Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Librophiliac Love Letter

libraries

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Since I know there are bound to be other amongst us who love books and reading...

Found this  and thought of y'all....and hoping I'm not the only person who is made happy by these pics....or who really wishes that I could pull a book off these shelves and settle in to read.

Everyone has some kind of place that makes them feel transported to a magical realm. For some people it's castles with their noble history and crumbling towers. For others it's abandoned factories, ivy choked, a sense of foreboding around every corner. For us at Atlas Obscura, there has always been something about libraries. Row after row, shelf after shelf, there is nothing more magical than a beautiful old library.
http://www.atlasobsc...-part-1-the-usa

George_lucas_library.jpg
I'll start you with George Lucas' library at Skywalker Ranch

But lots of beautiful pics in the link of  public libraries that are gorgeous.

BTW per the linked article this is the US version and they had previously done a European version so I'm eager to see that too.

Edited by Tricia, 22 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

That's a beautiful picture.  I am definitely a book and library person.  Here is a picture of the library I used to frequent (and I mean frequent :D) when I was a kid:

Posted Image

My perfect house would be an exactly duplicate of this.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

woah RJ that is a gorgeous library building....ours is so ugly in comparison!!

3522539341_4148fdef6f_z.jpg

I love libraries....I can spend hours looking round finding books. I used to visit ours a lot more when I worked in the town centre...I kinda feel bad that I don't visit so much now. I think my kindle has something to do with that....not to mention that because of it I can now read fanfic on the move instead of just at my computer! Still, something about a room of books just makes me feel so happy and serene. :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

My favorite library is a beautiful new library, the Rancho Mirage Public Library, opened less than ten years ago.  Looks like I'll have to take my camera there.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

The only thing about a room full of books that is not serene making is my curiosity about what is on the shelves!!

I could spend hours, DAYS!, roaming and browsing through the shelves and be content.

In most of the pics at the link when they show the seating areas, it's just plain wooden chairs that don't look comfortable (though with a good book I forget that).  Makes me wonder if there are areas like in my local public library with comfy soft chairs somewhere.

Which is a trend I've noticed more and more.  Comfortable seating to encourage folks to seat a while.  Recharging stations for those with laptops in search of wi-fi.

Walker Library of the History of Human Imagination
Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA
2-30-Jay_walker_f.jpg

Here's another idea for a personal library. Which I think is cool because I can just lay down and read :D

Library.jpg

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#6 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostNonny, on 23 January 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

My favorite library is a beautiful new library, the Rancho Mirage Public Library, opened less than ten years ago. Looks like I'll have to take my camera there. :)

Not sure how they take suggestions for this linked article but a couple of pics do say "terrific reader suggestion" so maybe if you take pics or recommend it to them, they'll include it. :)

#7 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Good idea!  I'm surprised that I can't find any good photos of it online.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Mark: My idea of a library...Maui Royal Lahaina Resort overlook golfcourse01.jpg

That was one of the views near my room at the Royal Lahaina Resort, when I went to Maui in late Nov., and early Dec.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#9 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Mark: Or how about this view near my room? Would you like to read a book underneath what I called, The Tree of Life, in the middle of that picture? The photo doesn't do the size of that tree justice...it was just so darned humungous.

Maui Royal Lahaina Resort01.jpg

Edited by Mark, 23 January 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#10 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

While it's beautiful and would be a nice place to read a book....not exactly a library.  Unless there are books hidden there somewhere?

Also not a library here but a bookstore--
bookstore.jpg

"Scriveners in Buxton, Derbyshire It packs 30,000 volumes over five floors and to encourage browsing, tea and coffee-making facilities plus cake and a donations box sit next to easy chairs. 42 High St, Buxton, Derbyshire.  scrivenersbooks.co.uk"

I think a lot of bookstores have started offering those extra services like a coffee bar just to bring folks in...to shop.

BTW I am waiting for the next edition in the Librophiliac series as they said they would post again this month.

#11 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Mark: Well, if it's a library with books you want...how about the ultimate library?'

jb_progress_library_1_e.jpg
library-congress-reading-room.jpg

Is that pretty, and book-wormy enough for ya? :p~
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#12 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

if I take a lil trip the library I can go in when I get there is pic 1 in this,
http://www.tumblr.co...?language=de_DE
.. on UW campus, wa Huskies, Seattle,

but I link that site page b/c of the nice other pics there, hey get that Alnwick
castle library, a personal private library in a home??
;) { jpg pic}
http://img835.images.../suzzallouw.jpg

Edited by offworlder, 24 January 2013 - 06:21 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#13 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

View Postoffworlder, on 24 January 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

if I take a lil trip the library I can go in when I get there is pic 1 in this,
http://www.tumblr.co...?language=de_DE
.. on UW campus, wa Huskies, Seattle,

but I link that site page b/c of the nice other pics there, hey get that Alnwick
castle library, a personal private library in a home??
;) { jpg pic}
http://img835.images.../suzzallouw.jpg

Mark: That's beautiful!

Edited by Mark, 25 January 2013 - 04:53 AM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#14 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

that tumblr link on mine changed, it's now only one not the group of different ones; so here's one on the alnwick castle one,

plus here's a site with a clutchful of them,
http://www.beautiful...om/3500-10.html

Attached Images

• Alnwick-Castle-The-Library_jpg_920x920_q85.jpg

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Oops, I forgot about this thread, but I'm glad I remembered.  All these books and libraries and bookstores are making me feel all Zen.  :happy:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#16 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I've developed a fondness for a Pinterest board that features bookcases--pics of peoples personal libraries, bookends, bookcases projects.

http://pinterest.com/philipmsr/pins/

There is just something about books that makes me happy.

Best day is the day that a new book is waiting for me in the mailbox. :)

Still waiting for the link in the OP to get the new article with Eurpean libraries :impatient:

Edited by Tricia, 29 January 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#17 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

here are some more,
http://www.thegentle..._Libraries.html

some awesome art, carvings, plaster work in some o those, and some have
a church feel to them, and some are more for strolling shelves than
sitting to read and work,but catch that white Harvard one, and rare book
thing in Toronto, and sit n study in that Crane one in QuincyMass-
and Athenaeum thing in Vermont looks cozy I always luv the lustrous varnished
balistrade looks ;)
Nice Jacobean Folger in D.C.

#18 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

^^ The Thomas Crane Library is about five minutes from my house. :)

View PostTricia, on 29 January 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

I've developed a fondness for a Pinterest board that features bookcases--pics of peoples personal libraries, bookends, bookcases projects.  
Nice. I'll subscribe to that one, too.

Best day is the day that a new book is waiting for me in the mailbox. :)  
Oh, yeah.  :happy:

#19 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Found this link and thought I'd share it here--

http://publishnewsbr...day-until-2020/

Some new libraries were built in impoverished metropolitan areas. One example was the new São Paulo Library, built in the building of a former prison, called Carandiru, which was partially demolished in 2002. Today it attracts 30,000 visitors per month, mostly from the poorer northern region of São Paulo. Another example is the one from Manguinhos, in Rio de Janeiro, that serves 16 neighbooring slums and attracts 120,000 visitors a year.

Nevertheless, the article demonstrates that there is still a huge deficit of libraries in Brazil. It quotes the School Census from 2011, which points out that of the 146,000 primary schools existing in Brazil, only 52,000 have libraries, and out of 26,900 elementary schools, 19,600 have their own libraries.

In 2010 the Brazilian government passed a bill that obliged every school, public or private, to have an inhouse library by 2020.
According to a survey by NGO “Todos Pela Educação” (All for Education), Brazil has to build another 128,020 school libraries by 2020, which means approximately 39 new libraries per day until the demands of the bill is met.

Glad to see that they are trying to do something about it and while it may sound like nothing because there are so mnay other problems there.....the poverty for one thing....access to books and education is so very important for giving people a way to improve their lives through education.

And it makes me appreciate the libraries I have known....public and the school libraries that much more

Will go hunting to see if that new post about Europe's libraries has been put up yet later

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Library Wedding: Couple Marries In Local Public Library (PHOTOS)

http://www.huffingto...000036&ir=Books

Barbara Morrow and David Kurland share a life-long love of libraries. So when they decided to get married, they knew just where to do it.
Morrow and Kurland married Friday in the Northwest History Room at Washington's Everett Public Library. The two bookworms told HuffPost Weddings that they wanted to keep their wedding small and meaningful -- and the library, right next door to their apartment, seemed like a perfect fit.
"The library has always been a sanctuary for me. I always felt validated as a child when the librarian went to, what I believed at the time, great lengths to attend to my inquisitiveness," Morrow said. "Today, when I walk into a library, I feel calm. I look around at the stacks and know I can find out about anything. There before me, shelf after shelf, are ideas and knowledge."
Kurland, said he too has always been a voracious reader, and after he and Morrow met on Match.com two years ago, the pair often visited libraries together. When they decided to tie the knot (a second marriage for both), Morrow said she wondered, "Wouldn't it be a kick to get married in Everett Library?"
"We wanted our wedding to reflect who we are, how we travel through our lives, and what we love the most. We would rather spend money on art than on pomp and circumstance," Morrow said....

:hearts:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: libraries

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users