• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Trapped three hundred years in the past, Sisko, Bashir and Dax find themselves confronting one of the darkest hours in Earth's history...

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

It sure took them a long time to report the events in The Search two parter to Starfleet and this story featured the single most technobbable reason for time travel yet in Star Trek history for me and they used the eye of the change as an excuse for the Defiant's survival.

However I rememger when this story came out there was a syndicated article for it in our newspaper, which was and still is exceptionally rare for DS9. I don't know the origin of the article but in a way it was hte beginning of the end of the media coverage on Star Trek, there was some major coverage on Voyager when it came out but htat also quickly faded.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

"When push comes to shove are we all that different from Cardassians or Romulans? If something scares us enough will we hold on to our ideals or will we end up back here?"- Dr.Bashier

And with that Dr. Bashier finally puts to words DS9's mission statement. Pushed to an extreme will a utopia stay a utopia? Is the federation really as great as Grampa PIcard (thanks John!) has been telling us in TNG?

This is a good two pater, not the best but a pretty good time travel yarn, and it has just about every great 90's character actor out there.

I will go onto more detail in part 2 but I have to say, really Star Trek? No cell phones in the 21st century only landlines? :p

4/5

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 14 April 2013 - 08:14 PM.

Posted Image

#4 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

I can't remember Picard ever telling anyone how great the utopia on earth was but if Sisko didn't believe in it he'd never have fought for it as hard as he did. But here Bell's death and the altering of history was his and Bashir's fault so they had to correct it.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Of course Sisko believes in the Federation, it wouldn't be much of a Star Trek show if he didn't! But what makes Sisko different from KIrk and Picard before him is he was the first Commander/Captain who understood that the Federation's culture could not work for everyone. Or as Sisko would say in his awesome style :"It's easy to be a saint in paradise!".

To go off on a tangent, Janeway believed this as well but unlike Sisko she wanted to replace Federation rule with her own Iron Fisted Tyranny! Mistress Janeway forever! :devil:

enTranced
Posted Image

#6 DWF

DWF

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Well I've yet to see any evidence that Kirk or Picard thought that way, in the ep. First Contact Picard openly states the Federation isn't for everybody and he does make mistakes. It is funny how often Rick Berman is villified for destroying Star Trek somehow and yet his "It's easy to be a saint in paradise." line so ofiten quoted and the fact that that line was delievered by a Bajorian religious icon a saint if you will.

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I watched these two episodes together so I'll just comment on them both here. In short, first episode terrific, second episode somewhat disappointing. The first episode is more of a world-builder, getting occasionally preachy but really delving deeply into the circumstances that built the Sanctuary districts. It's juicy drama, with great performances and production design. The second episode is more of a hostage drama and there's some scenes in it which aren't always compelling. It also sidelines characters who started out promising in the first part (like Dax's rescuer). This was originally conceived as one part and I wonder if it wouldn't have worked better that way, or even as a ninety-minute episode (not that those are common). Still, there's plenty of good scenes, like Avery Brooks going apeshit crazy on Dick Miller and the scene between the receptionist and Bashir which enTranced quoted.

What really scares me is that almost twenty years after it aired, this future remains a distinct possibility.

Edited by Josh, 19 April 2013 - 05:49 PM.

"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#8 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, I'm a month behind. :(  Gonna try to slowly but surely catch up!

So, Past Tense Part 1.  Preachy and tries too hard and umm, yeah, that's all I've got.  Aside from a lot of "teching the tech" technobabble sci-fi stuff going on. :p

Okay, Avery gives 200% here and there are some good guest star turns and it's nice to see Jadzia immediately making smart choices (even if using her feminine wiles to do so).  But otherwise, yeah, I never liked blatantly preachy eps that shout "I'M TRYING TO MAKE A SOCIALLY RELEVANT POINT HERE - DO YOU SEE IT?"  Which is why I will be the only person to not give "Far Beyond the Stars" five stars.  Because I think that one is over the top preachy too.  Yeah, I'm a rebel.  Deal with it. :p
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#9 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Actually, at this point, we're all behind. ;) enTranced last reviewed "Improbable Cause" and I'm one ep behind him. I think we're supposed to be near the end of the season according to the schedule. Life just kinda caught up with me.

#10 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Oh good - glad I'm not alone! :D
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#11 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Definitely not alone although I think you've lit a fire under my hiney. I'll watch "Through the Looking Glass" tonight! ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users