• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Kira's old Resistance leader refuses a government order to return some farming equipment.

#2 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

"I used to like sleeping on the ground"  - Kira

Not one of my favorite Bajor episodes, this one just seemed a waste of evil Winn as she for really no reason wants to use Federation farm equipment to export crops to the Federation. But for some reason she can't do this where they are and for some reason the Federation which can make anything appear in a replicator can't give her more then six. And so she almost starts a civil war. And hey, Kira's old war buddies are involved.

But at least we finally feel bad that Bariel died like 3 bajillion times.

So not the worst but not the best....

3/5

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 18 May 2013 - 08:46 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Yeah I wondered about that too. Why not make as many as Bajor needed so everyone who needed one could have one? If you want Bajor to join  you, it might help if you didn't subject them to power squabbles and more poverty by providing limited farm equipment.
Rejected and gone.

#4 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

As someone who wasn't fond of Bareil the first 12 or so times through the series LOL I was always happy to see the introduction of Shakaar.  In part because I liked the character and in larger part because Duncan Regehr is just so darned charming and handsome. :)

Now, having grown to appreciate Kira/Bareil a bit more... I'm still happy to see Shakaar. :D  Although the last moment of Kira saying goodbye to Bareil by blowing out the candle had a bit more poignance to me this time around.

Aside from the Shakaar charm factor, it's good to give Kai Winn a bit of an opponent for a while too.

Louise Fletcher is as always brilliantly nasty in this episode and her scenes give the most energy to an otherwise rather subdued episode.

As to why the Federation doesn't help - non-interference policy.  Bajor is not a Federation planet.  They have to raise themselves up by their own bootstraps, work out their own solutions and not have the Federation do it for them in order to show they're worthy of admittance.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

^ But that can't be the case because the Federation already gave them 6 they are just being jerks not giving them more! Of curse Winn is a jerk by constantly moving them around! And Kira is sorta being a jerk by helping with the baby near civil war!  :D
Posted Image

#6 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm with EnT on this one. They've already given 6, why not more? People's lives clearly depend on it.
Rejected and gone.

#7 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

The parts of the this one doesn't make up a good whole, Winn is the now the normal baddie since Dukat has turned into something of a nice guy so the ending was a foregone conclusion. the whole sub plot about O'Brien being "in the zone" was a bit of a waste and of course yet again the revelation of Bashir's genetic engineering loses some of the impact of the final scene. The sad thing about this one is that the characters just seem to be going though the motions, the story isn't very organic and filming is alittle stale in paces, but then I suppose being the end of the season that was to have been expected.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#8 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

Louise Fletcher was a lot of fun in this one, especially her first scene with Kira. Lots of boo hiss moments there. Other than that, this episode was okay but nothing terribly special. It reminded me of "Progress", except without the chemistry between Kira and Mullibok. And this time around, Sisko didn't seem to care that his first officer was taking a week or so often to romp around Bajor. Part of me wishes they had gone further and actually made Winn the First Minister. Problem is, as written here, she comes across as completely incompetent and naive. And evil, but that goes without saying. Watching her get what was coming to her in the end was somewhat satisfying but it doesn't make the episode any more gripping.

(It doesn't help that every time I see Duncan Regehr, I'm reminded of how he had ghost sex with Beverly Crusher.)

There's a light B-story lurking in here somewhere but it only gets a few minutes and is completely inconsequential, mostly just there to give some of the other actors some screen time.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#9 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Wait what, "ghost sex?" :freakingout:
Rejected and gone.

#10 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostMikoto, on 26 May 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Yeah. "Sub Rosa",  Season 7. Check it out if you want to torture yourself for an hour.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#11 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostJosh, on 26 May 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

View PostMikoto, on 26 May 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Yeah. "Sub Rosa",  Season 7. Check it out if you want to torture yourself for an hour.

Good lord I had forgotten about the Ghost Sex episode! Now I remember it all again!! ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

enTranced
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users