• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

BBC Article: DNA confirms bones are the King's

This is just amazing for UK history. King Richard III died over 500 years ago, and though his reign was short, it certainly was intriguing. It left some outstanding questions and mysteries to this day.

A skeleton found beneath a Leicester car park has been confirmed as that of English king Richard III.

Experts from the University of Leicester said DNA from the bones matched that of descendants of the monarch's family.

Lead archaeologist Richard Buckley, from the University of Leicester, told a press conference to applause: "Beyond reasonable doubt it's Richard."

Richard, killed in battle in 1485, will be reinterred in Leicester Cathedral.

This is really exciting news over here so thought I'd post it.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

I read about this earlier online and think it is absolutely interesting to me..

Even those forensic details included in the article as to wounds, etc. as well as how they figured this out and their findings as detailed in the link out are fascinating.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,282 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

This really is interesting. Who would have guessed they'd find the remains of a king beneath a car park?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Interesting!  Josephine Tey comes to mind.   :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

That's amazing news!

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Funnily enough he was found under a big R (part of NO PARKING) ... I suppose it would have been better if he'd been found under the KING :lol:

Sparky

#7 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

after reading so much on the wars of the roses and the princes and two biographies on king Edward, and the first tudor and those who came from Gaunt and Henry vi and Henry V; Warwick and his times and doings, all the marriages and allicances, manipulations and manoeuverings and schemes; and of course the four Plantagenet books of Costain, he was the first one for me who brought the historians and their debates on Henry vii and Richard out in the popular open and to me about what could have happened in that damn tower... I became as much an expert as you can do without actually being one ;) but then that was a previous life long in my past eight lives ago
:harper:

so it is nice to me to see this development; so many of the kings' remains we have in various churches, tombs, abbies; even though the Cromwell clan tried their best to savage and strew round as many as they could get ahold
;)

PS- I want to give our readers a super lil summary BBC has on what went wrong for Richard, what was he really doing and facing, and why,
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-21083005

' Ms Pidgeon said: "In some ways this is where it starts to go wrong. Edward's heir, also called Edward, is just 12 years old which makes his grasp on power uncertain.

"Add to that the new king's mother, and her family the Woodvilles, are hungry for power. All this in a land which has seen decades of changing loyalties and rivalries.

"Richard was sitting on a powder keg."
In the ensuing power struggle, Richard had several nobles executed and placed Edward V and his younger brother in the Tower of London, a secure royal residence.
Within days, doubts about the legitimacy of the two princes were proclaimed and Richard was offered the crown.

_Double blow_
Dr John Ashdown-Hill, the author of a book about the last days of Richard, said: "This was not a straightforward succession.
"While I think Richard was the rightful heir because his brother's children were illegitimate, there was some upset over the passage of the crown to Richard.
"Some people will have viewed him as someone ready to be ousted."

Ms Pidgeon said: "This led to a split between those who supported the family of Edward IV and those who saw Richard as the more legitimate and more capable leader.

"And of course there are lots of shifting allegiances with people thinking of what is best for them, usually in terms of land and money." '

OH I Read so much on all those dang Woodville scroungers what came up from that one lady Edward married...
;)
SO did Richard do it for himself or for the realm? well both really.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#8 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

The "sound bites" on our news made it sound like a happy accident.  Turns out they were specifically looking in the probable location of Grey Friars.  Fascinating story.
Cats will never be extinct!

#9 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostNonny, on 04 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

No kidding!  I was thinking the exact same thing!  :cool:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Yeah . . . on the news just now they were talking about giving the old sod a "proper" burial.

Considering the type of guy he was, shouldn't he be buried under a latrine or something?
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#11 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

^ Depends whether you're a Ricardian or not I guess. He was an excellent King who may or may not have had two young princes executed - the evidence on either side of the argument is circumstantial, so we don't know. What we do know was that he was a well-respected ruler who kept peace in the North and was known for  being fair and just.

Yes, he deserves a proper burial.

Sparky

#12 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 05 February 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

^ Depends whether you're a Ricardian or not I guess. He was an excellent King who may or may not have had two young princes executed - the evidence on either side of the argument is circumstantial, so we don't know. What we do know was that he was a well-respected ruler who kept peace in the North and was known for  being fair and just.

Yes, he deserves a proper burial.

Sparky

As an anti-monarchist, I say he deserves the latrine treatment.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#13 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 04 February 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Funnily enough he was found under a big R (part of NO PARKING) ... I suppose it would have been better if he'd been found under the KING :lol:

:howling:   Well, R for Rex works too.   :D
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 05 February 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on 04 February 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

No kidding!  I was thinking the exact same thing!  :cool:

Time for a reread!    :cool:
Posted Image

#15 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

:cool:

Time for a reread!    :cool:

I canna believe I never heard o that book, so jus took a look, library
online: all copies in use.............. it's a 1951 book I never heard of...
............. all copies in use;(!?) plus the '95 paperback of it.. all copies
in use .......... this book seen as some popular tie in to the issue, geez ya
THink??
;)
so this book one I should really consult, not only for some background knowledge
but also just a fun good read?

PS, i luv mysteries and writing one now too- I should check out her inspector grant mysteries?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

We should start a thread on Historical Whodunnits :cool:

#17 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

View Postoffworlder, on 05 February 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

:cool:

Time for a reread! :cool:

I canna believe I never heard o that book, so jus took a look, library
online: all copies in use.............. it's a 1951 book I never heard of...
............. all copies in use;(!?) plus the '95 paperback of it.. all copies
in use .......... this book seen as some popular tie in to the issue, geez ya
THink??
;)
so this book one I should really consult, not only for some background knowledge
but also just a fun good read?

Absolutely!

PS, i luv mysteries and writing one now too- I should check out her inspector grant mysteries?

That too.   :)
Posted Image

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 05 February 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

We should start a thread on Historical Whodunnits :cool:

Sounds like a plan!   :)
Posted Image

#19 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

http://http://www.ne...l#ixzz2K7kdiGrE

Rupert Murdoch Emerges as Winning Bidder for Richard III’s Bones

... But Mr. Murdoch’s shocking purchase of Richard’s bones has ignited howls of protest from British historians like Alistair Grindle, who warns that the media magnate’s motives may be far from pure.
“It would not surprise me one bit if Murdoch attempted to reanimate Richard III’s DNA and use him to seize control of the British government,” says Mr. Grindle. “The last thing this world needs is Rupert Murdoch and Richard III working together.”
For his part, Mr. Murdoch said he was baffled why his purchase of Richard III had proven so controversial: “This is far from the first time I’ve bought a British leader.”

:freakoutnonny:  :howling:  :D

Posted Image

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sparky, check out the discussion of this article that historical novelist Jo Beverley posted and I shared at fb.  :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-21328380
Richard III: Facial reconstruction shows king's features

... Experts from the University of Leicester said DNA from the skeleton matches that of a descendant of Richard III's family.
Dr Ashdown-Hill said: "We weren't certain whether the body was Richard III so the facial reconstruction - particularly if it hadn't been possible to get DNA from the bones - might have been an additional piece of evidence, and still is."
Caroline Wilkinson, professor of craniofacial identification at the University of Dundee, said: "It was a great privilege to be able to analyse a skull thought to be Richard III.
"The facial reconstruction was produced on the assumption that the remains were unknown and portraits of Richard III were not used as reference.
"When the 3D digital bust was complete it was replicated in plastic using a rapid prototyping system and this was painted, prosthetic eyes added and dressed with a wig, hat and clothing."
Prof Wilkinson said the Dundee team artist, Janice Aitken, only used the portraits of Richard III at this stage as reference for hair style and colour, eye colour, skin colour and clothing.
The team estimated the end result was as accurate as possible.
"Our facial reconstruction methods have been blind tested many times using living subjects and we know that we can expect that approximately 70% of the facial surface should have less than 2mm of error," said Prof Wilkinson.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2013, Richard III, skeleton, archaeology, uk history, leicester, car park

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users