• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

When a Klingon fleet under General Martok arrives at the station ostensibly to protect the Alpha Quadrant from the Dominion, Sisko recruits Lieutenant Commander Worf to discover the Klingons' true intentions. (Season Premiere)

#2 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Is there a story behind the changes in the title music? I'm curious about why they changed it.
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

That's a good question.  I was always curious about that, myself.

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I seem to recall talk of a focus group over hiatus.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#5 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Oooh, that's interesting. Could other changes, like more ships in the title sequence, and Worf being added be the result of that too?
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#6 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

The title music was changed because the main titles themselves were changed. The busier, more active sequence required music that followed suit. As for all the changes themselves, the studio requested a big shake-up for the opening of the season.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#7 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Having just seen the S4 opening, yes I'd call it quite a shake-up.
Rejected and gone.

#8 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

This always brings back memories, because it was the first internet spoiler I was ever aware of. Ahh, Compuserve...

#9 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Quark: I want you to try something for me. Take a sip of this.
Garak: What is it?
Quark: A human drink. It's called root beer.
Garak: [unwilling] Uh, I don't know...
Quark: Come on, aren't you just a little bit curious?
[Garak sighs, takes a sip and gags]
Quark: What do you think?
Garak: It's *vile*!
Quark: I know. It's so bubbly, and cloying, and *happy*.
Garak: Just like the Federation.
Quark: But you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you begin to *like* it.
Garak: It's insidious!
Quark: *Just* like the Federation.

So here we are at the big change!

When this first aired I was in heaven, I mean how can you not love the sales pitch this episode gives you? Worf! Gowron! Changeling Martok! Battles! Bald Sisko! Sword Fights! Pop Up Turrets! YEAAAHHHH!

And now? I STILL like it. Oh, as a purest I still kind if resent having Worf thrown in my face, the cast doesn't need him and it means that we now enter the Jadzia : Klingon Groupie phase of her character, but at the same time I LIKE Sisko and Worf, I like the way Sisko TALKS to him instead of being lectured at by Picard. To be fair, Picard lectures everyone. ;)

Watching my DVD's in order like this made me aware for the first time how everything, inside the station and Defiant as well as space itself got a LOT more colorful in season four. The space battles are a lot more dynamic as well as we see through and through torpedo hits for the first time on the series and much more fires in space (yeah whatever, it's cool, deal with it! :D ). But our favorite sets look better, more neon, more animated engineering on the Defiant.

Our cast is looking pretty cool as well, Sisko bald and badass, Kira's new hair, Quark's make up gets a upgrade, Odo's shifting continues to evolve, the show looks better then ever.

My only gripe continues to this day to be the new music. Sure the opening looks great now, yes he Defiant should be in the opening as it's now just as important as the station and yes the station should be shown as being busy.....but....BUT I LOVED THE OLD MUSIC DAMMIT! :D

Bottom Line?

I loved this two parter more then I loved JJ and his 3D lens flare extravaganza so 5/5.

enTranced
Posted Image

#10 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with this episode.

It was actually the episode(s) that made me stop watching the show.  Until I started to work on it later in the season! :blush:

When I first watched this episode, I knew from the promotion that Worf would be joining the show.  I didn't think the show needed him - it felt like looking backwards again to TNG instead of forwards.  The show had its own focus, its own momentum.  It didn't need Worf as far as I was concerned.

But it was watching the episode that made me truly grieve for the loss of the DS9 I had known and loved from its first moments.  This show was violent, war-focused, action-oriented, and very very dark.  It told me (as it was meant to) that the show was going in a new direction.  And at the time, I simply couldn't face it.  I loved the smaller show about these characters and Bajoran/Cardassian politics and societies.  I didn't want to see a show that was pushed into becoming part of the larger TNG-era universe.  This wasn't the show I wanted to see.

But as a wise Rev once said - the universe does not always give you what you want - it gives you what you need. :wub:

And DS9, in its fourth season - which would become not only my favorite of the series, but tied only with season 2 of TNG as my favorite overall seasons of all of Star Trek - followed its destiny and grew from a very, very good show into a truly brilliant one.  And while I grieve the show I lost, I now welcome with open arms the show that would be...

This season opener brought a new look for Sisko, which also heralded the man Captain Benjamin Sisko would become.  Odo got a better hairpiece and Kira got a more feminine/less butch look which was very attractive.

Seeing Martok, even this Martok, was good.  Though I realized I kept having flashes of Wormtongue with his storyline.

This Ira/Robert episode naturally gave some great moments to Quark - used here at his best: as an observer of humanity.  Aside from his scenes, the best moments were unsurprisingly Garak's - from his "cutting remarks" to his quarreling with Dukat to his metacommunication with Sisko.  Such wonderful moments.

And watching the show again with fresh eyes, I found I was actually pleased to see Worf and was impressed with his choices - especially the moment he faces down Gowron who holds everything Worf could want out to him and Worf chooses honor.  I loved him in that moment.  And I even liked the beginning chemistry between him and Jadzia.  Her character is finally defined by this season and yes, I might even warm to their relationship this time around.  We shall see...

Amazing action scenes and some gorgeous direction makes this two-parter seem the closest thing to a DS9 movie we ever got.  They blew the budget out on this one and you can see every bit of it onscreen.

This was the season that the Promenade got a makeover too - wasn't it?  More money being spent on the show = a good thing.

Oh, and totally agree on loving Sisko TALKING TO Worf instead of lecturing like Grampa Picard. :D  This is a man who has been in a similar situation, respectfully relating and offering advice without judgement or expectation.  Awesome.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#11 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Truthfully outside of the root beer scene and the scene on the catwalk between Odo and Worf there's little else to the ep., the movie length allowed them to turn it into a sellable videotape. Although the battle was good for a few rewatchings, it loses some of i's impact over the years. I also have over the years found it odd that the Defiant wasn't targetted by the Klingon fleet duringthe attack on the station since it was just sitting there at it's dock. But I was very disappointed that this meant putting the Dominion storyline on the backburner and knowing that Martok was a changling I have to wonder how he passed the blood test.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users