6 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

Spoilers

Finch protests a high school genius who reminds him of himself and Carter takes on a dangerous assignment for the FBI.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

This one was surprisingly Caviezel-light. I was expecting we'd be following Reese in lockup about equally with Finch helping the number of the week, but we only saw Reese in a couple of bookend scenes.

But it was a pretty good one. It was contrived that when Finch had to do the job himself, it happened to be for a POI who was so much like himself. But such contrivances are pretty common in episodic TV today, and it was well-handled. Finch's speech in the classroom about pi was a beautiful piece of writing, and nicely in character.

I'm not liking Agent Donnelly here. Before, he seemed like a basically decent guy who thought he was hunting a criminal. Now he's suddenly turned into a Patriot-Act poster boy, blithely taking away the rights of American citizens in relentless, Javert-like pursuit of his personal Valjean. I guess it's not surprising that the show would continue its exploration of the erosion of individual privacy and rights in the name of national security, but it's a bit heavy-handed here. We'll have to see what they do with it next week.

One bit that jarred me was the scene transition where Finch told Fusco that he trusted Carter to take care of the situation with Reese, and then we cut to the scene of Carter breaking in to switch the DNA evidence. That would've been a perfectly fine transition by itself, but instead they tacked on a couple of voiceover lines between Finch and Carter restating in very stilted terms what her objective was in that scene. Evidently someone -- probably a network suit -- didn't have enough faith in the audience's attention span and felt we needed to be reminded of the obvious, and it was quite awkward.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Another Harold bird alias: Swift. He is of course unwise to keep such a pattern going and also always using Harold as his first name, but it's fun to see which avian species will be up next.  And they go for less obvious surnames than Jay or Robin. Hey, if Reese never has the sense to vary his wardrobe, why not let Harold keep playing the bird name game?

Did a hacker really breach Arpanet or was that piece of history fabricated for the show?
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostCardie, on 04 January 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Did a hacker really breach Arpanet or was that piece of history fabricated for the show?

Since the hacker was clearly meant to be Finch himself (that's how he knew it was done with a homemade computer), I assume it's fictional. There was a hacker named Morris (sounds like the start of a limerick) who released an accidentally harmful worm onto ARPANET in 1988, but that doesn't sound like the same thing, and he was identified.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I didn't think the guy being Finch on POI would necessarily mean he didn't exist. They could establish that some fictional character on a show was D.B. Cooper and since Cooper has never been identified, I'd accept it as fictional license.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostCardie, on 04 January 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

They could establish that some fictional character on a show was D.B. Cooper and since Cooper has never been identified, I'd accept it as fictional license.

In fact, Leverage did exactly that this past August. As did my colleague Greg Cox's tie-in novel The 4400: The Vesuvius Prophecy several years earlier. And quite a few other stories.

But Cooper is famous, even legendary. This was more obscure, and it felt to me like something made up to serve the plot, even before I did some research and didn't find any evidence of a famous unidentified ARPANET hacker.

Facebook Author Page

#7 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Well I was alittle surprised that the boy turned out to be a drug pusher, but the he was lookin gout for his brother still not a good reason ot turn to crime. As for Reese, I didn't think it'd be that easy to free him and Carter's sabotage will be noticed at some point although it can't be proven it was her who did it.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Person of Interest, Person of Interest: Season 2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users