• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

A fugitive attempts to trade evidence about Odo's people for freedom.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

This one started out as a nice possible clue to Odo's past but it quickly degenerated into a run of the mill ep. about revenge and they reused a number of thigns we've seen before, the Meridorn's ship was the used in TNG's Gambit two parter and it was a fairly ordinary nebula.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

A solid Odo episode with some good Quark scenes, a charming guest turn by Cliff DeYoung and an interesting alien threat in the twinned Miradorn is ultimately rather undone by the setup turning out to be a cheat.  Poor Odo. :(

Though seeing a rare childlike Odo smile at the end of the ep is a pleasure. :)

The end of the episode also furthers the idea that Odo's mistress is justice, not the law.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#4 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

A strong sense of justice has always been one of Odo's best characteristics.  He himself said it best back in "A MAN ALONE" about how laws change, whether it be Cardassian or Federation or Bajoran, but justice is justice.

I think he ultimately became probably the most fair of all the characters because of his sense of justice.

It would prove to be a weakness in several instances, too.  But I've always felt that about any trait of a person, that their stongest characteristic is also what can make them the weakest, too.

#5 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

I don't know. This episode has always left me a little cold. There's certainly nothing terribly wrong with it. The guest performances are good and it's nice to get a little insight into how Odo's mind works this early on. But at the same time, it spends too much time with a tired revenge plot and the payoff turns out to be not really worth the journey.

It doesn't help that the majority of this situation could have been avoided if the people involved had a lick of common sense. Why did Croden have his phaser set on kill in the first place? Why didn't they simply lock Ah-Kel up? Hell, why didn't they slap a tractor on Ah-Kel's ship when it was trying to leave the station? Still, the visual effects are very nice and I liked a few of the Quark scenes. Call it very average DS9.

Edited by Josh, 01 February 2013 - 01:59 AM.

"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users