• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

IN this holiday season, here is a neat lil history read, aint too much, just three short web
pages-
get this, churches in Yemen, historically, yrs 400-530 , eye opening? heck ya,
http://abcnews.go.co...rly-islam/story

>'
The invaders continued their attacks. Southern Arabia's holy warrior, Abraha, had taken control of large areas before long. He even attempted to free bishops being held prisoner by the Persian enemy in Nisibis (in modern-day Turkey), some 2,500 kilometers away.

The man embarked on a religious crusade at the same time. He rebuilt the churches that had been destroyed in Najran, and he had new ones built in Marib and Aden.

His most beautiful church was in Sanaa. It had gilded doors and a throne made of ebony and ivory. In the morning, the rays of the sun shone through an alabaster panel in the dome. The Byzantines supported the project, sending craftsmen, marble and mosaics.

The result was an architectural miracle, the likes of which all of Arabia had never seen before. '
<
so at,
the time of the proffet's birth, a major church in Sanaa, there in the highlands up inland,
hinterlands above Aden, south of Mecca, and there _may_ have been a church in Mecca
too? wow
and that whole area in the crucible betwixt the East Empire, Constantinople, and the great
Pars, the Persian powers east of them. Right where the proffet had his early life, and his
revelations, and his , erm, anti anything but this, erm, fight battles and make all the land
Islam, and so there are not exactly churches round Sanaa way anymore; but there was this
brief changing times....

ps, I'll put a new year firework photo thing on the other post, folder,the new year one,
at least a couple things since OT has been so quiet for days.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I tried to read this but got a "page unavailable" message. I'll see if I can find another link.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#3 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

page unavail from abc? wow, who knew- let's get this story on't from
de Spiegel, de
http://www.spiegel.d...m-a-874048.html
including a nice colour MAP Showing the locations and in context neighbors et al,

and see bout that prev story on't too eh ;)

oh and here's a nice piece on't, http://www.ethiomedi...ssert/5028.html
>
'
All of this suggests that the man with a strange, round face is a descendant of the conquerors from Africa who succeeded in making one of the boldest landing operations in ancient times.
The first spearhead was targeted at the capital Zafar. Like a fortress in the sky, the town was perched on an extinct volcano, at an altitude of 2,800 meters (9,184 feet) above sea level. Its walls, riddled with towers and alarm bells, were four-and-a-half kilometers long. About 25,000 people lived in Zafar. '

Edited by offworlder, 02 January 2013 - 04:51 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Holiday, season, middle east, church, history

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users