• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...7--finance.html

It sounds like it got really nasty before all was said and done.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#2 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,028 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sounds like the GOP is starting to see serious cracks between the adults (such as they are) and the Tea Party.

#3 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I thought they just kicked the can down the road by 2 months.....
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

^^^That was my understanding but I think it was a slightly different issue to be dealt with then.

Raising the debt ceiling?  Making cuts to reduce the deficit?  

Can't remember now and no time to look as eye dr appts today and I always take the first slot if possible.  

All I do know is that I'm hating that phrase "fiscal cliff" and I could do without hearing it ever again....or hearing about the lack of action until the last second by Congress et al on issues that should have been decided and acted on months ago (at least)and were not some sudden surprise to be fixed

Edited by Tricia, 03 January 2013 - 08:47 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

The agreement, which the Senate approved only hours after the government hit the limit on federal borrowing, fails to defuse the prospect of a catastrophic national default two months from now. The deal does not raise the debt ceiling, leaving the Treasury to use what it calls “extraordinary measures” as long as it can to pay the government’s bills.
http://www.washingto...346f_story.html

So more work to be done but if they wait until the last minute AGAIN.....:angry:

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#6 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

As long as everybody's doing the "I don't care whether the bill needs to be passed, I'll vote no just to spite you" bunch, I don't think they're going to get a lot of work done. And the Republicans are fractured now, and need some calm heads to reach a meeting of the mind with the Dems - and the Dems are going to have to make concessions as well.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy, banking, banks, 2013, US Government

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users