• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Where do you go for an analysis of the physics of "James' Giant Peach Transport across the Atlantic"?

Or any of the other topics below and more? The Journal of Physics Special Topics [links to articles]

[Oct 30, 2017: updated with new URL]

a1.gif a2.gif

Edited by Orpheus, 30 October 2017 - 09:57 PM.
new URL

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

A lot of those sound interesting.  Weirdly, Firefox is telling me that the link is an "untrusted connection."  :unsure:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

That *is* odd, considering it's a UK academic site. I wouldn't have posted it, if I'd gotten a warning. I didn't.

Not from the J/PST, but along the same line:
Radagast’s Racing Rhosgobel Rabbits: A Recreational Musher Looks at the Realities of Bunny Sledding

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hey, there's even an Andromeda-based one!

In the sci- tv series 'Andromeda' a ship travels 300 years into the future after 3 seconds from the ships perspective. This paper uses the conditions stated in the show to determine that the ship will experience such time dilation when it lies at 9.3599*10^-6m from the event horizon and that this would not be possible to achieve without losing the ship permanently to the black hole.

"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

^^ A lot they know!

View PostOrpheus, on 09 January 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

That *is* odd, considering it's a UK academic site. I wouldn't have posted it, if I'd gotten a warning. I didn't.  
Strange. When I check it on my iPhone, it's okay.  But Firefox still gives me the warning.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

I'm curious about this, since I have pretty tight system security and primarily use Firefox (just upgraded from 17.x to 18 yesterday, I think)

What OS/plugins do you use?

#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

An investigation is conducted to determine what frequency one would need to wiggle a washing line at, in order for the wave to provide enough energy to dry a sheet.

Orph...are UK tax payers paying for this research? :unsure: While I appreciate the funny side, I can't help the niggling feeling that these guys are having a laugh at our expense... or someone's expense....

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#8 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

This publication is primarily student projects for one or more physics classes by a single professor. The UK taxpayer isn't directly paying for it, but the UK *public* may ... down the road.

He meant them to learn (among other things) the process of composing/publishing a paper

#9 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

^ OK, that's fair enough. Just checking!

And you never know. If one of those papers lead to replicators or teleporters being invented...
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

It was an excellent question -- especially in today's world where authors (and by extension, funding Agencies) are expected to pay more and more for the 'privilege' of journal publication [by the major private publication houses, which charge ever more for the resultant "paid for" publications, and reap record profits each year]

After 500 years, printing presses have become a remarkably mature and inexpensive art.

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 11 January 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

What OS/plugins do you use?  
I use Windows XP Home Edition, Build 2600.xpsp_sp3._gdr.120821-1629: Service Pack 3. TMI? :lol:

Firefox is listing a lot of Plug Ins, which I won't bore you with unless you want me to.  Perhaps the relevant one is AVG SiteSafety plug-in 12.0.0.0?

#12 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, that DEFINITELY sounds like the problem. I've used AVG, but I NEVER use the internet security add-on of any AV. They're primarily marketed to encourage people to switch to the paid version.

I haven't seen a worthwhile "internet security" package in ten years, probably because worthwhile modern internet security would require more knowledge than the people who need an add-on possess.

If you follow general prudent measures, like actively thinking about what you click on and running NoScript, you should be fine. Even NoScript can be a hassle unless you truly understand the various risks it protects against.

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I tried NoScript once and it seemed to stop everything from working, both good and bad.  I like AVG, but if that plug-in does no good, I'll just disable it.

#14 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I wouldn't say it does NO good, just that it has a lot of false positives, so it's not worth it if your surfing isn't all trivial.

You're savvy enough not t need it.

I'm thinking of retitling this thread to be a one-stop shop for SF-based "scientific literature". What do y'all think?

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

You mean like "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline?"  I'm all for it.  :lol:

#16 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I guess I'm thinking of anything entertaining (preferably humorous) cast in the form of scientific literature.

It's a lot more common now than it was. Ca 1981, I had two papers from science on my refrigerator, one on the use of condoms in geological separations (they I was a teenager) and one on the thermodynamics and pathophysiology of the Melted Mozzarella Layer in Burned Palate Syndrome. They weren't the only ones, but they were the first, and There was a long sentimental debate when I decided to take them down ca 1985. Today, there would be new ones coming along every week

I mean seriously, even if they're not SF, how can you NOT share an article like "Fellatio in Fruit Bats Prolongs Copulation Time" or "Comparing Apples and Oranges: Normalizing Competitive Eating Records across Food Disciplines" or the physics paper Nobel Prize winner Andrew Geim co-authored with his pet hamster?

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,769 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

In case anybody didn't recognize it, "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline" was a spoof article that Asimov wrote in 1947 to practice for his final dissertation. It was published in Astounding and when Asimov was taking his dissertation, he was surprised when some of the faculty referenced it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: humor, scientific literature, fan analysis

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users