• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Sisko takes an untested Starfleet warship into the Gamma Quadrant in an attempt to find the Founders of the Dominion. (Season Premiere)

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

The Defiant was awesome to see in action it's a shame we didn't see them taking out more enemy vessels. I really iked how Sisko got Quark onboard for the mission and I liked Dax's new hairstyle. And this ep. marked the brief run DS9 had on the air by itself.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

It was also the start of the Next Generization of DS9 - for better or worse.  But I'll comment when I get there.  I've only re-watched Emissary so far.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#4 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I remember thinking that Season 3 was one of the weaker seasons of DS9 (because it was in the middle of such an unwieldy transition) but I may change my mind once I rewatch the episodes.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

I remember the first time I saw this episode as it aired back then.  And the reveal at the end with Odo meeting other Changelings.

It was at that moment, for some reason, I KNEW that they would be the Founders.  The next week, I was so amazed, and proud of myself, that I figured that out.

#6 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

And the Defiant was and is a badass.

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I've rewatched this twice now (the first time, I was tired and thought that maybe I was underselling the episode) but my conclusion pretty much stands. It's okay, has some good character and action moments but fails to really grab me. It's clearly obvious that the show is in the middle of a large transition to an action-adventure format and at times, the seams really show. Still, it's hard to deny the Defiant is a pretty badass ship (with an interesting bridge set) and the creepy submarine cat-and-mouse moment with the Jem'Hadar ships was tense and well-presented. The final battle is probably one of the better "shake and blow things up" moments that the show ever had. Good work by Jay Chattaway as well.

Still, it's hard to shake the feeling all of this isn't where the show's strengths are (were) at. You're going to see me making this argument quite a bit this season (which I've always found wildly uneven).
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#8 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

"I brought home a little surprise from Earth for the Dominion" - Sisko

Considering The Search brought me my favorite Starship, like EVAH, The Defiant, yeah....I love this episode. :cool:

The Defiant looks cool, it kicks ass and it's a tiny little firecracker and I have always loved the hell out of it. Storywise the show needed it. I disagree with Scott above on how it "TNGized" the show. Yes, it finally gave Sisko more then a canoe to travel around in but Sisko could not run from his problems like Picard and Kirk did. But what it did was finally allow the crew to kick some ass. I don't mind space going sad sack shows like Farscape or Firefly, but I also love my space going badasses like Star Trek.

On a purely ship geek note can I say I love the Defiant's bridge? Yes it has always been silly that ships that cloak turn off the lights on Trek but it just looks cool and I love how they planned for it on the Defiant with the little spot lights, including the one on Sisko's chair.

The Jem'Hadar showdown is cool and when we first get to see Pulse Phasers in action well hell, that is just awesome and still Star Trek unlike the Star Wars weapons seen in the new movies.

I will go into more detail in part 2 but I still loved the Great Link and the female changeling leader emerging and still shifting while walking. Aw-Freaking-Som.

5/5

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 28 March 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image

#9 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Really interesting to see the tonal change that bringing TNG writers onto the staff caused for DS9.  Larger universe issues and space battles were the order of the day.  At least until the new writing staff got settled in and would find its way into a compromise of what DS9 would now be.

Best moment on a macro level: the introduction of the beloved space turtle - our tough little ship, the Defiant.  Oh I've missed her! :)  I'm with enT - I LOVE THIS SHIP!

Best moment on a micro level: Sisko and Jake's discussion of their perspective change on how DS9 had become home to them as it had for us the fans as well.  And it was good to be home. :)

Runner up moment: Sisko and Dax's talk about how he's not admiral material, he's a hands-on fighter who needs to be in the thick of things.  Oh. Yes.

Also good stuff: Seska!  Erm, sorry, T'Rul! :D  Either way, Martha Hackett was awesome and it was too bad DS9 had to lose her to VOY although since she was one of the few bright spots on that show, they needed her more than DS9 did. :p

And the first introduction of the Female Shapeshifter - along with Kai Winn, the other Big Bad of DS9.  I was re-watching this first moment of her introduction and realized she really was one of the most enjoyably "alien" characters ever in the Trek universe (outside of something like the 8472 or the wormhole aliens which were completely unrelatable) who was allowed to remain just as she was.  So many other aliens were just aspects of ourselves in bumpy foreheads who we could negotiate with or ally with as necessary, but the Founders were truly allowed to have such a different cultural perspective that really never changed despite their encounters with the Federation.  That was rather refreshing.

The third season also brought some new attempts at costuming (Odo's collar and belt), makeup (Odo further refined) and hair (Dax's whatever that was LOL, Sisko's shorter better but not quite there yet haircut, and an adjustment of Odo's hairpiece for the better as well).

EDIT: Gah!  How did I forget to say: EDDINGTON!  Woo!  (And I hadn't noticed before that when he introduced himself to Kira, he was flirting!)

Edited by writergroupie, 31 March 2013 - 11:33 PM.

I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users