• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,841 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Three old Klingon warriors reunite on Deep Space 9, seeking Curzon Dax, with whom they entered into a blood oath to one day exact revenge on an enemy for killing the warriors' firstborn sons. Finding Jadzia as worthy a warrior as they felt Curzon to be, she joins the Klingons in completing their vendetta.

#2 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

"Perhaps this is a good day to LIVE!"

I am of two minds for this episode. Taken by itself, this is a excellent Dax story showing how Dax in all it's hosts is very interested and very respecting of all the alien cultures s/he meets. So much so that it is willing to honor a Klingon blood oath made by another host. It does a great service to both Dax and Jadzia and spends a lot time showing WHY Jadzia is going to risk both her carieer AND her morality or her soul depending on how you look at it.

I also love a good honest look at Klingons on any Trek series, and this is a great one and finally, we have John F*%^ing Colicos ladies and gentlemen! I simply adore him on any show he is on and I have since I was a child and he was and always will be my Baltar! Burn Galactica burn!

But sadly, and this is not the fault of this episode at all, this led to Klingon Jadzia when Worf showed up and that sadly does tarnish this episode for me personally. Dax loves all aliens but when Worf showed up she became a Klingon groupie. :(

But on a show that has :

"I need another arm! How can I be forced to choose between perfection and drink!"

Well, I simply must give it 4 stars!

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 11 March 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Looking forward to watching this one tonight. From this point on, it's good to great episodes until the end of the season, which is awesomeness.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Jadzia never got that many good episodes early on (or even later on, in some ways) and fortunately, this is one of them. Really solid job from Terry Farrell and the Klingons were all very entertaining. Good battle scenes too. Nothing like the clanging of Bat'leth against Bat'leth to get the blood boiling.

Still, what struck me as the most interesting were the scenes that didn't involve the Klingons, like the subtle Kira/Dax scene or Sisko urging (ordering, more or less) Dax not to go. The final scene where they silently judged her was beautifully done.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#5 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

This was an undeniably fun episode. For an old TOS fan like me, any mention of the original series brings a smile, and bringing back three favorite villains was a really big deal. It was also a pretty good Dax episode, with a nice moral quandary for her and that great scene with Kira. A couple of quibbles:

1. I know it was a stylistic thing, but I wish they'd named the Albino. I kept wanting to know who the heck this guy was they kept talking about.

2. Seems a bit coincidental that Dax was friends with all three main Klingons who clashed with Kirk in the original series. Although this becomes less problematic if we assume everybody clashed with Kirk sooner or later. ;)

3. It was a bit jarring to hear her repeat the phrase "I am Dax, godfather of your son!" so soon after the episode that ended, significantly, on the phrase "I'm not Curzon." And I know those things aren't totally inconsistent: She's still Dax, just a new Dax. But at the time, it felt like they didn't know what the heck she was.

But ultimately they did sort out Dax, and this episode was part of that, and these other little things hardly matter by comparison to the good things about the episode. I'd give it about three and a half stars, and four wouldn't be completely out of line...

Edited by QuiGon John, 12 March 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#6 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

This one is so hard to grade because it's kind of all over the place.

2 stars for switching out our classic TOS Klingons to modern head-bump Klingons with NO attempt at an explanation for why they suddenly look different. :p  (The Tribbles ep managed to address it nicely though. LOL)

3 stars for the plot which with its tons of expository backstory didn't really grab me  "There was this Albino, see..."

4 stars for FINALLY fully establishing the character of Jadzia Dax.  She's Curzon with a brain and kicks butt when she hangs with Klingons.  Got it.  This was also a beautifully filmed episode - I really noticed how gorgeous a lot of the shots were framed in this one.

5 stars for the awesomeness of Michael Ansara and William Campbell and the idea to bring together three of the greatest Klingons ever!  Okay, two of the greatest Klingons ever :p but even slimey Koloth gets totally redeemed here. :D  This ep so makes me want to go watch some TOS. :)

6 stars for the sheer gloriousness of the SO underrated and truly magnificent John Colicos who can shift so subtly and sweetly from broadly raunchily drunk to sober and contemplative that you don't even realize it's happening. :bowdown:

And how can no one quote the best line: Odo's "It's been a Klingon afternoon." :D
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users