• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

When Cardassians arrest Miles O'Brien for working with the Maquis, he's put on a Cardassian trial, where the verdict is known before the trial begins: guilty.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

This was an interesting look into the Cardassian justice system and I loved Fritz Weaver but the children in the courtroom was rather odd and it was another torture O'Brien ep. in the end. And it was cool seeing John Beck again one of the many things he was ini over the years was a TV remake of The Time Machine.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

After a string of very strong episodes, this is more average, but still very watchable. Colm Meaney is very strong (as usual) and there were two especially attention-getting scenes, with O'Brien's brutal processing and Bashir talking to the Maquis invader. Problem is, everything else felt very by-the-numbers, to the point where I'm struggling to think of anything to say.

Oh, yeah. Odo was AWESOME in this. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

"What happened?"
"You won."
"They're going to kill me" - Odo and the Conservator Kovat.

I loved this episode BECAUSE it is a torture O'Brian episode. That is in fact why it works. Of course we care about him, he is the closest to us. Unlike the Starfleet officers, O'Brian is a working Joe. He punches in and out, he has a kidhe has a wife and he goes on vacation. I love the opening of this show were he tries to make sure that the station will keep running without him. I can't tell you how any day before vacation goodbyes were JUST LIKE THAT.

I agree with Josh the processing room with the giant evil light was chilling. More so today then when it first aired since there are far to many humans who would be willing to do that. The courtroom set itself was even more cold and hopeless as it should be. The children in the courtroom made sense from a Cardassian viewpoint as is poor Conservator Kovak just trying to get through another day of getting a pathetic political prisoner to confess to a crime s/he did not commit.

Odo nearly strangling the Archon was perfect. "What do you want me to DO?" was so perfect, although he maybe should have been more use to the Cardassian dystopian version of justice at this point. :p

Other then that, Keiko was at least treated fairly this time around. And the runabout scene where Miles got a clue that Keiko was screaming at him to put down his work and to jump her bones seemed pretty familiar to me for some reason. ;)

4/5

enTranced
Posted Image

#5 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Don't have much to say about this one, except:

1. It was an effective torture-O'Brien episode.
2. It used Odo and his past really well.
3. I loved the moment enTranced mentioned, and Fritz Weaver generally. He was great in the Twilight Zone, too.
4. I find it hard to believe any Cardassians think their justice system is actually just, but heck. People in real life believe all kinds of crazy stuff, so okay.

Solid, not much to write home about. 8 out of 10.

Edited by QuiGon John, 27 March 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#6 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

While I was never a fan of the "torture O'Brien" episodes, they always let Colm do a great acting job.  And it was nice to see him interacting with Odo and Rene Auberjonois was particularly strong in this episode as well.  Good also to see Julian standing up to defend his friend (I'm such a fan of their bromance).

You can tell Fritz Weaver was having a lot of fun with his character from pontification to humiliation. :)  Also good to see Gul Evek again.

But along with following up on the earlier discussion of Cardassian trials following the Wonderland model of "sentence first - verdict afterwards", this seems to be the episode that establishes a plot point that would later be relevant in "Second Skin" - Cardassians masquerading as other species.  I don't think I ever thought about this episode being a setup for that one.

Oh, and it looked like several shots that would become stock shots for the show were introduced here?  The 2 Cardassians on the roof and the 3 looking up at the monitors.  Those shots would be re-used a lot as I recall.

Edited by writergroupie, 30 March 2013 - 09:20 PM.

I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users