Hillary Clinton Politicians 2013 Benghazi terror attack Legislative Branch

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I watched the entire Senate and House hearings yesterday and wondered what others thought of the testimony.  I also wondered if anyone's opinion of Sec. Clinton was changed by her testimony.

If anyone missed it, and they want to put in the time, C-SPAN.org has the hearings still up for viewing.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

We learned a few things, IMO.  1., Rand Paul is running for president.  2., Hillary would wipe the floor with him.  3., Ron Johnson is a douche.  4., the House GOP is desperate to call "gotcha!" on Hillary on some foreign policy issue. 5., Benghazi will never be that issue.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#3 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 24 January 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

We learned a few things, IMO.  1., Rand Paul is running for president.  2., Hillary would wipe the floor with him.  3., Rob Johnson is a douche.  4., the House GOP is desperate to call "gotcha!" on Hillary on some foreign policy issue. 5., Benghazi will never be that issue.

I heard one pundit say that Hillary looked so large on that stage and that the Senators and Congressmen looked so small.  I had to agree with that assessment.  They all seemed like novices compared to her.  I'm not talking about the actual questions or her answers now, I'm just talking about presence.  Many of the hearing members [both Dems and Repubs] seemed to just be eager to share the spotlight with the Secretary.  Politically it was quite a show, and yes, I understand these kinds of hearings are all political theater.

I think it's good to finally put to rest the meme that "they were all watching the attack in real time".  That never made sense to me, but Hannity really drives that one.  So that information was good for me at least.

I was confused by McCain's assertion that he had been in touch with Stevens and the Ambassador had asked for help.  If McCain knew, why didn't he alert the Secretary?  It's not as if they don't know each other.  If McCain knew that there was real danger, why didn't he act?  

I agree the House looked desperate to catch her on something, and I am sure the testimony and her demeanor will be spun into some sort of gotcha moment for elections in 2014.

I personally resented Johnson's take on her "choking up" at one point.  He backpedaled it today, but come on, the idea that it was staged for effect so she didn't have to answer his [stupid] question is laughable.  She is very adept at answering their question to her advantage, she always has been, she didn't need to fake a tender moment.

Even if it was staged, [which I do not believe it was], can the same thing be said for Boehner every time he cries?  Or the President when he choked up over Sandy Hook?  I resent the hell out of her emotions being cited as fake and pure political theater while a man's emotions are real.  Do politicians use their own emotions for political gain?  Sure.  And, that includes Hillary Clinton.  But using one's own true emotions is different than staging an emotional moment, and staging a moment  is not that easy.  You have to be able to act, and if Hillary Clinton could act, she would have been better liked when she was First Lady.  It is a cheap shot and an easy claim for the opposition to make.

She has a 67% favorablity rating, the GOP has to slice that in half to have any hope of winning in 2016.  She is beloved by the country, even some Republicans.  It's been a long time since we've had a politician we actually were proud of.  They have to put a dent in that in order to win in 2016, maybe even to win in 2014.  If she declares before the mid-terms she may well inspire Dems to win to give her a Dem House.  Ya never know.  Her popularity is really significant, not just here in the US but in the world.

Am I a Hillary supporter   You betcha.  I would consider it an honor to cast a vote for her as President.  I think she is the most qualified leader we have seen in decades.  I hope she decides to run because I think the country [and the world] needs her.

Source:

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Unless she's got some horrible disease that we don't know about, she's running.  The only one with any hope of beating her is Christie, and I don't like his chances of clinching the nomination.  (How does he survive South Carolina?)

#5 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I agree, only Christie stands a chance, and I doubt he will make it through the Primaries.  Which is a shame btw, I always think we are blessed as Americans when we have two good candidates.  It makes losing sting a whole lot less.  

Hell, I like Christie. At least he is smart enough to cut himself out of the GOP herd.  I always like smart.

Source:

#6 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I can't remember a presidential election where we had two good candidates, but I'll take your word for it that it would be good.  :devil:

BTW, Christie is a rageoholic.  If he gets the nom, everyone will be waiting on tenterhooks for him to blow his stack over something.

If he gets a gastric bypass and takes a sharp turn to the right next year - after his re-election to NJ governor - we'll know he's running.

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

A Christie/Clinton matchup would be kinda hard for me, at least on paper.  OTOH, if the price of earning the nomination is contorting into a weird right-wing caricature the way Mitt did, the decision will be all the easier.  OTOH, do we know for sure that Joe isn't running?  I'm not sure who I'd prefer between Biden and Hillary, not that I can vote in that election.  But its hard to imagine how they differentiate themselves.

On the hearings - I saw some of it - very little, but enough to know that Secty. Clinton knew her stuff and no real answers were coming from the hearings.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Joe wants to run.  But, everyone will wait for the decision from Hillary, and so will the money backers.  It will just be very difficult for any Democrat to raise money if Hillary decides to run.  That's the really salient point at this juncture, and why everyone is waiting to see what she does. If she bows out, it opens the door to a lot of possibilities because it will open donor pockets.

It will be interesting to see how it all develops.  My one hesitation when it comes to Joe Biden is, I wonder if he can be as effective at keeping the Democratic coalition together.  Hillary polls strong in all the groups Obama does, and once Obama isn't running for President she will probably poll really well with African Americans, but I'm not sure if all of it has rubbed off on Joe Biden.  Like I said, the next few years will be interesting to watch.  [That isn't a comment on identity politics btw, just a comment on the coalition that made the Dems successful in 2008 & 2012.  To be successful in 2016, the nominee will have to keep that coalition together.]

Read someplace that Hillary just filed with the election commission and her entire 25 million debt from the 2008 campaign is paid in full.  So, she leaves with no unfinished business.

Source:

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

How crazy would it be if Joe made history as 1st. VP to serve for 12 consecutive years under two different presidents?  The mind boggles ....but it seems possible!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Maybe they will strike the same deal she had with Obama - Biden always wanted to be Secretary of State.

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 24 January 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

We learned a few things, IMO.  1., Rand Paul is running for president.  2., Hillary would wipe the floor with him.  3., Ron Johnson is a douche.  4., the House GOP is desperate to call "gotcha!" on Hillary on some foreign policy issue. 5., Benghazi will never be that issue.

Agreed. And she scored bonus points with me for making it clear at the beginning of her testimony that she was ready, willing  and able to give her testimony but that a) the fact that 4 Americans died and b) the events were happening in real time.

Bush continued to visit with schoolchildren on 9/11 and 3000+ people died. The Republicans were quick to defend Bush, and what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#12 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 24 January 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

How crazy would it be if Joe made history as 1st. VP to serve for 12 consecutive years under two different presidents?  The mind boggles ....but it seems possible!

QT

Or 16 consecutive years.  I think Joe Biden is one of the most underestimated men in American politics.  A diamond in the rough is still a diamond.

Hillary Clinton has impressed me as Secretary of State, and my previous objections to her as President or Vice President have subsided.  Depending on who else runs, I'll support her.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

How old is Hillary? Biden?  Just wondering how much that would affect their chances and decisions.   I'd be happy to support the lady from the hearings.  I didn't watch all of them, but saw a lot.  I've been impressed by Biden as well.
Cats will never be extinct!

#14 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostThemis, on 24 January 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

How old is Hillary? Biden?  Just wondering how much that would affect their chances and decisions.   I'd be happy to support the lady from the hearings.  I didn't watch all of them, but saw a lot.  I've been impressed by Biden as well.

65, 70.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#15 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostNonny, on 24 January 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

I think Joe Biden is one of the most underestimated men in American politics.  A diamond in the rough is still a diamond.

What a good description Nonny.

I've been a Biden fan for years and years.  I voted for him in a primary [maybe two, I can't remember]  I just love Biden, gaffes and all.  People cringe because he makes gaffes, but I like how unedited he is.  He loves his wife, he loves his children, he has a great life story to tell, what's not to love about him?  I've followed him every since he was on the Judiciary committee in the Senate.

Source:

#16 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

^Me too.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hillary Clinton, Politicians, 2013, Benghazi terror attack, Legislative Branch

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users