• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

are y'all up in NE braving it all, making out all right with this new front, winter storm day?

http://abcnews.go.co...t-snow-18444937

I'll edit in another couple stories on this, but here's AP from abc to start,

> From New Jersey to Maine, shoppers crowded into supermarkets and hardware stores to buy food, snow shovels, flashlights as well as generators — something that became a precious commodity after Superstorm Sandy in October. Others gassed up their cars, another lesson learned all too well after Sandy. Across much of New England, schools closed well ahead of the first snowflakes.

"This is a storm of major proportions. Stay off the roads. Stay home," said Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

The snowstorm mercifully arrived at the start of a weekend, which means fewer cars on the road and extra time for sanitation crews to clear the mess before commuters in the New York-to-Boston corridor of roughly 25 million people have to go back to work. But it could also mean a weekend cooped up indoors.

so anyone want to ADD some Martin quote from the Westeros thing to this winter day, NE?
;)

ps, edit, add,(BloomergBiz)
> http://www.businessw...s-historic-snow

> Boston and Providence, Rhode Island, are expected to receive more than 24 inches by tomorrow night, according to the weather service. Some areas may get as much as 30 inches. Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick ordered all roads closed, except for some vehicles, such as ambulances, at 4 p.m. Violators face fines and a year in jail.

“I want to be clear -- 2 or 3 feet of snow in this period of time is a profoundly different type of storm than we’ve had to deal with,” Patrick, 56, said at the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency’s underground command center in Framingham, a Boston suburb. The storm will bring “extremely dangerous conditions” and “the recovery will be very slow,” he said.

_Rail Service_
Rail service between Boston and New York stopped after 1:40 p.m., Amtrak said. Passenger trains also were suspended from Boston to Albany, New York, and Portland, Maine, and the last run from Springfield, Massachusetts, left at 10:30 a.m. In New Jersey, NJ Transit said some trains and bus service would be suspended at 8 p.m.

Edited by offworlder, 08 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

This reminds me of the Blizzard of '78 (soon after I arrived in New Enland from temperate Georgia) I'ss seriously underestimated in the published photos I find online. Everyone remembers as a once-in-a-century blizzard, because little of the media reports the OTHER "century" blizzard that within about a week.

Attached File  a4.jpg   24.7K   0 downloads
"That was a heck of a blizzard last week! Good thing there won't be another until after I'm dead"
Not so fast, Unclear-On-Probability Guy. Try TOMORROW. Big blizzards happen in... circumstances favoring big blizzards--like this year] I suspect the pedestrian maze, at its peak, inspired PacMan and Donkey Kong

Oddly, some of the most evocative images I found on a quick search don't have snow in them at all:

Attached File  a1.jpg   89K   0 downloads

That's not snow burying that three ton 70s station wagon. It's sea-borne rocks and sand that came over the nearby harbor wall in Scituate -- and it's not sitting in an open field or beach. That used to be a neighborhood, but the buildings around it were mowed down by the heavy abrasive rocks/debris.

Attached File  a3.jpg   65.45K   0 downloads

This other shot of Scituate illustrates how far back the devastation reached from the shore (This wasn't even an oceanfront house. It was just the closest to survive) It also illustrates how to distinguish a truly regal "throne" from all the pretenders.

Attached File  a2.jpg   90.04K   0 downloads

Yup. It wasn't your usual "snow" clean-up.

I'd personally worry about RJDiogenes, who I hope will check in soon -- while he still has power! (We should drag in eT and the other Bostonians, and spend tomorrow telling epics tales of '78, which took a coupla weeks to get over--not counting Valentines '78, which (for me, at least) was even more disastrous!

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

In 10 hours, it won't even be a blizzard warning anymore and all I can say is: I'm very disappointed.

The house radar claims there's a heavy front about an hour away, and all I can say is... there better be!

YA HEAR THAT, OLD MAN WINTER? TWO YEARS I'VE TAUNTED YOU AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS DIDDLY AND SQUAT--MOSTLY SQUAT? KURAZON DAX COUGHED UP MORE WHITE STUFF WHEN HIS RAKTAJINO WENT DOWN THE WRONG PIPE!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... "tempting fate". So what?
I've taken harder hits from tempting the comely Ex Isle Ladies. At least THEY'RE unfailingly worth it!

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

We even had snow in the SW yesterday!  My trip to the VA hospital rises from sea level to about 3,000 ft, and the driving rain apparently turned to snow after I passed through Banning, Beaumont and Calimesa.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Snow for Boston and pwr out for 400000?
http://www.boston.co...qv4J/story.html

> The Boston Fire Department said today that the boy of about 11 was on Nazing Street, near Franklin Park, when he got into a small four-door sedan to get warm after shoveling the walkway and car at about 11:40 a.m. Rescuers took him to Boston Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Other than that incident, there were no major injuries or deaths due to the storm, officials said.

Governor Deval Patrick said this afternoon he was partially lifting a statewide travel ban and the ban would be completely lifted at 4 p.m., 24 hours after he first imposed it.

He asked people to be patient with the pace of storm recovery efforts. “We have a lot of snow to dispose of and to remove. And it will take some time to do that. That is a prerequisite to ... getting power restored,” he said.

National Guard troops headed to coastal communities to assist in evacuations due to giant waves and storm surges that sent the ocean sweeping onto shoreside roads and homes.

The storm howled its way into the record books. The National Weather Service said 24.9 inches of snow fell at Logan International Airport, the fifth highest snowfall ever recorded.

Plus storm pounds Hull in video at the right,

And here's a SNOW gallery from Boston,
http://www.boston.co...7K/gallery.html

Edited by offworlder, 09 February 2013 - 03:30 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#6 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I know a lot of people are having it rough, but Winter has been avoiding me since I started taunting it. Seriously, if you look at an online weather radar scan of eastern MA during a blizzard, and there is one dark pixel, it's usually my area.

"Yeah, that's right, Old Man Winter. I admit I've been bullying you. What are you going to do about it?"

On the Good News side, all the local ERs reported relatively few cases during the storm, compared to past storms, mostly due to advance notice (and acceptance) of its severity and a regional road ban.

Contrast with 1978:

Wikipedia: Northeastern US Blizzard of 1978 said:

Boston and Providence recorded all-time highs for 24-hour and storm snowfall records.[3] Many people were left without heat, water, food, and electricity for over a week after the storm finished. Approximately 10,000 people were forced to move temporarily into emergency shelters. Some 2,500 houses were reported seriously damaged or destroyed and 54 people were killed, many from fallen electric wires. Several people were found dead in downtown Providence, particularly in the vicinity of the central police station, who may have died trying to seek shelter. Ten-year-old Peter Gosselin, of Uxbridge, Massachusetts, disappeared in the deep snow just feet from his home's front door but was not found until three weeks later.[11] [12] The majority of the interstate system had to be shut down, with some stretches not reopening to traffic until the following week. Air and rail traffic also had to be shut down until the situation cleared up.

Because the snowfall rates were so high, plows could not keep up with removal as fresh amounts fell, causing it to pile up too high to be plowed easily. Plows were further hampered by the number of cars stuck on the roads because of the heavy snow. In Boston, the snow drifts and levels were so high that the city's sanitation department was overwhelmed, as there was no more room to put the snow, so much of the snow had to be hauled and dumped in nearby harbors. Throughout the region, the high winds caused enormous drifts.

A state of emergency was declared by governors in the affected states and the United States National Guard was called out to help clear the roads. Additional troops were flown into Boston to assist. It took six days to clear the roads as cars and trucks buried under the snow needed to be removed before the routes could be opened. The blizzard brought out a feeling of camaraderie, as it affected everyone equally. Neighbors assisted each other, using sleds to transport elderly persons and helping to deliver groceries for those in need. Governor Ella T. Grasso ordered all roads in Connecticut closed except for emergency travel, effectively shutting down the state for three days;[13][14] Governor Michael Dukakis of Massachusetts did the same.

Extensive beach erosion occurred on the east coast of Massachusetts. Especially hard-hit were Cape Cod and Cape Ann, both on the eastern shore of Massachusetts. Duxbury Beach was hit with 85 mph (137 km/h) gusts. In Truro, on Cape Cod, the Atlantic Ocean broke through to the Pamet River for the first time during this storm, completely washing away the link between the North and South Pamet roads. The town chose not to reconstruct the link, though the right-of-way is still open to pedestrians.

Many homes along the New England and Long Island coastlines were destroyed or washed into the ocean. Many roof collapses occurred across New England from the snow (although not that of the Hartford Civic Center, which had collapsed a few weeks earlier in the morning of January 18, 1978[15] during another snowstorm).

Meanwhile, there's a massive snowball fight in Killian Court (MIT). Balls were stockpiled, lines were formed, arms were cocked, until the whistle blew at exactly 4:05pm EST.

There was a 1000+ person snowball fight slated between Artisans Asylum (my hacker/maker group) and an outdoors assn yesterday in Union Square Somerville (I couldn't attend due to the Bpston area road ban at 1pm. I've been waiting for an Action Report)

-- Orpheus "after all the decades he's bullied me, payback is a sietch"

Edited by Orpheus, 09 February 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Orph was right to be concerned. When he posted that, I had already been without power for over a half hour.  Ultimately, I was without power for over 33 hours.  Friday night through Saturday evening were spent in a freezing and dark house, wishing for power to be restored-- and not understanding why it wasn't, since there was power on the next block.  A little after 8oclock last night, they came and took me to a local shelter where I spent the night with some other refugees.  Not the best way to spend a Saturday night, but it was warm and they had food and I got to doze off intermittently.  And everybody was nice. About 6oclock this morning, the Quincy police came and took me home.  It took me a few hours to get the chill out of the place.  But everything is pretty much back to normal now.

I also remember the Blizzard of 78.  I was in high school then, and I mostly remember the snow-piled streets being empty of cars for days on end and people walking about everywhere. It was like being transported to a prior century.  My mother was working at St. Margaret's then and was considered essential personnel, so the National Guard came and took her to work-- they had to put her in the front of an earth mover to get her up Jones Hill.  I don't remember us ever losing power, though.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

St. Margarets? Is that now labeled as the Women's and Infants annex at St. Elizabeth's (ironically, my octagenarian Dad goes there regularly) That hill's a killer! I've often wondered how they managed it in the horse and buggy days

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

It was a rich neighborhood in those days-- they could afford all the horsepower they needed. :D

Allegedly, St. Margaret's "moved" to St. Elizabeth's when it closed-- in reality, St. E's grudgingly accepted a handful of our people and turned the rest away.  St. Mary's Home took over the entire campus on Jones Hill and now houses multiple services and charitable organizations.  I worked up there from 1985 until it closed and that hill was indeed a nightmare in the Winter.  Luckily, I mostly parked at the lot at the foot of Windemere Road or the off-campus parking at the IBEW.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2013, weather, snow, winter, storm, winter storm

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users