• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

The crew becomes infected by a telepathic imprint of a culture that destroyed itself.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

This was probably my favorite of the season, even though the conflict between the crew was forced it created the conflict the show was meant to provide. This ep. also gave us Sisko's clock he built it thoughout the ep. but it might've been nice to explain why he built it and where the plans came from.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sisko was an engineer, he started out that way until he got into command.  I'd say he came up with those plans himself, maybe something that he saw or thought about when he was a child but forgot about as he grew up.

I think, given how each person affected was reenacting some aspect of whatever personality they were reenacting, that Sisko was building that clock as his version of whatever the original person was doing that drove him away from being bothered by the burdens of command.

And I agree... this was one of the gems of the first season.

#4 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

And I'll have to be a dissenting vote. :p

Good writing and good acting can't save a bad plot.  This was DS9's version of a "Naked Time"/"Naked Now" episode.  I always think a first season is too early to send your characters off in a different direction when you barely know them in the first place, but writers seem to love doing it.

I was also really aware in this rewatch how much the seeds of the Mirror Universe characters were sown here.  Manic Sisko is very similar to Mirror Sisko and the beginnings of the Intendant's swagger and sex appeal/approach are definitely found in this extreme Kira.  Which is an interesting thought - are the Mirror characters really "mirror" or just driven-to-extreme versions of the regular characters as seen here?

At any rate, I'd totally forgotten this episode existed.  And now that I've rewatched it for now, I'll probably forget it again. :p  Except for the clock.  I did sort of vaguely remember that.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#5 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Well even though he received a lot of praise for his acting here, I thought Avery Brooks did a pretty bad job as did Terry Ferrell but overall I thought the story held together pretty well. It's funny though how many bad reviews from Niners this first season is getting on the rewatch.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

I'm with Jill. Episodes like this don't tend to leave much of an impression on me because there's no lasting impact. It's a tech plot, twists its characters around in occasionally entertaining ways, has a tech solution and then it ends, without much depth or meaning. Some of the performances do help (like Avery Brooks switching convincingly from passively bored to massively manic) but it's all very disposable. I've watched it at least four times over the course of twenty years and each time, I promptly forget the episode within a few days.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#7 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostDWF, on 03 February 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

It's funny though how many bad reviews from Niners this first season is getting on the rewatch.
I'd say having only four 1-star (for me) episodes out of what, 22? - in a first season is a pretty good level of quality.  Only TOS probably holds up better for season one of a Trek show.  And on rewatch, that might not do as well either.  But S1 DS9 definitely outranks S1 TNG, VOY, or ENT for quality.  IMO :)
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#8 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'd say having only four 1-star (for me) episodes out of what, 22? - in a first season is a pretty good level of quality.  Only TOS probably holds up better for season one of a Trek show.  And on rewatch, that might not do as well either.  But S1 DS9 definitely outranks S1 TNG, VOY, or ENT for quality.  IMO :)

Yeah, I'd agree. There's a lot of episodes in this first season that I'd label as "average" (perhaps half of them) but that's still a better overall level of quality than most of the Trek series at this point. And above all, what you can't see from the overall episode ratings are how developed a lot of characters are already.

#9 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I think there's a good way and a bad way to do the "Naked Time" plot early on-- the good way is what TOS did, to reveal the hidden inner character behind what we've already seen. That could have been an interesting thing to do on DS9. The bad way is this way, in which the personas adopted by the cast are just characters, and have little or nothing to say about them beyond whatever entertainment value is in the performance.

I recall this one as having a fair amount of entertainment value on that level, but again, I'm cheating and going on old memories of the episode. As best I remember, it's kind of a low three-star show. I wouldn't say it wasted my time, but I wouldn't say we needed it, either.

#10 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postwritergroupie, on 04 February 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostDWF, on 03 February 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

It's funny though how many bad reviews from Niners this first season is getting on the rewatch.

If we were talking about a series starting from scratch I would agree, with DS9 the writers, directors, makeup artists and even the producers were from TNG and highly experienced by this time. And I shouldn't be too surprised I guess DS9 seems to be getting low ratings in rewatch threads on the TrekBBS as well.

#11 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

VOY and ENT staffers were experienced too and those shows fared worse.  It's not about experience, it's about execution.

And as the seasons go on for DS9, I expect the ratings will improve, as the show did. :)
I write, therefore I am.

-- Me (on bonsai)

#12 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

View Postwritergroupie, on 05 February 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

VOY and ENT staffers were experienced too and those shows fared worse.  It's not about experience, it's about execution.

And as the seasons go on for DS9, I expect the ratings will improve, as the show did. :)

The decline in the ratings started with DS9, TNG was a huge success and they kept trying to copy that success without being able ot understind it in the first place, nobody could understand that success even me, if I could if we could we'd be doing ourselves. It's like having something precious and unique, if you have one(TOS) you have a treasure beyond compare, two is OK but anymore and what was once one of kind is isn't anymore. I suspect that just like when DS9 originally ran you're going to find some eps. are important while others are distant and dim memory for others and with good reason for them to be forgotten about by the viewer.

StarTrekFranchiseRatings.jpg

Edited by DWF, 06 February 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#13 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I wasn't referring to the airing ratings, I was referring to our rating/reviewing the eps here during this rewatch.  As I said, I expect our ratings/reviews of the episodes during this rewatch to go up as the quality of the show improved. :)  The first season of the show was the weakest - it only gets better from here. :)
I write, therefore I am.

-- Me (on bonsai)

#14 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

View Postwritergroupie, on 06 February 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I wasn't referring to the airing ratings, I was referring to our rating/reviewing the eps here during this rewatch.  As I said, I expect our ratings/reviews of the episodes during this rewatch to go up as the quality of the show improved. :)  The first season of the show was the weakest - it only gets better from here. :)

So was in part, I now expect the series ratings to reflect the new review ratings, It's odd because I figured with all the talk about DS9 the review ratings for even the first season would have been better let alone the posts in the review threads.

#15 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

So was in part, I now expect the series ratings to reflect the new review ratings, It's odd because I figured with all the talk about DS9 the review ratings for even the first season would have been better let alone the posts in the review threads.

Why? Episodes don't magically improve with time.

#16 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostJosh, on 06 February 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Why? Episodes don't magically improve with time.

Viewpoints do though, but then if you expect to have the same reactions to the series after 20 years there's little point rewatching it. but I have some small hope that feelings might change one way or the other.

#17 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

This was another firsts season favorite. I like the crew go nuts episodes. But it is not perfect, blowing the stuff out the airlock was.....questionable to say the least. :p

But I am still giving it 4 stars because it is a lot of fun watching this crew go mad. :D

enTranced
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users