160 replies to this topic

#1 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hey all. :)

So it turns out I couldn't actually quite let go of a "TNG" type idea for RPing so I've decided to start a new game even if it's just me and Chatty playing. It's the successor of Guardians of Delmi, set on the planet of Samsarra. Two centuries after the end of the last game. I've done some basic world-building and gotten a basic premise.

Firstly, the game takes place after two centuries. Basically, think of Earth in the 18th century, the British Industrial Revolution. The age of steam power and beginnings of scientific advancement. I’d recommend looking up the wiki page on the Industrial Revolution for a better idea. However, women aren’t restricted like they were in the real world and there are entire fields of psionic learning and research at universities and academies. In Sandesina at least, I haven’t quite worked out how advanced the Elviri are yet or whether their civilisation has taken a different route of advancement.

We’ll be playing a group of explorers who are exploring the newly discovered continent of Ariqua. We’ll have our own steam ship to sail around in and a single ‘colony town’ to act as a secondary base of operations. The town will be run equally by Sandesinan Humes and Dhaskan Elviri.

And after centuries of a good trading relationship, Sandesina and Dhaska have a formal alliance. By the time of the new game some 200 years later, the alliance is about 50 years old. Over the two centuries Sandesina has conquered Telmiyar and so control most of the Talmia continent where we played the first game.

The Kilairi have grown and prospered but maintain a relatively small nation on Talmia because most of them emigrated to Kilasetti when it was discovered. Still they continue to be good neighbours to Sandesina.

So, there are three new continents in addition to Talmia and Rivisia.

It must be noted that the Kilairi were spread over 3 continents when the Nane fiasco happened and when the Guardians of Delmi restored the Ellecrys network, they restored the Kilairi in more than just Talmia and Rivisia.

To the east of Talmia there is the Kilasetti continent and there are some more Kilairi living there. When they were freed from the Nane realm they were first supported by the local, slightly more primitive Humes who welcomed them into their cities at first. But once they were settled the Kilairi quickly began using their knowledge to build better cities and educate their Hume friends. The result was the Humes being converted and absorbed into Kilairi culture, which adjusted a bit to accomadate the new Hume citizens. It’s not quite as advanced as Sandesina but they are an independant power. Nevertheless there are Alsweyran colony towns along the western coast.

To the west of Talmia and Rivisia is the continent of Telgar. When Telgar was found about a century ago they found out that Telgar had suffered the equivalent of the Black Death, and the disease had only subsided four years before the Sandesinan explorers arrived and so the small, primitive population was easily conquered and absorbed by the rushing influx of Sandesinan and Dhaskan colonists. The Humes occupy the northern half of Telgar, and the Elviri the southern half. In the last 100 years it has become a major centre of advancement and learning for both species.

Finally we come to the Ariqua continent, home of the Ariqun species who follow the “Quanar” religion. In short they look like the Qunari of DA2 but they wear more clothes and less body paint. And their culture is heavily based off DA2’s Qun. (Seriously, although it’s a long read it’s better to just read the wikia page I provide.) Geographically Ariqua is the continent furthest away from Sandesina/Rivisia, nor is this an exhaustive list of any islands or smaller-than-a-continent landmasses. It sits within the southern hemisphere and thus it  has a tropical/rainforest type climate. The island chain around it sports several active volcanoes.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Qunari

The Ariqun are a playable race however given they’re not exactly on ‘our side’ you may be better off playing a Tal-Vashoth. Or else be real good at playing to the Quanar. They are technologically inferior to Sandesina but they are still a force to be reckoned within their homeland.

There are also two other playable races, a Hume, and an Elviri derivative.

There are two new variants of Hume and Elviri to play. Basically long ago during the formation of the planet the continents were all one landmass. Eventually the landmass broke apart into different continents which drifted apart. When the continent was one, there were the distant ancestors of today’s Humes, Elviri, Ariqun and Kilairi. When the continents broke apart, different populations of said races were separated and over the millennia they have evolved into different forms due to different environmental pressures.

Zapiyan Hume = Patched skin of different shades. Physiologically they are a physically robust species where the male and female have no discernable difference in muscle strength/mass/bone durability. Normal range of Hume hair and eye colour apply. They live in Aqiqua’s  tropical/rainforest climate and build their dwellings in trees. Entire tree-villages made of wood and bindings. They are tribal, ritualistic but keep the tattooing to a minimum and do not pierce their skin. They tend to use wooden spears and arrows with the tips laced with the venom from venomous toads or snakes. They either forage the rainforest for edible plants or partake in limited agriculture. They primarily hunt the local wildlife including monkeys.

Salaren Elviri = In short they are a replica of Skyrim’s Dunmer in case of physical terms. The grey skin, pointed ears, facial ridges, red (or orange) eyes. Normal range of Elviri hair colour apply. Culturally I believe they’re also tribal, but I also let Chatty design their culture so she’ll post the relevant details when she’s ready. ;)

Though remember, you can play a Hume, Elviri, Ariqun from any nationality or place, we're all just a bunch of explorers.

Edited by Mikoto, 18 February 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#2 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Oh yeah. Almost forgot.

We almost certainly won't be dragonriders. We're not Guardians or law enforcement although one or two of us may be to act as scouts.

There will be supernatural about and one or two players can probably still be one.

And, when I'm done designing them there will be two new variations of vampire or vampire-like being to potentially choose from. There will be lycans though but likely of the more tropical varieties, too.
Rejected and gone.

#3 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Whew!! You've worked hard on this :clap:, very impressive. I will let the info be absorbed into my brain and see what Chatty posts. There's alot to choose from, but I'm sure you two have your preferences and know what you want to play already. I'll wait to see what's remaining, although a wild cat lycan of some sort would be fun :angel:.

#4 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Okay, here's the bit about the Salrans:

The Salaran Islands is a group of islands in the North Waking Sea and are situated southwest of Talmia's West Coast at a distance of approximately 3000 km, or approximately 2500 miles.

The climate is tropical and the natives live in fishing villages close to the oceans. There are also tribes of hunter-gatherers farther inland on a couple of the larger islands, and they are semi-nomadic.

The wildlife includes monkeys, lizards, snakes, wild boars, and small deer. There is an abundance of fish and edible aquatic animals/crustaceans and plants and the natives know which of these to harvest.

The fauna include many tropical fruit trees-mango, banana, coconut, and citrus. Plus there are other edible vegetation, as well as medicinal herbs/vegetation/poisons which all of the natives know about. They use spears/bows and arrows and they know how to tip them with poison to make killing easier. The fisher tribes also use nets woven from coconut fiber to catch fish in, as coconut fibers are very strong.

The natives themselves have grey-green or grey-blue skin, are slightly shorter than humes. They have prominent forehead ridges and red, vertical-slitted eyes and pointed ears. Their hair can be long or short, and just about any color that hume/elviri hair comes in. They don't use tattoos, but some may pierce their ears or noses for decorative purposes. Their dress is adapted to the tropical climate, which means they wear very little. The males may wear a type of leather short and the women the same thing, along with a swimsuit-type top.

The islands are always in danger from tsunamis, but they are rarely hit, due to an abundance of natural, deep underwater trenches, which helps disperse all but the largest.There are also earthquakes, usually from volcanic activity and the two main islands both have an active volcano on one side of them.

They are also in danger from tropical storms during the hottest months, and rain from early spring through the summer, with fall/winter being much drier.

There are two large, main islands, one on each end, with several smaller islets and atolls between them. The natives can travel within their island groups on outrigger canoes, which they also use for fishing, but they can't travel to the mainland as it's too far away.

The main islands, islets and atolls are all the exposed peaks of the great undersea Salaran mountain range.

The largest island, forming the end closest to Talmia's west coast is called Mahi-Mahi and the slightly smaller island on the other end is called Kukui. There are eight smaller islets and atolls scattered between them, which make up the entire grouping. One or two of the smallest islets are usually uninhabited, but may be used as resting points between trips to the larger, outlying islands.

#5 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

I've found a couple of good head shots of what we consider the Salarans and have retouched the hair a bit, but by all means, they can have many other shades (I'm just not that good with retouching) And their hair can be long or short and be done in other styles.

SalarianF.jpg
SalarianFblond.jpg
SalarianFred.jpg
SalarianFwhite.jpg
SalarianM.jpg
SalarianMwhite.jpg

#6 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostNikki Peppermint, on 18 February 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

Whew!! You've worked hard on this :clap:, very impressive. I will let the info be absorbed into my brain and see what Chatty posts. There's alot to choose from, but I'm sure you two have your preferences and know what you want to play already. I'll wait to see what's remaining, although a wild cat lycan of some sort would be fun :angel:.

Thank you Nikki. :D It's always nice to know when one's hard work has been appreciated.

I studied Earth history to figure out the era and how long it took us humans to get there, factored in psionics/Kilairi/supernatural intervention, then went on to decide the cultures and how things would work out. ;)

In my case I'll be playing a Hume female Sandesinan, captain of our steam boat and descendant of Joanna/Talyn. My second character will reflect what everyone else makes.

Also, the Salaran Elviri will be totally fertile and compatible with regular Elviri. Same for the Zapyian Humes and regular humes. Ariqun will not be compatible with either.

As for the unique supernaturals to Ariqun, yeah I think I said there will be tropical Lycan species there. But you won't find Nightwalkers or Daywalkers unless they've travelled out from Talmia.

However, I'm looking at a subcuubus/incubuus type of vampire for the native breed of vampire. :whis: You'll know more when I finish designing them.
Rejected and gone.

#7 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm getting confused on all the continents and countries and races. If I try to do a listing for myself and post it or PM you, will you tell me if it's right? Sometimes I need things very concise just to see the overall picture. (I'm very visual...I always have to do maps/graphics for my stories that I write!) I just need to see it like: Europe: Germany/France/etc: Human

View PostMikoto, on 18 February 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

...women aren’t restricted like they were in the real world and there are entire fields of psionic learning and research at universities and academies. In Sandesina at least, I haven’t quite worked out how advanced the Elviri are yet or whether their civilisation has taken a different route of advancement.

Yay woman being equal!! ;)

There are also two other playable races, a Hume, and an Elviri derivative...Also, the Salaran Elviri will be totally fertile and compatible with regular Elviri. Same for the Zapyian Humes and regular humes.

So, there will still be the Humes and Elviri from before. And they can have intermarried and produced children. Did the new derivations appear over the 200 years time difference or were they there on another continent all along? I ask so that if Tialyn's Elviri daughter was to have a descendent, this character could be a mix? Unless I just make a completely new one, which is another possibility.

I really did try to understand everything but may have missed some info!!

Also, I think somewhere you said no dragons in this game. Are there still dragons around at all, or did they go extinct or leave?

I may have more questions, if that's alright ;).

#8 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

It's fine to ask questions. :lol: I put an infodump into the thread and while it makes perfect sense in my head, it might not in others.

Maps are coming btw, since Chatty and I are working on different aspects we're taking a litte time to work out the exact geography. ;) So let's see....

Yeah Sandesina, on the continent of Talmia is the "Hume" nation. Unsurprisingly given my own heritage it's heavily British-like. They colonised Telgar, to the west, which you could by some stretch call a proto-America. (Not sure if they'll do the whole Independance thing or remain a colony yet though.)

Ariqua.... erm.... well. I don't think there is really a real-world equivalent. It's just a brand new continent that's been found on the other side of the world. But the two new variations of Elviri and Hume have been there far longer than the last 200 years. Try more like 200,000, Ish. That's a random number, it could be longer. I'd have to look up exactly when humankind first evolved on Earth to tell you how long ago they've been on Ariqua. I'll look it up later. ;)

Anyway, since the Salaran Elviri live on an Island chain between Ariqua and Telgar, they woul have been the first 'natives' that explorers from Sanesina and Dhaska would have met so a hybrid by the time we start the game is entirely possible. In addition, a Sandesinan-Dhaskan colony town would have been founded on Ariqua about 25 years ago so you could have a hybrid there.

Hope that helps.
Rejected and gone.

#9 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Oh and dragons. Yes they still exist and yes they're still with people. But, since we're not playing Guardians or any kind of law enforcement in this game, most of us won't be eligible as dragonrider candidates.
Rejected and gone.

#10 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, now that I've been able to run and get my tags (my truck tag was out) I can work on a map.

For a visualization, I'm using some of the larger Hawaiian islands as references, Salaran obviously doesn't have as many islands/islets/atolls.

#11 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Here's some images of what Ariqun look like for those of you who are unfamiliar with DA or the Qunari

Ariqun.jpg
Ariqunh.jpg
Ariqunf.jpg
Ariqunf1.jpg
Ariqunmf.jpg

#12 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

And here's a map of the Salaran Islands. Not to scale, but should give you a rough idea.

Salaran Islands.jpg

Obviously, I 'borrowed' some topographical images of known islands and just arranged them how I saw the Salarans.

The tiny green islets are uninhabited, but are used as resting spots for fishermen/travelers between islands and have small populations of wildlife and edible plants/fruit on them.

#13 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Okay, so we would be similar to European explorers "discovering" a new continent with native inhabitants. I can visualize this now in terms of our history, yay!!!

View PostMikoto, on 19 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Maps are coming btw, since Chatty and I are working on different aspects we're taking a litte time to work out the exact geography.
Didn't meant to seem like I was rushing or anything!! I now see the awesome map that Chatty did...very nice :)!!

...the two new variations of Elviri and Hume have been there far longer than the last 200 years. Try more like 200,000, Ish. That's a random number, it could be longer. I'd have to look up exactly when humankind first evolved on Earth to tell you how long ago they've been on Ariqua. I'll look it up later. ;)
Oh don't go to any trouble!! It's enough to know they've been there all along and longer, like the Native Americans were over here.

Anyway, since the Salaran Elviri live on an Island chain between Ariqua and Telgar, they woul have been the first 'natives' that explorers from Sanesina and Dhaska would have met so a hybrid by the time we start the game is entirely possible. In addition, a Sandesinan-Dhaskan colony town would have been founded on Ariqua about 25 years ago so you could have a hybrid there.
Okay then! That answers a lot :).

Dragons, check. No dragons for us, check. ;)

View PostEChatty, on 19 February 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Here's some images of what Ariqun look like for those of you who are unfamiliar with DA or the Qunari
Eeeeeeeek!! :bag: They're scary!! I'm not familiar at all with what you said above, so I am afraid of them now ;).

Thanks for all of the answers, you two! I know it's easier to see things in your own heads when you create everything, so I appreciate all the clarifications.

#14 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Also, I suppose this means I am in for this game :angel:. It wouldn't be fair to ask all these quesions, then not play! But only this and PoD now...no more for me :nono:.  Or my life will look like this!! :trainwreck:

#15 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hybrid2.png

Would this be a good hybrid look? If so, I'm claiming this picture (or stealing it, actually ;)).

#16 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

You're welcome. :) I'm on my brother's laptop now at his place because I'm babysitting my nephew. He's finally gone to bed so I can start working on the rest of it.

My second character will probably be a female Ariqun who left the rigid religion/society that is the Quanar.

*Laughs.* Thanks for joining. And yes that picture is fine.
Rejected and gone.

#17 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

All right. ;) The Miko has figured out a new breed of vampire.

The Shadowwalker/Inccubus/Succubus Vampire- They're a distant relative of the Daywalker in that they are technically alive rather than undead, and like the name implies they feed off sexual energies/lifeforce. They will have the traditional fangs, claws and like their Night/Daywalker cousins most of them quickly succumb to their new vampiric nature to become ruthless, cunning, amoral hunters.

When 'turned' an individual will shift into what they'd look like in their early twenties with certain physical attributes shifted to be generally more attractive. They are much less tolerant to sunlight than other varieties-barely able to withstand an hour of sunlight. However their lifespan is much longer-if they can survive long enough they can live up to three thousand years. They need to feed once every three-four days. Physically they are only a little bit strong and faster than a Hume/Elviri/Ariqun of their size.

As far as abilities go, Shadowwalkers can emit a kind 'super pheromone' at will, which will subtly lure their chosen victim to them and lower inhibitions.

They also have a form of telepathy that is eye-contact only. The ability to influence the mortal mind into doing what the vampire wants them to. However a strong-willed individual can resist it with effort.
Rejected and gone.

#18 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,740 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostNikki Peppermint, on 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Okay, so we would be similar to European explorers "discovering" a new continent with native inhabitants. I can visualize this now in terms of our history, yay!!!

View PostMikoto, on 19 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Maps are coming btw, since Chatty and I are working on different aspects we're taking a litte time to work out the exact geography.
Didn't meant to seem like I was rushing or anything!! I now see the awesome map that Chatty did...very nice :)!!

...the two new variations of Elviri and Hume have been there far longer than the last 200 years. Try more like 200,000, Ish. That's a random number, it could be longer. I'd have to look up exactly when humankind first evolved on Earth to tell you how long ago they've been on Ariqua. I'll look it up later. ;)
Oh don't go to any trouble!! It's enough to know they've been there all along and longer, like the Native Americans were over here.

Okay then! That answers a lot :).

Dragons, check. No dragons for us, check. ;)

View PostEChatty, on 19 February 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Eeeeeeeek!! :bag: They're scary!! I'm not familiar at all with what you said above, so I am afraid of them now ;).

Thanks for all of the answers, you two! I know it's easier to see things in your own heads when you create everything, so I appreciate all the clarifications.

About the map...thanks, I just threw it together (lots of C&P and painting to match my 'sea')

The Ariqun are pretty scary in DA as well, very strong. That first is an Arishok, or leader of an army. You have to fight him one on one (which is not easy, but much easier than fighting him + everyone else in the room ;) ) eventually.

These likely will be just as scary.

View PostNikki Peppermint, on 19 February 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Attachment Hybrid2.png

Would this be a good hybrid look? If so, I'm claiming this picture (or stealing it, actually ;)).

I like that picture. I'm thinking about bringing in a male hybrid myself, an Oblivion Dunmer (which doesn't have the forehead ridges. I'm playing a male, and he might be moved here (with a different name) Here's a screen I took of him, obviously without armor ;)

Tevyn Syndelius.jpg

Now I just need to figure out a bio on him. Oh, and his hair is a lot longer than it looks from the front, it's tied in a ponytail and falls just below his shoulders.

#19 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Ghosts - Though mentioned in my previous game they were seldom used. That'll change in Ariqua. Ghosts are a little more common there. Spirits of the dead that can come out at night in graveyards. Most will conceal themselves from any mortal wandering into a graveyard after the sun goes down but some can be far less kind or tolerant. In short, enter a graveyard at your own peril, lest you find mind or body attacked, or end up beind possessed by a ghost.

A ghost may also be found haunting places where they died if the manner of their death was unjust, unexpected and they can't let go.

Physically they're a semi-transparent, white coloured version of how they appeared right before they died. Can go invisible, pass through objects or into objects. They're linked to the psionic energy field in Samsarra so psions can interact with them, fight them and influence them.

Getting a ghost out of a person posssessed requires an exorcism. This has to be done by ritual. Someone with stored psionic energy in crystals and the right knowledge can do it. A psion with the right knowledge can do it. And a priest/priestess can do it.

I suppose you could play a ghost if you'd like. Just means I'd have to develop more concrete rules regarding it. ;)
Rejected and gone.

#20 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I still like the idea of a lycan, if those will be in the game. A jungle cat-type. If not, that's totally okay...not like I'll have enough to play with :angel:.

I like your guy character, Chatty. :)

And I got a chuckle out of "The Miko".

Edited by Nikki Peppermint, 19 February 2013 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users