• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

After an alien assault leaves Bashir unconscious, he is trapped inside his mind.

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

Major props to the people who made the promo for this snoozefest. It's exciting and visceral. Of course, in thirty seconds, I suppose anything could be made entertaining if you edit it to death and add gradually building music.

There are worse episodes of DS9. There are even more boring episodes of DS9. But most of those episodes had little promise to begin with. This is one of those episodes that had a potentially interesting concept (and a chance to expand upon Bashir's character) and did practically nothing with it. There simply isn't enough meat to this script to fill 45 minutes. It rambles on for a while, not doing much of anything (despite some decent performances from the actors) and then ends with a disappointing anticlimax, where we learn stuff about Bashir that we already knew. This doesn't really qualify as character development. If it weren't for the scenes that begin and end the episode, I'd even qualify this as Garak's most pointless appearance ever.

(Okay, I kinda liked Ops all decorated up, Happy Birthday style.)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Oh yeah there's not much to say about this one. I figured out what was happening very, very quickly and snoozed through it.
Rejected and gone.

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

As I've said I started liking Bashir as a character this one and other than being something of a prick for turning 30, this one really advanced his character. This was a nice budget crunching ep. but sadly it also meant that the other characters move further back into the backround, But this ep. really gave Bashir and Siddig a chance to shine.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

"After all this time, after all of our lunches, you still don't trust me. There may be hope for you yet Doctor!" - my man, Garek!

That is a fantastic line from Garek and I want to make that point because the rest of the episode with elderly Bashir hobbling around his ruined mind mumbling about stuff we as viewers put together 40 minutes ago....is.....really.....just....kind....offfffffzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 Stars for the great nap I just had.....

enTranced
Posted Image

#6 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

This is another of those odd little episodes that nobody loves except me.  It's one of my top personal faves of the series.  In part because it's a great Bashir/Garak ep.  In part because it's got a lovely Twilight Zone meets TNG vibe.  And mostly because although I really didn't *get* the ep the first time I watched it, when I rewatched it for my 30th birthday it suddenly hit me harder.  And I've rewatched it on other significant birthdays as well.  It just... connects. :)

Also credit to some excellent old age makeup (although the early to middle-age stuff... not so much LOL) and a TERRIFIC performance by Sid, especially in the older-Bashir scenes by still being a character rather than a caricature. :wub:
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users