• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

Kira and Dukat search for the six-year-old crash site of a Cardassian freighter that was carrying Bajoran prisoners.

#2 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

An absolutely delicious A-story is undermined by an embarrassing B-story.

For the Kira/Dukat shippers, this ep may have been the pinnacle - sexual and romantic tension stoked, an emotional bond forged.  Haters gonna hate, but I think Kira is more relaxed and comfortable here with Dukat than with any of her other love interests who all tended to make her tense and anxious and awkward and self-conscious.  The stupid but (butt?) humorous moment she shared here with Dukat was the loosest I can remember her being, just in the moment, laughing.  Sorry for those it upsets (including the writers), but I like Kira better with Dukat than Bareil, Shakaar, and Odo put together.  She is confident and strong with him, but compassionate when she sees his vulnerabilities.  He challenges her, he matches her, he respects her, and he was worthy of fighting even his own nature and pride for the love of her.  Yes, Dukat was a monster.  But he was a monster at this point on his way to redemption.  No different than any vampire/human love story that people ship regularly.  Angel was a monster.  Spike was a monster.  Stefan, Damon, Eric, Bill and on and on and on...  Dukat is no different than any of those creatures with just as large body counts behind them and he deserved the redemption that he was denied by the writers.  Or as I've said, at least a worthy death while on the path of that redemption.  It wasn't that Kira and Dukat should have necessarily ended up together - but they should have been given the chance to at least learn from the attempt.  And the potential here just drives me up a wall to see what could have and should have been done with Dukat and yes, Kira that the characters were denied.  Grr.

And don't get me started on the stupid Sisko/Kasidy storyline here because seriously, I adored Penny, but Kasidy was a bore and there was no chemistry there whatsoever beyond friendship.  Sisko and Dax had more chemistry and affection between them.  And I wouldn't ship them either.
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#3 writergroupie

writergroupie

Mad for Moffat...

• Demigod
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

So did everyone give up on the rewatch? :(

I paused waiting for folks to catch up but no one has been posting. :(
I write, therefore I am.

But... but... if it's not magic and sparkly how can I use it to reshape the universe?  Without the magic sparklies, it's like... just a metaphor.
-- Me (on bonsai)

#4 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

You know, KRAD is doing one, too....just a bit behind this one.

http://www.tor.com/f...ce-nine-rewatch
Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I was very annoyed with what happened in the other thread but I can't stop watching Deep Space Nine and I have never been able to stop talking about it! So....ONWARD! :D

"I love Zyal, and when I bury her I will weep over her grave just as I did over her mother's" - Dukat.

So...I guess I should first point out that I have never been a Kira and Dukat romance fan. I knew at the time it was a thing but it was a weird thing that I never understood. :p Yes, Dukat could flirt with her and I didn't mind that because Kira is smoking hot, I got that much. But do I think she returned ANY affection to him? No. This guy is directly responsible for the deaths of thousands? Millions? of her people and nearly ruining her very planet. The storyline with the soil reclomaters was annoying but it did show the damage that was done to Bajor itself. So the idea that there could be any kind of relationship between these two would damage Kira's character for me. And as a aside, the annoying Spike/Buffy relationship DID damage Buffy's character. Yuck....

Anyway as for the episode in question : it continues to be VERY strong and it seeds future story-lines very well. It also showed off DS9's bigger budget,  the ruined ship looked fantatsic the hike through the desert looked real and yes we still got a Star Trek cave but at least it served a purpose and while I am not a shipper the cave spike allowed Dukat to show how he can go from amiable guy to ruthless at warp speed!

4/5 stars here!

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 25 June 2013 - 07:36 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I watched DS9 and finished the DVDs weeks ago. But nobody's been posting.

I was never fond of Kira/Dukat 'shipping.' For the reasons EnTranced described about the damage to the people and planet. But it has a creepy vibe to it if you know what he did with Kira's mother...
Rejected and gone.

#7 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

View Postwritergroupie, on 24 June 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

So did everyone give up on the rewatch? :(

I paused waiting for folks to catch up but no one has been posting. :(

My life's been a bit of a trainwreck lately so I'll admit that I paused but I'm going to try and catch up, especially now that enTranced is on a roll. ;)
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DS9-RW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users