• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Grand Nagus Zek has become a philanthropist, and Quark worries that he may have gone insane.

#2 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Well this was ceratinly a strange one, it was written by Robert and Ira and directed by Rene and i guess it's another stab at Ferengi humor, it's almost a shame the changes made by the Nagus didn't stand but maybe Rom will make those changes upon becoming the Nagus. I really didn't start to like Bashir til Distant Voices but this was a move in the right direction, but it's a shame knowing about his genetic alterations puts his story in a different light and that sadly includes the dart game, I liked it when he was human and fallable.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Genetic alterations? My my, sounds like there's a story there.

However I do wonder what exactly it cost the Bajorans to have their Orb back.
Rejected and gone.

#4 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostMikoto, on 18 April 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

Genetic alterations? My my, sounds like there's a story there.

However I do wonder what exactly it cost the Bajorans to have their Orb back.

There is. But lets wait until the episode to discuss. Suffice to say that there has always been some controversy around it. I am the type of Niner that kind of thinks it fits aside from a few minor continuity rumbles seen here. :)

"Beyond Greed?? There is nothing beyond greed! Greed is the most honorable and noble sentiment in the universe!" - Quark

Pure slapstick culminating with Quark ranting at the Propets. But I still kind of like it for what it is. Rom skimming off the top of a charity organization shows why the writers loved the Ferengi comedies perhaps to much. You can also see how the whole Ferengi comedy's need to constantly top the last one with the sheer amount of absurdity of it all leads right to Quark turning into a woman. *sigh*

But still....this one still brought out a smile so lets call it a 3/5 episode.

enTranced
Posted Image

#5 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

This episode was great! ... if you only watched the Bashir B-plot, which takes up just a few minutes of screen time. The rest is Ferengi boredom, with very little laughs and very little point. I'll admit to being fond of two moments. First, when they kidnap Zek (a few good one-liners there) and the final scene where Rom admits that he embezzled. The rest is just tiresome and predictable.. Even the orb vision (usually the highlight of episodes with them) was stilted although at least the big Quark/Prophet showdown was respectably shot (much like in "Emissary") and had some good moments. I was already annoyed with the episode so I couldn't help but wish that they HAD de-evolved Quark.

I got the biggest laughs from the Bashir story, honestly. The dart board game was priceless, as was Odo's smile after correctly guessing Bashir was writing his acceptance speech. The subtle humor always worked best with this show, a large part of why virtually all Ferengi episodes landed flat on their face.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#6 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Probably the only useful thing to come out of this episode was the dartboard. :p
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users