• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Quark finds an abandoned Jem'Hadar child, and Odo is the only person who can control him.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

This was the somewhat obligatory Jem'Hadar backround story, Bumper Robinson did a good job with the part and I had seen him before in the Generation X movie so it was nice seeing him again. But in the end the Jem'Hadar were kind of doomed as a race to remain just as they were genetically programmed, despite attempts over the years to try and change that. This ep. also brought the parental side of Sisko and some sympathy from Odo since he was in a similar position in his past.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I always loved episodes that incorporated Sisko and his son.  Watching them was always a treat for me, for reasons I explained when I put "EXPLORERS" in my top 10 list of episodes.

This episode always brings up the eternal conflict of who wins... nature, or nurture?  I'm actually glad they let nature win in this case, because in some ways, it means it was not a happy ending, which happened a number of times on DS9.  Another reason why I always loved this series, because it didn't always end happy, just like real life.

#4 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Since the boy went back to his own kind I can't really see that as a sad ending.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

In that sense, I agree.

But it was sad for Odo, because he was not able to help him overcome his genes.  I think Odo was thinking that if he can change this one young Jem'Hadar, he might have a chance for any others he may encounter.

#6 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

That sounds more like that Bashir thought in Hippocratic Oath, but here I think Odo was just trying to keep the boy from becoming a lab rat, allowing him to battle holographic fighters in the holodeck was a bar idea though. If this sotry had played out over a few eps. things might've been different but everything felt rushed here. Pretty much all they were trying to do was to give us some backround on the Jem'Hadar.

#7 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Well, Odo himself said that he didn't want him to become a lab rat.  I think he might also have been thinking that he could change them, maybe in the back of his mind.

#8 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostFarscapeOne, on 02 February 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Well, Odo himself said that he didn't want him to become a lab rat.  I think he might also have been thinking that he could change them, maybe in the back of his mind.

Yeah, but look at how he went about doing it, he allowed the boy to fight on the holodeck had he tried to teach the boy how to farm or knit that might be different, but Odo only seemed to make things worse. I think that like Sisko he had parental feelings for the boy but like so many parents he really had no idea how to be a parent.

#9 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

I, Jem'Hadar aka Quark Buys a Baby

Meh.

Idea had possibilities but the execution wasn't very interesting despite Bumper Robinson doing a great job as the Jem'Hadar.

As for Jake & The Dabo Girl.  Um, yeah, no.  Aside from eww and the fact that the actress looked about 30, it's a bad adolescent fantasy, again, poorly executed.  And eww.  Though I guess this establishes Jake the Writer.  Again eww. :p
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#10 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

I think this is one of the episodes of the season I least look forward to rewatching simply because I remember it being so boring. "Second Skin" is great (will probably watch that tonight) but maybe I can find a way to casually skip "The Abandoned?" :p
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#11 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

With everyone wanting to skip this episode, makes me think "THE ABANDONED" is a very apt name for this episode.

#12 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

The first 20 minutes are a drag - other than the sweet Odo smile we get when he puts Kira's housewarming gift of a plant in his old bucket.  Can't resist one of those innocent Odo smiles. :)

But once Bumper Robinson comes in, the energy changes for the better and I still think it's worth rewatching for his really good intense performance - and as FarscapeOne noted above, the classic not-necessarily-happy DS9 ending.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#13 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

But as I said it was a happy ending for the Jem Hadar, teh ep. has an ill defined conflict of nurture VS nature since all Odo did was make things worse. If Odo really wanted the Jem Hadar to learn to be something other than cannon fodder he should've tried teaching him to do other things, something other than beating up on holosuite baddies. But I do think this ep. was important in giving us some knowldge of Jem Hadar biology.

#14 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

"First rule of Dabo : Watch the table and not the girl" - Marta

That line and scene always made me wonder what happens when your player is a hetero woman? Shouldn't Quark have a few Dabo BOYS to distract them at the wrong time (or right time if you are Quark)?

Anyway, what others have said, we have some very good moments here, and I would add Dinner at the Siskos to that list. Although I wish we had had some time with Marta to see what she wanted to do AFTER being a Dabo girl. There relationship was a little better for me this time around. I must have missed before that she was only 4 years older then Jake last time, but still she sems to be at least 10 years older visually. Sheesh. O'Brian was right, Godspeed Jake. :p

As for the story of our young Jem'Hadar well, I have a problem when I know what the ending will be, there was no way he would be allowed to stay and there was no way that Odo would let him die or be a lab rat. And that was with the full knowledge that he would have had a happier ending on TNG, but even at this point, DS9 is the much more sure of itself Trek series.

But...yeah, I know where we are going as soon as the boy becomes a Jem'Hadar, although I do like how the makeup tries to keep that a secret for so long. :)

Anyway...I'm giving this a 3/5.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 07 April 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

#15 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

I don't know why people assume that the story would've had a happier ending on TNG, Hugh's story didn't have a happy ending and there are parallel's between Hugh and the Jem Hadar's story in this one.

#16 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

This was okay. Not as boring as I remembered but not overly compelling either. I found it interesting that by the time the Jem'Hadar story felt like it had reached its mid-point, there was just six minutes to go and suddenly, the boy was holding a weapon at Sisko. I guess it ended the only way it could have. Doesn't make it more interesting, despite sincere performances. I also found some of Odo's choices to be incredibly questionable, like letting the boy see a recording of the bridge battle from "The Search, Part I" and *especially* letting him battle in the holosuite. What was Odo expecting, in the end?

I like the Jake story a lot more. Lofton always has a great deal of charm and the dinner scene was perhaps the most entertaining in the episode. There were also some character moments that I found reasonable in the episode, like Kira's tour of Odo's quarters.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#17 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hmm.

I too found Odo incredibly questionable in this episode. It was very clear he was prepared to do anything to spare the boy being a lab rat but it shouldn't have been his call to make. As bad as this sounds the boy was indeed a valuable asset to the Federation and Sisko... probably should have been less hands-off. I thought it was a huge mistake to allow the boy to see footage from the Defiant as a way of saying. "This is what your people are." The holosuite I understood but Odo should have stopped the programme and tried a different one the moment it became apparent the boy was going 'feral' for lack of a better word.

Letting the boy go was a huge missed opportunity. Imagine if, as one possibility, thanks to the studies of the boy the Federation learned how to create kerasel white or whatever the drug the Jem'Hadar are addicted to is called.

But the B plot wasn't bad with Jake and the Dabo Girl. It certainly allowed some growth for Jake. And Kira's tour of Odo's quarters gave us some nice insights into Odo and his developing relationship with her.

Edited by Mikoto, 14 April 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Rejected and gone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users