• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

After a serious accident, Bashir struggles to save the life of Vedek Bareil while Kai Winn concludes a peace treaty with Cardassia. Jake and Nog reluctantly explore the differences between Federation and Ferengi cultures.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

I can't really say I had any bad feelings about Bareil's death but they went alittle too far in trying to keep him alive given how little he had to do with the peace talks. I also have to say that Winn was alittle out of character at least til the end, it was odd that she appeared to heve no confidence in her own abilities, then of course when she no longer needed Bareil she was willing to let him die.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

Yeah I just finished watching this episode for the first time and I'm not sure what to make of it.

I knew Bareil was going to die sooner or later to make way for Odo in Kira's affections so that was never going to be a surprise. But I dunno. The whole episode seemed a little flat. They went to such extremes to keep him alive and for most of the ep Kira just seemed to... stand there. It wasn't until the end we got to see what kind of a toll this was taking on her.
Rejected and gone.

#4 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm not sure if anything could have saved this episode from being a deathly bore. I just don't care about Bareil and even if I did, scene after scene is flat and lacking energy. Louise Fletcher especially seemed subdued (reportedly ill with the flu during filming). It goes without saying that Bareil was wooden but it amused me that half brain-dead Bareil wasn't necessarily any more wooden than his regular self! I did like a few of the scenes where Bashir read Winn the riot act and the final Kira monologue (punctuated with good music) was decent but otherwise, zzzzzzzzz.

Probably not helping is a B-plot which doesn't really seem to gel with the tone of the A-plot. I don't care for Nog when he's played this broadly (as he often was pre-Starfleet) and the entire story seems taken out of a discarded sitcom script. At least Odo kept them in jail for a while, gave them some time to make a game out of bouncing off the forcefield.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

"Lets not engage in meaningless conversation, just sit there and look beautiful" - Ladies man Rom

*sigh*

Other then a fun B story pretty much what Josh said. Poor Bareil, not enough to kill him once they kill him what 4 times? But they do it in such a lifeless, no emotion way. It was just a relief when the A story came to a close.

But the episode is salvaged a little by the B story. Who doesn't remember your first outside your comfort zone friendship? When you are insulting your friend even though you are not eve aware of doing it. The best part of this episode is still Jake and Nog having a heart to heart in Odo's cell and the way they finally reach a understanding.

3/5 for the B story.

enTranced
Posted Image

#6 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostenTranced, on 19 April 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Other then a fun B story pretty much what Josh said. Poor Bareil, not enough to kill him once they kill him what 4 times? But they do it in such a lifeless, no emotion way. It was just a relief when the A story came to a close.

Part of me wonders whether it was an unintentional metaphor. You often hear from people after their loved ones have passed away after a long illness that they're deeply missed but at the same time, it's a relief their suffering is over. That said, in my case, the suffering wasn't quite over because I watched the equally dull "Heart of Stone" just after this. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#7 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I hate this episode.

Did I mention I hate this episode?

Just checking.

I hated it when it aired and I hate it more now that I actually have come to really enjoy the Kira/Bareil relationship.  It was a crappy abrupt ending to his storyline that he didn't deserve.  Which followed Kai Opaka's crappy abrupt ending which she kinda deserved. LOL

I understand the writers clearly wanted to free up Kira for some Kira/Odo 'shipping.  And they wanted to get the voice of reason (Bareil) out of Kai Winn's way so she could go full-on EEEEEEEEEVVVVILLLLLLLLLLL.  And it really did make no sense that the Bajoran people would follow Winn when Bareil was still around.  But I would much rather have had a story where Winn actively got Bareil out of the way instead of shoe-horning him into this pitiful Frankenstein story.

Did I mention I hate this episode?

(Although on re-watch, the Jake/Nog storyline rather charmed me - especially with the Sisko/Jake scene of Sisko conceding he'd been wrong and that Jake and Nog had a great friendship after all.)
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users