• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

New evidence reopens a thirty-year-old murder case and Dax's previous host, Curzon, is the prime suspect.

[Source: Memory Alpha. Used with permission under the Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial 2.5 Generic License]

#2 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Is there an behind-the-scenes reason O'Brien doesn't appear?
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

He was probably filming a movie, since he didn't appear here and the next two episodes, "THE PASSENGER" and "MOVE ALONG HOME".

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

^^^Was he shooting the snapper?  (A decent adaption of the roddy mcdoyle book?).

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Maybe it was the darling movie "The Man Who Went Up A Hill And Came Down A Mountain"?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

I didn't see that one but do vaguely recall it.  

Or maybe it was just that they had a big cast and world to establish and they didn't have to pay him if he wasn't in the eps.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#7 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 10 January 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Or maybe it was just that they had a big cast and world to establish and they didn't have to pay him if he wasn't in the eps.
Judging by how many hoops the writers sometimes jumped through to shoehorn irrelevant cast members into an episode ("We took the Defiant to Earth, but Quark is going to call us on the viewscreen for no good reason!"), I think they had to pay them whether they appeared or not. Except maybe Cirroc Lofton?

#8 Rhys

Rhys

... a learning experience.

• Islander
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostDev F, on 10 January 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

View PostBklnScott, on 10 January 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Judging by how many hoops the writers sometimes jumped through to shoehorn irrelevant cast members into an episode ("We took the Defiant to Earth, but Quark is going to call us on the viewscreen for no good reason!"), I think they had to pay them whether they appeared or not. Except maybe Cirroc Lofton?

From what I know about these things (which shouldn't be considered authoritative), that can vary from actor to actor, based on the contract. Sometimes they'll have a minimum # of episodes and/or shooting days in a season, sometimes they'll be contracted to be in all episodes.

I do believe that, if they've got their name in the opening credits, they get a certain amount of residuals regardless.
"It's easy to bond over hating something together - The Internet is total proof of that." Cyd/Codex, The Guild

Change the world!  No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.

#9 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I think the movie THE MAN WHO WENT UP A HILL BUT CAME DOWN A MOUNTAIN was filmed in the hiatus between season 4 and 5.  I think this is true because I remember some banter between O'Brien and Ensign Muniz on "THE SHIP" about him 'climbing mountains in Ireland before you were born' and reading somewhere that it was an in joke reference to the movie he just did.

#10 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

This is one of my favorite episodes in the first season, sensibly written and critically important to developing the relationship between Dax and Sisko. The guest performances are of high quality (especially Fionnula Flanigan, terrific in every Trek role she's had) and the dialogue leaps off the screen, not surprising given the writers involved. It's always difficult to put episodes like this in context, where I realize it's perhaps the first that really fleshes out the Trill species. It's impressive that the sheer amount of exposition remains fascinating and doesn't bog down the drama.

I also liked the exciting first act kidnapping sequence, where the stakes were high and you could feel it from everyone involved. The last-minute "saving the day via tractor beam" sequence was especially clever. Also, the scene where Odo manipulates Quark is a classic. "This is blackmail!" "No, it's business... and business is business."
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#11 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

I remember one reviewer of this ep. compared it to some of the TNG trial eps. and it is pretty similar to them, to me it was a pretty boring ep. and Jadzia wasn't to my mind a very developed character thoughout the run of the series. The ep. did bring up teh idea that present Trill host might be held accountable for the crimes of a past host, but that idea went nowhere.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#12 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

The glorious Anne Haney and the marvelous Fionnula Flanagan elevate a decent mystery episode that tries (and fails) to make Dax more interesting.  The writers and actress haven't figured her out yet at this point on the show.

But I'm glad I rewatched it for Anne especially - just adored her (in this and everything else I ever saw her in, including her TNG ep).
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#13 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

View Postwritergroupie, on 18 January 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

The glorious Anne Haney and the marvelous Fionnula Flanagan elevate a decent mystery episode that tries (and fails) to make Dax more interesting.  The writers and actress haven't figured her out yet at this point on the show.

I don't think they ever reall succeeded in making Dax interesting which is why Terry Ferrell left the show ultimately.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#14 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostDWF, on 19 January 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

I don't think they ever reall succeeded in making Dax interesting which is why Terry Ferrell left the show ultimately.
I think once they allowed Terry to bring the mischievous twinkle in her eye out more into the actions of the character, Jadzia improved.  But she was never a truly great character, no.  Funny enough, much as I couldn't STAND Ezri (UGH!), I thought she was already a more complex character in her brief time on the show than Jadzia managed to be in multiple seasons.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#15 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

This is another great first season episode that still isn't quite DS9 yet. BUt the action scenes are all good, the amazing Bajoran judge is all just great.

Unlike Jill, I have always loved the Dax character, although I will be a guy and say I loved Ezri just...a....little....more due to her magnificent hotness levels.

enTranced
Posted Image

#16 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I always sort of felt like the change in Dax-- from mysterious and reserved at the beginning to card-playing, Klingon-loving rogue-- was a concession to Terry Farrell's acting ability. I could be totally off-base, but I've always felt they needed a really great actress to make their original concept of the character interesting, and Farrell was just sort of okay. So they readjusted the character to something frankly easier, and she did a reasonably good job with it. In the final analysis, I liked Jadzia; she was never in the show's top-five characters, but she ended up okay.

As for Ezri, I'm always torn because I really hated how much they focused on her in season seven, but she was really cute and I think there was the basis of a good character there, if they just hadn't pushed so hard...

#17 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

[Quark] Ezri Dax can push on me any time she wants. [/Quark] :blush:

ahem...

I think we are in agreement on Jadzia Daz

enTranced
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW