• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Movie games suck!  Isn't that true 90% of the time?  Yes.  More often than not licensed games are made just to cash in on the name, but once in a while a note worthy title or two does make their way to the self.  Golden Eye comes to mind, Epic Mickey... and now so does Back to the Future for the Wii.  Once in a while you get a company that truly cares about the games they make, licensed or otherwise.  And here Telltale Games cares about Back to the Future.  

Gameplay...  

Back to the Future strips down the complicated control schemes in favor of a simple point and click adventure.  And what a breath of fresh air.  It's been too long since a good point and click adventure has come along.  Truly, the last one I played myself goes all the way back to the Discworld series on the PSOne.  But much like riding a bike, it didn't take long for me to get back into the groove.  Within 5 to 10 minutes I was back in top form and playing through this game with relative ease.  

Telltale Games didn't make anything overly complicated here.  The analogue stick moves Marty around and the Wii Remote is used for simple point and click tasks.  All in all, the Wii version works very well because of the Wii Remote's ease to use.  You walk around, point at things and click.  Not every item is clickable, but there are a surprising number of things that are.  When you want to talk to someone, you point at them and click, which brings up a dialogue between you and whoever it is you're talking to, then point and click at the dialogue you want to use.  Like any point and click adventure game, you're given more than one choice of things to say.  This gives the game a bit of replay value since there are times where there are choices you won't be able to pick since you decided to pick a different one.  

As for the puzzles, none of them really feel overly challenging, though there are a few times where you'll get stumped.  

Presentation...  

This is where the game is a little hit and miss at times.  First the bad...  

While the game does look really good, even though it chooses to go for a more cartoony style, it does have some glitches and frame rate issues.  There are times where the animation skips a frame or two, and sometimes it freezes and then starts back up in awkward places.  But even with these issues, more often than not the animation is fine and works well.  

But where the game really shines is with the voice acting.  This game has nothing short of a stellar voice acting cast.  And the entire game is voice acted.  Christopher Lloyd comes back to reprise his roll as Doc Brown and does it with gusto.  But the real standout here is AJ LoCascio as Marty McFly.  Michael J. Fox, due to other obligations, wasn't able to reprise his roll as Marty, but AJ, in all accounts, is a dead ringer for Fox's voice.  There are times where it's hard to tell that it's not Fox playing the part.  And for that, it shows how much care Telltale Games put into this game, glitches or not.  

And the music.  While there were a few original tracks, the best part of it all is that this game uses the official licensed soundtrack from the films, and that ramps up the nostalgic factor.  

Story...  

Point and Click Adventures remind me of choose your own adventure books; while you get to push the story along, the main thing is the story itself.  Here is no different.  It's the story that matters.  And what a story it has.  I can't possibly cover everything that happens in this story, but I can say that just when you think everything is put back into place and all is fine, Telltale Games finds another way to dig you further into trouble.  Like the movies, it goes back and forth between several time periods, and you will revisit these time periods in order to fix mistakes that were made while you were trying to fix other mistakes earlier in the game.  And the story is engaging.  I have always cared about these characters, but here I was more attached to them than ever.  And it was smart for Telltale Games to bring Bob Gale in as a consultant.  Who better to bring in other than one of the original writers of the film trilogy?  The story is great and the dialogue is topnotch.  The game has a ton of witty moments and callback references to the films.  

Overall...  

The quality of the game probably earns this game an 8.0/10, but because of how charming the characters are, how good the story is, and how great the voice acting presents itself, I am more inclined to give this an 8.5/10.  So, overall...

8.5/10  

Worth playing, especially if your a fan of the films.

Edited by NexusNine, 04 January 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

That does sound like a good game. Thanks for the review. I can't even remember the last time I played a point and click game. I think it was an old PC game where you play a man who gets sent back in time to the Titanic before it sinks and have to solve some mystery. I might have to see if I can find it.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Check it out:  

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Back, Future, Marty, McFly, Doc, Brown, Delorean

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users