• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

A visiting delegation from the Gamma Quadrant turns four crew members into "pieces" for a bizarre game.

[Source: Memory Alpha. Used with permission under the Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial 2.5 Generic License]

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

This episode is a mess. Still, I can't give it the lowest rating because most of the scenes before the game starts are actually pretty solid, especially the ones with Jake. The first contact scene is especially amusing, with its light touches (like Bashir getting ribbed for misplacing his dress uniform. Can't he just replicate it?).

Unfortunately, once the game begins, it all falls to pieces, starting with the obvious logic gaps. What's the purpose of this game? Why use four members of the senior staff? Why keep everyone else in the dark? Where does the game take place? Does this strike anyone as a reasonable First contact approach for the Wadi to take? I can think of several other species that would have blown them out of the sky for this.

Aside from the Allamarain hopscotch (which is amiably goofy), the scenes in the game are very slow and dull. They also include a surprising amount of bad acting. I've taken gigs where you just know you're going to go on auto-pilot, either because the music isn't good, or the people you're working with aren't good or any number of things. If I was an actor and I took a good read through this script, I probably would have checked out immediately, perhaps explaining Nana Visitor screaming at the top of her lungs through most of the second half. Or Armin Shimerman's agonizing groveling.

So two stars, mostly for the opening ten minutes. While there are plenty of weak episodes in the first two seasons, I don't think there's any true dogs. You have to wait for the third season and beyond for those.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Keep in mind that the Gamma Quadrant clearly showed to have different practices and protocols on just about everything, so I can see this as being a typical form of First Contact for a race like the Wadi.

And quite probably the reason why those 4 members of the senior staff were picked was because they were the first ones to greet the Wadi when they entered the station.  It appeared that they were in some kind of holodeck in that area of the Wadi ship that Odo was trying to enter, at least that's what the evidence suggests.  I see it as quite likely that the first people that were scanned by such a holodeck were tagged, so to speak, by simply being so close to the Wadi ship itself when it docked.

As to the purpose of the game, who knows?  As I said before, Gamma Quadrant species tend to have a different set of standards and ethics than many on the Alpha side.  For all we know, they could have been an early mission of the Dominion to see how crew on this side would react to various circumstances and still not tip their hand as to it being the Dominion.  Given how widespread the Dominion is on that side, I can't imagine a species that ISN'T part of it in some form.

#4 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Allamaraine!

I want an "I survived the DS9 Rewatch "Move Along Home"" badge! :D

Really indefensibly awful episode.  Cheesy "look this is filled with alien words" script is always painful to sit through.  But with that said, I think the horrible guest cast/acting and the terrible production design did it no favors either.

One of the worst.  Move along indeed.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#5 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I um.... actually really like this episode. I guess I have low standards....or maybe it was because I was a kid when I first saw it......
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#6 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

The one moment in this episode I always remember is Sisko refusing to leave Dax behind when she's hurt. Solely because the rest of the episode was so agonizingly awful that when that happened, I did a double-take: "Wait! Something that didn't suck just happened! I almost felt like I was watching an episode of Deep Space Nine, and not The Onion's parody thereof!"

OK, I probably didn't say it exactly like that, given that I didn't know what the Onion was back then. But you get the idea. Alas, that one redeemable moment was gone almost as soon as it arrived. The episode resumed being awful and stayed that way.

I mean, really, this episode featured Kira shying away from danger because she was "just an administrator!" ...the FRELL did that come from? Certainly wasn't the same character we saw in the rest of the series. And the rhyming game was-- argh. I can't talk about this.

Argh.

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Allamaraine, count to four!

#8 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Allamaraine, then three more!

#9 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Allamaraine, if you can see!

#10 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

Allamaraine, you'll come with me!!!

#11 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

*headdesk*

Make it stop! :D
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#12 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Lol :)
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#13 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

You have to do the moves, too, or it wont work.
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#14 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I don't dance. Don't allamarask me.

#15 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

*groans*

Offering three chopsticks (or whatever they were betting with) to make it stop! :D
I write, therefore I am.

-- Me (on bonsai)

#16 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I WAS doing the moves as I was speaking them.  :)

#17 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

POIDH

:D
I write, therefore I am.

-- Me (on bonsai)

#18 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

I'll tell you how bad it was...

Seeing the title just now, I remembered the episode (and song), but in my memory it was S1 TNG. I clearly saw Picard instead of Sisko. Seriously.

Even more seriously: one thing that has impressed me during this rewatch is how Armin Shimerman 'got' Quark fully in the first episode and never let him go. I am really quite impressed with his acting in a way I wasn't the first time around (this is actually true of several cast members -- and Andrew whassisname, who plays Garak? I just recently saw him "out of character" in an interview: blew me completely away)

Here, I thought Quark, groveling and all, was at least plausible, and was the best part of the episode. When I first watched MAH, back in the day, I thought it was forgivable as a basis for some sort of TNG-style 'Quark redemption' (which, as I've explained ealier, is not a great thing) based on my limited exposure and mistaken impression of what TNG was (i.e. would be come after I stopped watching). Given that presumption, I was willing to accept this episode as "bad TNG with a plot development purpose")

Edited by Orpheus, 27 January 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#19 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Amusingly, I think this episode would have actually worked in season 1 of TNG with the TNG cast. But then again I don't have a very high opinion of TNG season 1 or TNG in general. But more than anything, I wish this episode didn't exist. Period.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#20 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I still don't think this episode is bottom of the barrel... but perhaps because I've been traumatized by later Ferengi sojourns. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users