• This topic is locked This topic is locked
428 replies to this topic

#121 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Arlene had acknowledged Elizabeth's order with a single nod and watched as the four archers made their near-perfect shots and dispatched the four watchmen that had been guarding the slaver vessel. While she did put her pack down with the others, she wasn't a part of the raid. Once the others had set off to begin the attack she sat down next to Tevyn and closed her hand gently around his wrist to use her psionic healing abilities to sense how much using the bow had taken out of him. She gave a little frown when she did then reached into her medical pack and mixed up a herbal concoction into a drinkable potion. "Here." Arlene held out the tin cup of potion. "It's a mild stimulant similar to caffeine mixed in with a restorative. It should help you feel better. Once you've drank that, you should have a snack." She advised as she pulled down her hood since it wasn't raining anymore.

#122 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

Tevyn glanced down after Arlene sat next to him and took hold of his wrist. He knew she was checking him over, but the light touch was doing more that. When she handed him her concoction, he took it and drank it, then he reached into his pack and took out some snacks and munched on them as he regarded her. "So, tell me about yourself." He ventured, keeping his voice down, so it wouldn't carry. "You appear to be better suited to adventuring than your brother."

#123 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:13 PM

Demiriz walked with Elizabeth, moving nearly silently despite his large bulk. When they reached the gangplank, he quietly boarded the vessel and waited for the others. This was when it was most dangerous, someone could come up at any moment and catch them, so they had to move quickly and quietly.

Jhanell moved quickly and as silently as any feline as they crept closer to the ship and boarded. She was quite impressed by how quietly Demiriz could move, despite being twice her size, and the others as well, all of them knew the art of stealth to some degree. She stepped to the side once she boarded, to give the others room to board as well. So far, so good, they had not been detected.

Aveline moved quickly and as silently as she could when they crept over to the gangplank, and she boarded with the others, walking past Nick, who was keeping a lookout. She stood with the others while they waited for Damien and Jhandra to join them. So far, they'd been lucky, no one had heard them sneak aboard, nor had anyone come up to check on the guards. She supposed that they had become complacent in their hiding place and the ones below decided to stay dry and comfy below, until it was time to change shifts.

Letha grumbled as she listened to the slightly rowdy card game going on in the common area of the ship. She was sitting in her quarters, making up another batch of sedative to feed to that hornhead they'd captured. She'd had to feed it sedative to keep it from breaking its shackles and escaping as it was their most prized captive, even though she killed four of the group who caught her and the fifth was now crippled for life. She'd dubbed the thing 'hornhead' after that idiot got himself skewered on one when he decided jumping on her back with the sedative dart was a good idea, it was his last idea as well. Letha was putting the sedative in the food and water that it was being fed and the beast had no choice but to eat or drink it, since she received no other supplements. They wanted her to be in the best shape she could be in when she went on the auction block and they knew that she would bring them a very high price as she was a one of a kind since no other slave groups had ever managed to catch one.

#124 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Arlene stretched her legs out comfortable in front of her and took a sip of water as she considered Tevyn's question. "I was born in Gebor, one of the big cities in Dhaska, the middle child of three. Of the three of us I was always the active and wild one. I got into mischief quite frequently until I took up sports in junior school." She smiled a bit as she remembered the relief her parents must have experienced when she finally learnt to channel her energy into a productive activity.

"Even then I wasn't completely satisfied until I began my first year of medical university and joined its dual wield fencing team. I guess I've always had it in me. Kylen is smart and has good business sense but he joined the book club at uni." She explained, trying to articulate the difference between them. "Thing is, our family is quite poor. We have enough to get by on but not much more than that. Kylen came out here and set up a clinic because Ariqua is where the money is to be made. I followed him out here a few months later at his request." Arlene tapped her fingers idly against the side of the flask she was holding.

"I'm not sure why the government offered him the Explorer job out here. I suppose because he's the oldest sibling." She mused. "I think it'll suit me perfectly. Being a physician is what I'm trained to do and it fits in naturally with my psionic healing abilities. There are few things that make me feel better than when I'm able to help someone, either by protecting them or by healing them or taking away their pain." Arlene chuckled wryly. "And I'd better stop now. You ask one simple thing and I just ramble on."

Edited by Mikoto, 17 March 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#125 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Tevyn smiled as he listened to Arlene talk about herself. As he thought, she was more suited to adventuring than Kylen was. He was just glad she had learned to channel her energy into weapons training. When she stopped and joked about rambling, he chuckled.

"I don't mind, I'm a good listener, and I did ask." He said. "I suppose I could return the favor. I was born in Haleiwa and I'm the oldest of three. I have two younger sisters. My mother is Dhaskan and my father is obviously Salaran. He has a seafood shop in Haleiwa that he opened shortly after the city was built and that's where they met. I helped him with the fishing and mother and my sisters run the shop. They sell what they catch and we didn't keep for ourselves, as well as the catches from other fishermen. We always had food on the table and a roof over our heads, but we're not exactly rich either. I was hired on to help Elizabeth map the Salaran islands and stayed on once that was done. The only training I had in weapons was what my father taught me, the bow, spear, and knives. Elizabeth has been teaching me how to shoot guns, but I prefer my bow most of the time. Now, I better stop before I bore you with my rambling."

#126 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Elizabeth waited tensely while the rest of the Explorers made it across the gangplank onto the slaver ship. Nick was the last one to board. Then she turned and walked across the deck at a steady, cautious pace until she reached the set of steps that would lead them belowdecks. It could get tricky here as the interior of the vessel would be fairly narrow. However she knew who she wanted with her. "Demiriz, Jhandra you're with me. The rest of you follow as closely behind her as space allows." She instructed, keeping her voice low and relaxed. With Demiriz and Jhandra at her side she began easing her way down the wooden steps that led belowdecks. She wasn't surprised to see that the corridor housed the senior crew quarters to either side.

Further below would be the common crew quarters. Very cautiously Elizabeth nudged each door open as they went past with her revolver held at the ready but so far there were no crewmembers to be found. Cautiously she and her Explorers cleared the first deck and made their way down to the second deck. It was then Elizabeth caught the sounds of sounds of people talking. It sounded slightly rowdy and she guessed the slaver-pirates were playing some kind of game in the common room. Slowly and cautiously she eased her way to the door and nodded to herself.

Some of the crew at least were definitely behind that door. She looked back at her Explorers and whispered so that she couldn't be heard by the slavers beyond the door. "Ok, on my signal Demiriz will kick down the door. We'll open fire with our ranged weapons and take out as many of the slavers as we can, then storm the rest." She counted several nods and readied her revolver, aiming it at the door. Then she nodded to Demiriz. "Now!" She instructed, preparing to fire on the unsuspecting slavers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick had remained alert as the other Explorers boarded the slaver vessel before finally boarding himself. He continued to remain at the back of the group, watching out for any trouble that might sneak up behind them as they went belowdecks and searched the first deck before going down to the second. The slavers were right where he thought they would be-in the common area of the ship passing the time however they could. He eased close enough to Elizabeth to hear her whispered plan and nodded to acknowledge that he understood. Then he took up a position roughly in the middle of the corridor and waited with his revolver at the ready for Demiriz to kick open the door after Elizabeth gave the signal to attack.

Edited by Mikoto, 17 March 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#127 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

Demiriz was very tense as they searched the decks until they found a room that, from the noise inside, housed the largest group of pirates. Once everyone had spread out and Elizabeth told him to kick in the door, he stepped back just a bit to give himself some more room, then he raised his foot and smashed it as hard as he could at the spot where the door latched, splintering it and sending the door crashing inwards. As soon as he did that, he bounded inside and out of the way of the others' weapons and grabbed one of the startled pirates from behind, lifted him up and viciously twisted his head until his neck snapped.

Aveline had never been so tense in her life as she was as they sneaked around the pirate vessel, looking for the skeleton crew that was supposed to be aboard. They didn't find anything significant until they stopped by a closed room, probably the common room if the ship had the same layout as Voyager. There was a lot of rowdy noise going on inside, which explained why they didn't hear anything when their guards were taken out. She positioned herself so that she could get inside quickly once the door was kicked in by Demiriz, and when he sent the door crashing inwards with one kick, she slipped inside and turned the other way, away from Demiriz. She then proceeded to shoot at the pirates, who were scrambling to get out of their chairs and reach their weapons.

Jhanell followed the others, moving silently as they searched the ship, and when they found a room full of rowdy-sounding pirates. After Demiriz kicked in the door, she bounded in behind Aveline and proceeded to maul the first pirate she came upon while he was still trying to figure out what was going on.

From her cabin just down the corridor from the common area, Letha's head snapped up in alarm when she heard the sound of a door being kicked in, then the sounds of gunshots and scuffling. She scrambled to her feet with the concoction she'd just mixed up for the hornhead still in her hands, and eased over to her door and listened, being very cautious and wary as she pressed her ear to the door.

#128 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Arlene chuckled as Tevyn turned her comment back on her. She hadn't minded listening to him-the way he had been raised and the environment he had been raised in was so very different to hers. "So, your Dad does the fishing and so do you? Do your sisters not fish for themselves?" She asked curiously. "I mean, do you intend to go back to the family business when your Dad becomes to old to do it because if your sisters can't fish then the business may shut down." She couldn't imagine being less capable than her two brothers. Kylen had book and business smarts, she had an adventuring spirit and their younger brother was studying engineering. Those new-fangled flying balloon-airship things he'd written about in a recent letter. There was no judgement in Arlene's eyes or face as se regarded him. Only curiousity.

#129 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Elizabeth held off in firing her revolver long enough for Demiriz, Nick and whoever else wanted to get into the common room to do so. She settled herself by the doorframe, picking off the confused slaver-pirates who scrambled either to get to their weapons or draw them and organise themselves to fight off the Explorers. Between shots with her revolver, Elizabeth summoned purple coloured psionic fireballs, bolts of lightening and ice spears from her spare hand and flicked the elemental weapon at some of the slavers. After losing roughly half their number in the surprise attack though the slavers began getting their act together. One jumped at her bearing a double-handed axe and swung it in her direction. Instinctively Elizabeth formed a psionic shield that at least deflected the blow long enough for her to step out of it's path. Then she followed up with a point blank shot to the head with her revolver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick followed Demiriz into the common room-then stepped aside and planted his back against the rough wood of the common room wall and began using his revolver in a similar style to Elizabeth in picking off slavers. He grinned a bit when half the slavers were felled before they really knew what was happening. Two of them came at him so he shot one of them in the chest and used his revolver to pistol-whip the second in the head. Then Nick holstered his revolver and drew his cutlass even as another slaver armed with one of his own charged in his direction. Their blades met with a clash of metal and a swordfight began.

#130 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

"Yes they do fish for themselves." Tevyn answered Arlene's question about his sisters. "They'll take turns helping Father with the fishing, and in the last communication I got they were talking about opening up a hatchery, a fish farm, with the most popular fish varieties. Also, they have contracts with many of the other local fishermen in the area who would rather someone else sell their fish for them. It's been really good for them. As for me. I'm not sure if I'll go back home or open up my own fishery around Niobia yet." He leaned back against the tree and sipped his water as he heard the faint sounds of gunfire from the direction of the ship. "Looks like the fight's started." He said.

#131 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

When Aveline ran out of bullets in her gun, she used it to pistol whip the next pirate who came at her, plus she also viciously attacked his mind with her telepathy, sending him to the deck screaming and holding his head. That gave her enough time to pull out her shortsword to finish him off. When she looked around, she estimated about half of the pirates in the room were dead, or nearly dead and she couldn't help but be proud of that. However, the noise they were making was probably going to attract the attention of anyone who wasn't in the room, so she positioned herself so she could see the door while she engaged the next pirate.

Demiriz did his part in taking out about half the pirates before they were able to scramble themselves into some kind of order. When the next pirate came at him with his cutlass waving wildly, Demiriz grabbed his wrist before the cutlass could make contact with him, and with one twist he broke the pirate's wrist. Then, while the pirate was screaming, he grabbed his head and twisted it, silencing the screams. He then turned to see where the next one was coming from and smiled as everyone seemed to be taking out their share of the pirates.

Jhanell had no need of swords in the enclosed room as she fought the pirates. Snarling and growling, she simply bit and clawed her way through two more pirates before they even knew what hit them. As the pirate's numbers dwindled, she kept glancing at the door to make sure that they wouldn't be taken by surprise by any pirates who had been roused by the noise of battle.

Letha slowly eased the door to her quarters open and crept down the corridor towards the common room, and when she reached it, she dropped what she was carrying and backed up, hitting the hull of the ship in surprise. There was a group of people in there, slaughtering the crew that was left behind to guard the ship. Clearly the four guards topside were dead, otherwise an alarm would have been raised much sooner. All she could do then was stare wide-eyed as more of the crew fell to the strangers.

#132 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Jhandra had slipped in through the kicked-down door opposite of Demiriz and commenced taking out whoever she could on that side of the room. Weapons firing then swinging felled several of the slaver pirates, while the rest of the group did the same. She was barely injured as she used her psionic shield to block hits and swings.

#133 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Damien had remained on deck to keep watch. When he was the group heading down in the ship's decks, he reasoned there would be enough of them in such close quarters to deal with any slavers left onboard. It would do them no good if the rest of the crew returned while they were down below. He swung himself up into the rigging, as he did many times onboard the Voyager.

He listened carefully for the sounds of the battle below, his enhanced hearing picking up the progression of sounds.

#134 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,607 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Following the killing of the guards on the deck of the pirate ship, The Professor joined the boarding party, along with Eru.  "After you, my dear," he said when they got to the boarding plank. "You're bigger and stronger than I. Well, not at the moment, but you have the option. Mmm. Smell that ocean air. I haven't smelled the ocean in seven years."  

"Twenty four years," corrected Eru as she passed him up the gangplank.  Creeping carefully, she followed the group aboard and down the steps to below decks. At the top of the steps, she lost her balance as the ship swayed on a wave and teetered precariously, about to go plunging down, bringing everyone else with her. Arjhay grabbed her by the waist just in time and she made it below without incident. When Demiriz kicked down the door, there was a hurricane of arrows and bullets, taking out half the pirates-- but the remaining cutthroats rallied and began to fight back.  Eru quickly slipped out of her clothes and changed into her Werewolf self, bumping her head loudly on the ceiling. "Ouch," she said as she crouched down and loped forward into the common room to join the fray.

#135 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

When her gun ran out of bullets, Elizabeth found she didn't have time to reload and so she stepped into the common room and focused on helping fell the remainder of the slavers with the odd ice spear here and fireball there. It was then she noticed one of the rare female slavers of the crew who was staring wide-eyed at the destruction in front of her. Swiftly Elizabeth crossed the room avoiding the last few slaves fighting for their lives and drew her machete, holding it with the blade pointing towards the female slaver's heart.

"The smart thing to do would be surrender." She told the female slaver. "If you cooperate, you won't be harmed." She added. And Elizabeth meant what she said. A live prisoner would be able to provide them with potentially valuable intelligence about any other slavers that might be out there. And, if she did cooperate Elizabeth would take her back to Niobia and turn her over to the City Guard where she sentence would likely be either a prison sentence or a forced stint in the mines. She wasn't in the habit of killing unarmed prisoners.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick was mildly impressed at the slaver's skill with a blade but in the end he was no match for him and ran him through. As he turned with his cutlass held ready he could see that the vast majority of the slavers had been slaughtered with only a remaining few battling the crew but they looked like they had things well in hand. The only one who wasn't fighting was Elizabeth who was holding a female slaver at machetepoint. He approved of her decision to capture one alive. But Nick quickly returned his attention to the final few fights left in the common room in case one of the Explorers did need help finishing off their slaver. Automatically his eyes sought out Aveline first. He had no doubt she was a very capable fighter and had seen her in battle many times. Nevertheless he turned to her first.

#136 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Arlene nodded, pleased that Tevyn's family was doing well and that he'd have no particular reason to leave the Voyager crew anytime soon. She allowed herself to study him again in more detail as she answered. "Good to know. And it's hard to predict what the future holds. All I know is that Kylen was right in that there is opportunity for great wealth here if you know what you're doing." She liked to think she knew what she was doing. Elizabeth and the Dhaskan government were paying well for individuals that could carve out new territory in their name and she had every intention of taking her own slice of the profits to be made in Ariqua. Arlene put her hand on one of her blades as she heard the sounds of fighting and gunshots come from the slaver ship. "We'd best stay alert then." She cautioned. "If there are any slavers patrolling nearby the sounds of fighting will surely draw them towards the ship."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arlene's prediction was accurate as one small raiding party hadn't felt much like foraging the jungle for Zapiyan hunters or anyone that crossed their path today and had remained close to the ship, pretending to search for slaves. When they heard the sounds of fighting, they emerged from the jungle and spotted Damien on the rigging...

#137 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Aveline finished off the slaver she was fighting with, then turned to look around and see if anyone else needed help, but everyone seemed to have things well in hand, then she spotted Nick looking at her and she grinned at him before regarding the prisoner that Elizabeth was holding her machete to. She walked over to Nick as the last of the slavers in the room fell to superior fighting skills and gave him a hug. "I'm fine, just a little tired." She told him as she watched to see what the female would do.

Letha raised her hands and pressed her back against the ship's hull when a female from the group pointed a machete at her heart. She had taken this assignment purely out of self-preservation since she didn't have the money to pay off her father's debt and self-preservation kicked in again. "I'm no threat." She assured the female. She wasn't a fighter and she wasn't about to die for that no-good captain or his cargo. If it wasn't for that debt he was determined to collect she wouldn't even be here. She watched the female anxiously and kept her hands where they could be seen. "What are you going to do with me?" She asked, very uneasy as she looked around at the others of the group, who were regarding her.

Demiriz dispatched the last pirate, and then turned when he heard Elizabeth speaking to someone. He saw her holding a machete to a woman who was even smaller than she was, and the woman wasn't putting up a fight at all. He walked over to Elizabeth to give her backup just in case the female was trying to fool her into lowering her weapon.

With one last snarl and slash, Jhanell watched her latest opponent drop in a heap of bloody lacerations. She then turned and growled at the female who was being held at bay with a machete being wielded by Elizabeth. It seemed that the leader of the group wanted her alive, so Jhanell stood by and waited since Demiriz had already gone to back her up.

#138 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

"Yeah, there is great opportunity here if you know what to look for." Tevyn said to Arlene. "Some businesses are already flourishing and others are just waiting to be taken. I'd actually like to expand the family business by opening up a seafood market/fish farm out here." He then pulled his bow and glanced around when Arlene put her hand on her own weapons. She was right, you never knew what to expect out here and it was a bad idea to get too complacent.

#139 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Elizabeth watched the female slaver closely and watched the anxiety and a self-preservation instinct kick in inside her eyes. In response she lowered her machete a little to give the woman some room although it was still close enough to strike quickly if she had to. "We could use information since we're shutting this slaving operation down. Practical things like how many more slavers are aboard this ship, how many are in the jungle and when they might be expected to return. If there are other slaver ships out there." She explained briefly. Any information the female slaver gave would have to be treated with caution for Elizabeth was aware that the slaver may well lie just to stay alive. Nevertheless she decided to give positive encouragement a try.

"Reliable and accurate information will guarantee you won't be harmed or ill-treated by us although I'd have to lock you up for the duration of our mission to keep you out of trouble and to ensure you won't lead us into a trap." She doubted the female slaver would want to be stuck aboard a sinking ship for giving false or dangerous information. "At the end of the mission.... we'll talk. Honestly turning you over to the City Guard is probably the best option unless you fancy a life of exile in the jungles." Elizabeth shrugged slightly. "Not cooperating would be... inadvisable." She didn't want to go into more detail about the alternatives unless the female slaver pushed the issue. "So let's start with something simple. What's your name?" She asked.

#140 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,745 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Letha breathed just a little easier when the female backed off the machete just a bit and didn't look like she was about to run her through. The fact that they were shutting this operation down only served to make her feel even better, though she knew that she'd still have to pay for her part in it, and she was prepared to do that. They wanted to know everything they could to be able to shut them down and Letha would happily tell them anything she knew. Since they were starting with her name, she gave that. "My name is Letha Jearl." She said. "And I'll tell you everything I know."

"First. There are four more of the slavers on board, guarding the captives they already have." She began, and then told them where they could find them. "Next, there are about fourteen more out looking for more at this moment, but if you move the ship they'll be forced to either go back to Niobia or stay in the jungle, and they're not prepared for any kind of lengthy stay. There are two more ships out there, but I don't know if they have any captives or not, nor where they're at. You might try looking in the Captain's cabin, there might be something there that will give you an idea of where to look." That was all she knew since she really didn't do anything except make sedative darts and keep that hornhead from rampaging through the ship.

"Listen, I'm not even a slaver, not a willing one, anyway." She said. "I went to Niobia looking for my father. I hadn't heard from him in awhile and I was worried. When I got there, the captain found out about me and was the one to inform me of my father's death. He then told me about how much my father owed him and if I wanted to live much longer I'd pay it. I didn't have the money, so once he found out I was a healer he made a deal. I supply him with sedative darts for this outing, keep the hornhead they caught docile until they got her to the auction block and he would cancel the debt. As far as I'm concerned, you can throw them all to the slaughterfish in the cove. I'll accept whatever sentence the Arl sees fit for my part in it." She hated her part in it and could only hope that they would be lenient for what she did do.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users