re-enter politics, the two-term governor wrote in an email to The Associated Press late Saturday: "To answer your question, yes the accounts are accurate." Sanford promised "further conversation on all this" later.
The two-term governor was seen as a possible ultraconservative contender for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.
That was before he vanished from the state for five days in 2009. Reporters were told he was hiking the Appalachian Trail, but he later tearfully acknowledged he was visiting Maria Belen Chapur, which he told everyone at news conference announcing his affair. He later called her his soul mate in an interview with AP and the two were engaged earlier this year.
And to add to possible political intrigue in the race, Sanford's ex-wife and former campaign adviser, Jenny, also appears to be dipping her toe into the state's political water.
She was on Gov. Nikki Haley's short list of candidates to fill the DeMint seat that went to Scott. Jenny Sanford later said she would think about a run for Scott's seat in the coastal 1st District.
"I'd be crazy not to look at the race a little bit," she said Tuesday, before reports about Mark Sanford surfaced....

I feel your pain, Cardie.   :rolleyes:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2012, loony laws, South Carolina, ObamaCare

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users