• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Chief O'Brien is appointed spiritual leader of a Bajoran village. Meanwhile, Nog and Jake try to help their new friend settle a struggle between two Bajoran villages.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

It was nice seeing Kay Sutter from TNG's Clues again, but the conclusion of the O'Brien storyline was predictable. However both character storylines were well done, it was the beginning of the O'Brien/Bashir relationship and it was a good one for Jake and Nog as well. One of the things that DS9 did more than the other shows was to seperate the cast into sets of two, this sadly meant that some of the cast had few stories with the characters they weren't paired with.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

That was one of my favorite things about DS9, how well they split the cast into two or more storylines per episode.  I think it's a big part of the reason why the characters on this STAR TREK series seemed so much real to me than the others.  It also gave the actors a greater chance to do more each season, and helped bring about the huge ensemble of recurring characters we eventually had.

#4 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

I was dreading this one almost as much as Move Along Home.  Seriously.  And the A-plot of Dumbo and the Magic Feather... ahem, O'Brien and the Magic Storyteller... was just as awful as I remembered it to be.

However, the Dauphin rehash B-plot with Nog and Jake was actually quite enjoyable.  So I was thrilled anytime the story shifted away from the Magic Feather and towards the station.

Though I'd forgotten this was also the beginning of the Bashir/O'Brien bromance.  Still not enough to make that storyline remotely watchable even for me. :p

Que Sirrah Sirrah. ;)
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#5 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, this episode isn't great. The A-plot is very goofy (with some bad guest acting) but I do appreciate it for starting the Bashir/O'Brien love affair (which granted, later episodes did much better). The B-plot has its moments but Gina Philips is a terrible actress ("I'm NOT a little lady!") and I've never been a big fan of Jake/Nog, especially this early on.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Funny how different people see things differently.  Besides being the beginning of O'Brien & Bashir's friendship, what I liked about this was the fact that O'Brien really COULDN'T step in and do anything at all, even knowing the secret.  I remember expecting one of those miracle TNG solutions, and instead getting a much more realistic failure. YAY!

And this was one of the times when the Ferengi way of looking at things provided the clear breakthrough - the hated Ferengi of TNG are here shown having something useful to contribute.  

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

The only thing I remember about this episode was O'Brien's feeble "Once upon a time... there was... a Dal'Rok!"

That bit was cute. That one moment there. The rest of it was in the show's bottom five non-Ferengi episodes.

#8 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Aw, come on, John! You didn't like it when Jake and Nog messed with Odo's bucket? :p

#9 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

QueenTiye, on 28 January 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

And this was one of the times when the Ferengi way of looking at things provided the clear breakthrough - the hated Ferengi of TNG are here shown having something useful to contribute.
Yes, loved that. :)
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#10 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

writergroupie, on 28 January 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Yes, loved that. :)

Same here.  I felt that when that happened, DS9 embodied the true spirit of STAR TREK better than the other series, just by that scene they were saying, "Everyone has a place and purpose in the universe.  EVERYONE."  All perspectives become good ones and useful ones at some point, and that philosophy wasn't as clear on TNG as it was here.  Tolerance is fine and all the STAR TREK series do that well, but actually EMBRACING all the other perspectives is another matter entirely.  IDIC indeed.

#11 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Funny how different people see things differently.  Besides being the beginning of O'Brien & Bashir's friendship, what I liked about this was the fact that O'Brien really COULDN'T step in and do anything at all, even knowing the secret.  I remember expecting one of those miracle TNG solutions, and instead getting a much more realistic failure. YAY!

QT

I never thought the Ferengi were hated on TNG or Voyager, but DS9 did give us all their pretty cliched comedy eps. and at least TNG showed us a Ferengi scientist in Suspicions, which of course nobody remembers.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

I never thought the Ferengi were hated on TNG or Voyager, but DS9 did give us all their pretty cliched comedy eps. and at least TNG showed us a Ferengi scientist in Suspicions, which of course nobody remembers.

In all fairness, the Ferengi weren't in a great deal of TNG or Voyager episodes (although the ones they were in tended to be stinkers).

#13 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

O'Brian hilarious screw up as the storyteller is the one thing that saves this episode from getting one damn star and gives it two damn stars. :p

enTranced
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users