Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

3.15 Destiny

DS9-RW

  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

    I'm not the boss of you!

  • Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

An ancient Bajoran prophecy of doom complicates the first joint Bajoran, Cardassian, and Federation science mission; an attempt to establish a permanent communications link through the wormhole.



#2 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Kind of nice seeing Tracy Scoggins and Erick Avari and I loved the scenes between Scoggins and Meaney I liked it that her prejudice was because he was male and not because he's a human, it made for a nice switch. But I do think that Sisko was pretty harsh with Kira for her religous beliefs because he's having trouble with his role as the Emissary. And the array set up things in future stories, it's a shame though that the peace between Bajor and Cardassia is short lived.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Tracy Scoggins makes a VERY hot Cardassian.

It would have been nice to hear the rest of the prophecy that Sisko was listening to at the end of the episode.

#4 Mikoto

Mikoto

    Rejected on all levels.

  • Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Harsh with Kira for her religious beliefs?

How so and in what way? I'm not saying he wasn't just that I may have missed it.
Rejected and gone.

#5 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostMikoto, on 18 April 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Harsh with Kira for her religious beliefs?

How so and in what way? I'm not saying he wasn't just that I may have missed it.

He pulled her right off of the bridge after she made the connection between the comet and the prophecy and told her religion has no place on the bridge.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#6 Mikoto

Mikoto

    Rejected on all levels.

  • Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Ah, thanks. Now I remember what you're referring to. ;)

That was a difficult episode as it blurs science and religion. But it probably doesn't have a place on a Starfleet bridge. On the other hand she seemed more to be vocalizing her sudden realisation than actually trying to spread her religion. She didn't correct the Cardassian when she took a different interpretation. A slip of the tongue that could have been handled a little more gently.
Rejected and gone.

#7 Josh

Josh

    He stares...

  • Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Quite good. This is the type of episode we'd see all the time in the second season but which was largely phased out in the third in favor of more action and the Dominion. Lots of juicy Sisko scenes, Kira scenes and friendly Cardassians! It's such a breath of fresh air seeing more sympathetic Cardassian characters (after Ghemor in "Second Skin"). I could have lived without the Gilora/O'Brien misunderstandings, which were mildly amusing but seemed only there as counterbalance to the weightier main story.

I liked the very last scene, where Yarik is telling Sisko part of another prophecy, one which could easily be interpreted as foreshadowing the series finale. I doubt the writers thought that far ahead so it's probably just coincidence but it made me smile.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#8 enTranced

enTranced

    Chasing Your Starlight!

  • Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

"Well, those are just about the friendliest vipers I have ever met" - Sisko

Very good episode, I have enjoyed this one multiple times for the reasons that other have already said, good Sisko and Kira moments but also some great moments with O'Brian since unlike Josh I very much enjoyed Gilora and O'Brian not only because they are fun, but also highlight just how much O'Brian has changed from being our hard nosed Cardie war veteran. He would never betray Keiko but he can now look at a attractive Cardassian woman now and flirt instead of sounding a red alert.

Speaking of Kira and Sisko I mostly remembered this one for having Sisko and Kira sort of call each other out. "I don't want to be your emissary!" "But you are!" but this time around I noticed how gently the episode dealt with it. I think this was partly modern Trek panic of ever having the Captain/Commander being questioned something that turned into full on paranoia by the time Voyager came around. But I think it is also supposed to be a sign that Kira is not like her fellow Bajorans. Yarik and just about every other major Bajoran charcater we have seen to date would have been bellowing PROPHECY!!!!!!! in Sisko's ear when the comet showed up. But Kira just calmly brought it to Sisko's attention and to her credit fell in behind Sisko when he makes his decision. A HUGE change from the Kira of three years ago who cheerfully went over Sisko's head. :cool:

The message of the episode is sadly only MORE relevant now instead of less as we have religious wars springing up all over and our own US tradition of wars on Christmas as more and more religious people are misunderstanding what their holy books are saying much like poor (former) Vedik Yarik. :(

  4/5 for this one.

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 23 April 2013 - 01:56 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Mikoto

Mikoto

    Rejected on all levels.

  • Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

What's wrong with having the Captain/Commander being questioned once in a while? They're not all-knowing.
Rejected and gone.

#10 writergroupie

writergroupie

    Mad for Moffat...

  • Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

The one persistent thing that struck me as I rewatched this ep was how much it made Voyager look like a failure.

Not in terms of quality but in terms of what it managed to do with the exact same setup: namely, two peoples with differing belief systems must work together for a common goal.

On DS9 that was the Bajorans and Starfleet, as represented by Commander Sisko and Major Kira.

On VOY that was the Maquis and Starfleet, as represented by Captain Janeway and Commander Chakotay.

This ep was a perfect example of how DS9 managed to maintain the conflict between the two different belief systems as the characters struggled to work together despite their differences.  And they were ALLOWED their differences!  And shown ultimately to both be right.

And yet VOY had the Maquis acting as Starfleet officers so soon that you forgot they were supposed to ever have had opposing viewpoints in the first place.

It's so frustrating as VOY could have been SO much more interesting if they'd been allowed to maintain conflict rather than fall into TNG 2.0 "nobody argues around here" lack of drama.  Grr.

Don't mean to turn this into a DS9 vs. VOY argument (as there were things about VOY I really did like and think the show just never really found itself until too late - kind of like Enterprise... huh) but it was just the ONLY thing I could see as I watched Sisko and Kira struggle with the balance of Bajoran faith and Starfleet science - that it was what DS9 excelled in: conflict and what VOY completely lacked. :(
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#11 writergroupie

writergroupie

    Mad for Moffat...

  • Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

View PostJosh, on 19 April 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

This is the type of episode we'd see all the time in the second season but which was largely phased out in the third in favor of more action and the Dominion.
This, totally. :/
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#12 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Postwritergroupie, on 08 May 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

The one persistent thing that struck me as I rewatched this ep was how much it made Voyager look like a failure.

Not in terms of quality but in terms of what it managed to do with the exact same setup: namely, two peoples with differing belief systems must work together for a common goal.

On DS9 that was the Bajorans and Starfleet, as represented by Commander Sisko and Major Kira.

On VOY that was the Maquis and Starfleet, as represented by Captain Janeway and Commander Chakotay.

This ep was a perfect example of how DS9 managed to maintain the conflict between the two different belief systems as the characters struggled to work together despite their differences.  And they were ALLOWED their differences!  And shown ultimately to both be right.

And yet VOY had the Maquis acting as Starfleet officers so soon that you forgot they were supposed to ever have had opposing viewpoints in the first place.

It's so frustrating as VOY could have been SO much more interesting if they'd been allowed to maintain conflict rather than fall into TNG 2.0 "nobody argues around here" lack of drama.  Grr.

Don't mean to turn this into a DS9 vs. VOY argument (as there were things about VOY I really did like and think the show just never really found itself until too late - kind of like Enterprise... huh) but it was just the ONLY thing I could see as I watched Sisko and Kira struggle with the balance of Bajoran faith and Starfleet science - that it was what DS9 excelled in: conflict and what VOY completely lacked. :(

The Maquis were criminal, terrorists that's not really a belief system and they really had no power outside of the DMZ and not much power there either. Janeway had no time to put up with people questioning her every decison and were Sisko in the position he wouldn't either. And in the end Starfleet and Maquis worked together to get home, that started pretty early on for that matter. But if you notice Chakotay really didn't have much in the way of a real Maquis crew, Tuvok and Seska were spys, Sudor was a killer and I had to wonder just how big Chakotay's little ship was he seemed to have quite a parge crew for such a small ship,
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users