• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Kira's lover is accused of collaborating with the Cardassians during the Occupation.

#2 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

"Accept this gift from the prophets."

When this episode first aired I was disappointed since it came on the heels of far better episodes. Sure it is a fine episode on it's own and it is very important in the seasons to come as Winn is finally crowned as a Big Bad.

And yet....it lacks the urgency of The Maquis, the high drama of The Wire or even a cool sci-fi hook like Shadowplay. It is just a fun political intrigue story. Something that Garek would love as Bareil sacrifices much for the state. :)

Not much to say other then Nana Visitor's thigh revealing night dress still makes me whimper in ecstasy!

3/5 thanks to Kira's legs. :wub:

enTranced
Posted Image

#3 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

I remember this mostly as the episode in which it became clear that Odo was in love with Kira. It was also, I suppose, a pretty decent show about Bajoran politics. Making Opaka the culprit was a pretty gutsy call by the standards of 90's Trek. But I didn't connect with it that much because I never found Bareil that sympathetic. Probably because I was a 15-year-old kid with a crush on Nana Visitor. (Yes, I was jealous of a fictional character. Don't judge me! :p )

Anyway, Winn as Kai was an important move for the character and opened up a lot of possibilities for the show. So it was a pretty good creative decision all around; eventually most of these plots went a bit sour (Kira-Odo went from heart-rendingly sympathetic to annoying, Winn took a turn from Mostly Evil to Bwahaha at the end, Bajoran politics were marginalized, etc.) But it took them five years to go south, which is pretty good by TV standards...

#4 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

This was much better than I remembered it. Going in, I was thinking, "Crap, a slow-moving Bareil story. This could be a snooze" but it turned out to be more about Kira and fortunately, Nana Visitor is always up for a challenge. It also helps having Louise Fletcher in several scenes. No one does slimy better than her and the scene where she tells Kira off is riveting. The look on Visitor's face is practically a masterclass in reaction shot acting. Even Bareil seems looser than usual this time around. All of his orb vision scenes were riveting (as they usually are with this show),  Dramatically, they definitely made the right move in making Winn Kai but man, what a boo-hiss moment! I love Winn's scene with Sisko, like watching a chess game. She knew he knew what she was doing and vice versa, yet the game continued.

I wonder why no one has taken those security chips away from Quark. They came in useful here but why would Odo allow him to continue having that level of access?

Edited by Josh, 24 March 2013 - 11:03 PM.

"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

I think the reason why Odo let Quark still keep those security rods was to let Quark still have access but with Odo knowing EXACTLY where to look for inconsistencies in security protocols and such.  Knowing exactly what Quark has, he will know exactly what breaches are caused by him and what are caused by an outside source.

Plus, as seen here, Quark having some extra access can help in matters that require a more illegal approach in solving a problem.

#6 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Oh. So. Good.

This was exactly the reason I fell so in love with this show - the politics, the intrigue, the moral quandaries.  It was this part of DS9 that I would so miss when the Dominion and war arcs took over. :(

A wonderful episode.  A master class in acting by the glorious Louise Fletcher. :bowdown:

And yes, I've now fully gotten to the point with Bareil that I got to after several rounds of B5's Sinclair - I no longer see the performance as wooden; I see it as quietly appealing with sparks of humor and charm.

But the best moment of the episode belongs to Rene Auberjonois' Odo.  Who upon hearing Kira's confession that she loved Bareil had his heart break, on camera, under a ton of makeup, so beautifully and painfully that there was no return for this 'ship.  Exquisite, sir, simply exquisite.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users