• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

PNC, other banks report cyber attacks, close down online banking; Is anti-Islam YouTube video behind it?

PNC Bank has been emailing customers today warning them of what appears to be a cyber attack on its online banking system.

Here is the email:

Attached File  A_umGlVCQAAOuKt.jpg   73.52K   0 downloads

The main quote from the email:

A number of banks in the U.S., including PNC, are seeing an unusually high volume of traffic at their Internet connections. This volume of traffic is consistent with threatened cyber attacks on the U.S. banking system and is designed to cause access delays for legitimate internet customers. For several weeks, PNC has taken steps to block this traffic and maintain online and mobile banking access for the vast majority of its customers. In some cases, those measures also may have blocked access to a small percentage of legitimate PNC customers for an extended period. We sincerely apologize to those affected.

Now that's a reassuring message to find in your inbox.  :fear:  And the bank says if the website doesn't work, try a branch instead.  :ermm:

Some articles:

Cyber Attack On PNC’s Online Banking Slows Customer Access

Web sites of several major banks hit by another round of cyber attacks

During the last few weeks, the web sites of several of the largest banks have been hit sporadically by so-called "distributed denial-of-service attacks." The attacks flood the web sites with so much traffic that it makes it difficult for customers to log into their online accounts or get information.

Among the banks reportedly affected in recent weeks: PNC, Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo and SunTrust Bank.

Regulators say that those launching attacks may be trying to distract a bank's technology department so they can try to hack into accounts, prevent customers from reporting problems or prevent banks from sending out warnings to customers.

And finally, the notice on PNC's site.  No less spooky:

Information on Potential Cyber Attack

PNC and other U.S. banks may continue to be the target of a potential cyber attack. This potential threat could result in a high volume of electronic traffic that may make it difficult for some of our customers to sign onto online banking. We have no information regarding timing, duration or intensity of this potential threat. Please be assured that PNC's website is protected by sophisticated encryption strategies that shield customer information and accounts.

:headshake:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 04 January 2013 - 12:12 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

One more article:

Tension swells over PNC website

Customers of PNC Bank were sounding increasingly frustrated Wednesday as problems continued to arise in accessing their accounts online, preventing them from checking balances, paying bills or performing other transactions using the Pittsburgh bank's website.

The bank's latest interruption in service came a little more than a week after federal regulators issued an alert to the nation's banking community urging top executives to be prepared for denial-of-service attacks and to evaluate their processes for dealing with cybercrimes.

For its part, PNC posted an apology and urged customers to keep trying to log in or to send the bank a private message on Facebook with a contact number. "Our team will be in touch to assist," the bank said.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I got one of those emails too, fortunatetly I have a Branch 2 minutes from my house
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I wonder who does these attacks?  It's constantly said in several articles over the years that they're Chinese hackers.  But why would they hack our banks?  Their govt. owns 2/3's of the money stored in them.  That only serves to hurt themselves at the same time.
Eastern Europeans?  Terrorists groups (including domestic ones)?
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Or they have their own people hack into their own system to give the illusion of hacking.  It justifies their paychecks and other things they will want to increase as fees, such as internet firewalls and such.

Precisely what Norton and other antivirus companies do, or at least that's what I am pretty sure they do to some degree... create the problem and already have a solution to line their pockets more fully.

#6 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

^To some rare degree, I can see that.  Of course, I also know there are enough people out there with nothing to live for and/or nothing better to do and are too smart for themselves.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cyber terrorism, Cyber attacks, banks, 2013, denial-of-service, DoS, banking

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users