Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Charles Durning "king of character actors" died

obituaries

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Charles Durning  also passed away Christmas Eve.
http://movies.yahoo....-075353360.html

"Not only was Charlie a World War II hero but he was also a hero to his family. Charlie loved Christmas and if he could have chosen a time to pass, he would have chosen this day," said a statement from his stepdaughter, Anita Gregory, released Tuesday by Ana Martinez, spokeswoman for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.

"He loved that holiday and played Santa Claus many times in films and TV shows," Gregory said. "Charlie lived the spirit of Christmas each and every day of his life. He taught me to believe that nothing was impossible. He brought joy and a smile to everyone's life."

Although he portrayed everyone from blustery public officials to comic foils to put-upon everymen, Durning may be best remembered by movie audiences for his Oscar-nominated, over-the-top role as a comically corrupt governor in 1982's "The Best Little Wh*rehouse in Texas"

Many critics marveled that such a heavyset man could be so nimble in the film's show-stopping song-and-dance number, not realizing Durning had been a dance instructor early in his career. Indeed, he had met his first wife, Carol, when both worked at a dance studio.

The year after "Best Little Wh*rehouse," Durning received another Oscar nomination, for his portrayal of a bumbling Nazi officer in Mel Brooks' "To Be or Not to Be." He was also nominated for a Golden Globe as the harried police lieutenant in 1975's "Dog Day Afternoon."

He won a Golden Globe as best supporting TV actor in 1991 for his portrayal of John "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald in the TV film "The Kennedys of Massachusetts" and a Tony in 1990 as Big Daddy in the Broadway revival of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"

He was in a lot of movies that I watched over the years, always a great character actor.

But I remember him most from his role as the Governor in BLWiT, often referencing The Sidestep in OT.  He did so much work over the years, on stage and film.   Thank you, Charles for sharing your talent with us.

RIP Charles Durning.

Edited by Tricia, 28 December 2012 - 12:16 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I loved him.  So great in so many things.  

RIP.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

And he was a huge war hero, haunted by what he'd been through. He did a fictionalized version of his history on an NCIS episode.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,686 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

^^ Yes, that episode (together with "Child's Play", which was also terrific), is simply the best that this show has ever done to date. Nothing else really comes close.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: obituaries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users