• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Station residents suddenly find their imaginations are manifested in physical form; a spatial rift threatens to destroy the Bajoran system.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

With the exception of the two Dax's this was a bit of a do nothing ep. it's a shame Dax wasn't written like her double all along she'd be a more interesting character.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

This is one of the weakest episodes of the season, drowning in technobabble and completely inconsequential. It's filled with a bunch of ideas that might have worked if fleshed out but instead, the material is stretched too thin and everything suffers. Of the illusions, only Rumpelstiltskin carries any weight (mainly because of the performance). Buck Bokai overloads his scenes with dull baseball jargon and the second Dax is just silly stuff, a foreboding teaser of what we'll have to endure in the third season's "Fascination." The ultimate revelation that they're alien visitors testing the crew has been done to death in Trek and this is one of its lamest incarnations. The final act is standard "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" material but completely lacking in tension thanks to a typical Chattaway score and actors phoning it in.

There's a few amusing scenes in the teaser, like Dax politely brushing Bashir off but that's about it for this one.

(I love the DS9 previews, especially for bad episodes where they're desperately trying to build excitement where it doesn't exist. "In the dark recesses of the mind lies the ultimate enemy..." Please.)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

And this was the third of the trifecta of S1 episodes I was not looking forward to rewatching (after Move Along Home and The Storyteller).  Though this was probably the least painful of the three, that's about the best I can say for it.

Another "could have been a S1 TNG ep", not even cute Julian/Dax moments or the presence of the incredibly adorable Hana Hatae could save this one.

I never noticed until this rewatch though that it was actually written with an eye to a followup episode!  Buck's last line being "maybe next year".  SO glad this one was left as a plot dropping! :D
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#5 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I wouldn't say it feels like a S1 TNG ep as much as a really bad S7 one. S1 TNG had a very different feel from where modern Trek (including DS9) eventually settled, much less polished and the technobabble is notably less.

(It was also its own special level of bad, most of the time.)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#6 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

No, this really reminded me of early TNG episodes like "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Where Silence Has Lease".  Along with some holodeck and Q episodes.  Just another "first contact is weird!" story.

S1 was the "we're figuring it out" stage of TNG; S7 was the "we're out of ideas" stage. :p

Edited by writergroupie, 02 February 2013 - 07:34 PM.

I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#7 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

double post

Edited by writergroupie, 02 February 2013 - 07:34 PM.

I write, therefore I am.

-- Me (on bonsai)

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postwritergroupie, on 02 February 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

S1 was the "we're figuring it out" stage of TNG; S7 was the "we're out of ideas" stage. :p

With so many stories on DS9, Voyager and Enterprise being perfectly good TNG stories, I don't tink they ran out of ideas, they all knew the series was coming an end simply relaxed too much. I remember Siddig saying how relaxed the TNG set was during the filming of Birthright compared to the DS9 at the time.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I remember back when I was first watching the show I was appalled that they showed this garbage after Progress.

Not much has changed. :devil:

enTranced
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users