• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

There are many generals and many do not gain attention outside their lives, those who know them in their careers, but this general is a bit different; at the time of the Gulf Desert Storm he was the banner for rallying, we needed a larger than life type, this guy was the large bear in the room or the desert tarmac who was also a thoughtful strategist and a no nonsense leader...
has died now in his late seventies,

>'
At the peak of his postwar national celebrity, Schwarzkopf — a self-proclaimed political independent — rejected suggestions that he run for office, and remained far more private than other generals, although he did serve briefly as a military commentator for NBC.
While focused primarily on charitable enterprises in his later years, he campaigned for President George W. Bush in 2000, but was ambivalent about the 2003 invasion of Iraq. In early 2003 he told The Washington Post that the outcome was an unknown: “What is postwar Iraq going to look like, with the Kurds and the Sunnis and the Shiites? That’s a huge question, to my mind. It really should be part of the overall campaign plan.”
Initially Schwarzkopf had endorsed the invasion, saying he was convinced that Secretary of State Colin Powell had given the United Nations powerful evidence of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction. After that proved false, he said decisions to go to war should depend on what U.N. weapons inspectors found.
He seldom spoke up during the conflict, but in late 2004 he sharply criticized Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and the Pentagon for mistakes that included erroneous judgments about Iraq and inadequate training for Army reservists sent there '

http://www.washingto...aa43_story.html
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

RIP General.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

...“He’s a good mud soldier,” Lt. Gen. William S. Carpenter Jr., who served with Gen. Schwarzkopf in Vietnam, told the New York Times in 1991. “The most important thing is that he cares about ground troops and he’s not about to get them chewed up.”...

Considered a master battlefield tactician who didn’t wilt under fire, Gen. Schwarzkopf admitted that he felt fear in combat and didn’t trust any soldier who didn’t.
“Yes, I am antiwar,” he told U.S. News & World Report in 1991. “All you hae to do is hold your first soldier who is dying in your arms, and have that terribly futile feeling that I can’t do anything about it. . . . Then you understand the horror of war.”

Rest in peace.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Gen. Schwarzkopf, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users