• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

A virus infects the station's residents, making almost everyone unable to speak coherently.

[Source: Memory Alpha. Used with permission under the Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial 2.5 Generic License]

#2 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

Sisko acts like a spoiled brat :)
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

I've always had a soft spot for "Babel." It's one of those early episodes that's more investigative TNG than DS9 but it's well-executed, the pacing's great and it has several winning scenes. For instance, the entire teaser with a frazzled O'Brien is an instant classic in my book. There's also several Odo/Quark scenes that continue to develop the relationship between those two. The virus of the week is more clever than most, with scenes of onset (like Dax's) which are truly unsettling.

My big complaint is how quickly the entire situation is resolved. Bashir makes a big deal about how devious and resistant to treatment this virus is and yet, once the assistant comes on board (who freely admits he didn't have much to do with the creation of the virus), the antidote is created extremely quickly and then administered equally as quickly. It feels like an anticlimax, like they simply ran out of time.

Alright, I've watched enough for now and I'm going to wait until next week for everyone to catch up. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostJosh, on 06 January 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

I've always had a soft spot for "Babel." It's one of those early episodes that's more investigative TNG than DS9 but it's well-executed, the pacing's great and it has several winning scenes. For instance, the entire teaser with a frazzled O'Brien is an instant classic in my book. There's also several Odo/Quark scenes that continue to develop the relationship between those two. The virus of the week is more clever than most, with scenes of onset (like Dax's) which are truly unsettling.

I genuinely enjoyed the episode - but this one got 3 stars from me.  The main plot is really great - but the stupid captain was an early indication of what WASN'T going to work on DS9. More's the pity, because it was a good concept, but the show never really became about the Promenade and the vast array of people intersecting on it.    This was a plot that was intended to show that aspect of the station - a merchant captain caught in stuff and not being a federation priority, nor considering federation problems his own.  But in actual practice - it was a side note that didn't need to develop into a fullblown rescue mission and I could do without it.

The one thing that I found bizarre from the main plot was how debilitated Sisko was.  I mean, WTF? EVERY other person made it to the sick room on their own two feet. The first onset of the disease didn't knock ANYONE out.. anyone, that is, but Sisko, who is found slumped over the ops console, 15 minutes after the onset of the disease.  Um?  Really?  O'Brien seemed to take hours to develop full aphasia! It's a failed bit of editing that's so glaring it's hard to forgive.

My big complaint is how quickly the entire situation is resolved. Bashir makes a big deal about how devious and resistant to treatment this virus is and yet, once the assistant comes on board (who freely admits he didn't have much to do with the creation of the virus), the antidote is created extremely quickly and then administered equally as quickly. It feels like an anticlimax, like they simply ran out of time.

Alright, I've watched enough for now and I'm going to wait until next week for everyone to catch up. ;)

It was created fairly quickly, wasn't it?  But that didn't bother me - the story wasn't about the cure, it was about the disease and the crisis solving.  This fairly typical Trek plot device rarely bothers me.  As you mentioned, the pacing outside of the ending was spot on, and even with some comic moments - (yes, foborg Sisko acts like a brat - but it's entirely comical, especially the second time around), and the Odo /Quark dynamic is brilliant (and yields another comic moment when Odo rears up to strangle Quark for talking about "hazard fees.")

Three stars then -for a "run of the mill" Deep Space Nine episode - if this is "average" - its gonna be a great run!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

In the episode "A Man Alone" Cardie said:

View PostCardie, on 05 January 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

It's interesting here that Rom is just another greedy Ferengi and not yet the bumbling, sort of sweet, idiot savant he turns out to be.

In this one, Odo figures out that Quark is finding a way around his downed Replicators because Quark says "Rom fixed them" and per Odo, "Rom's an idiot."  Interesting to watch the continued evolution of Rom as a character.  I never learned to like him. but seeing his early portrayals feels odd compared to where the character ends up.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

I'll be criticizing Rom more as the show continues (especially once they pair him with the equally grating Leeta). ;)

This was a plot that was intended to show that aspect of the station - a merchant captain caught in stuff and not being a federation priority, nor considering federation problems his own.  But in actual practice - it was a side note that didn't need to develop into a fullblown rescue mission and I could do without it.

It was pretty forced. The jeopardy of the virus was enough for me. We didn't need another one that had little to do with the plot. Without it, we wouldn't have had some of the Quark/Odo banter but they could have come up with another situation for that.

#7 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 09 January 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

In the episode "A Man Alone" Cardie said:

View PostCardie, on 05 January 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

It's interesting here that Rom is just another greedy Ferengi and not yet the bumbling, sort of sweet, idiot savant he turns out to be.

In this one, Odo figures out that Quark is finding a way around his downed Replicators because Quark says "Rom fixed them" and per Odo, "Rom's an idiot."  Interesting to watch the continued evolution of Rom as a character.  
I can't recall which of the DS9 novels it's in, but at one point Odo observes that Rom is one of the very few people he's ever completely underestimated (possibly the highest praise Odo's ever given anyone). Clearly a lot of people did; I look at early-Rom as Rom trying to live up to Ferengi standards, then eventually giving up and deciding to be his own man.

I actually kinda like Rom, he reminds me of Barclay.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#8 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,651 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I liked later Rom more as a concept than as a performance--really, only Armin could tlak like a Ferengi and not sound like a caricature.  However the writing of the whole family's evolution (until the very end) was quite strong.

After I met Max Grodenchik at some cons I liked Rom better because Max is a really nice man.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#9 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostCardie, on 09 January 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

I liked later Rom more as a concept than as a performance--really, only Armin could tlak like a Ferengi and not sound like a caricature.  However the writing of the whole family's evolution (until the very end) was quite strong.

I do recall a much more tolerable Rom (and Leeta) in "It's Always a Paper Moon", where everyone involved toned down the characters and made them react reasonably and sensitively.

#10 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Watched this one last night.  Was again amazed at how perfectly and quickly the Avery/Cirroc bond appeared onscreen.  No one struggling with communication was more believable than Jake's silent suffering and his father's earnest and worried reassurance.

Otherwise, some fun moments with overworked O'Brien (hooray for believability - the station is still not working properly!) and Odo/Quark squabbling.

But I kind of squirmed at Kira's decision to expose the doctor to the disease on the *hunch* that he was involved in making it.  What if he hadn't been?  She could have killed him by exposing him.  But then again, it worked for Kira's maverick nature to act first and do the most immediate good and worry about the consequences... never. LOL

Still this episode held up better than I recalled it.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostCybersnark, on 09 January 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

I look at early-Rom as Rom trying to live up to Ferengi standards, then eventually giving up and deciding to be his own man.

That's exactly how I see Rom too.  Very well put.  :cool:

I actually kinda like Rom, he reminds me of Barclay.

*raises hand*  Total Rom fan here, from start to end!  :waves:

(And for that matter, a major Barclay fan too! :D )

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I always liked Rom, too.  And I agree that once he decided to stop living by Ferengi standards he became a much more fleshed our and 3 dimensional character.

I think a lot of that is due to Ira Steven Behr, since he seemed to have a huge affection for the Ferengi on the series.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users