#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Former senator reveals he fathered a child with daughter of another senator

http://usnews.nbcnew...er-senator?lite

... Domenici, 80, a Republican who served six terms in the Senate before retiring in 2008, and the mother of the child each released statements to the Albuquerque Journal acknowledging Domenici’s fatherhood...
The child, now grown, was identified as Adam Paul Laxalt, a lawyer in Las Vegas. His mother, Michelle Laxalt, is the daughter of Paul Laxalt, a Republican who represented Nevada in the Senate for 12 years before leaving in 1987.
Michelle Laxalt said in her statement: “One night’s mistake led to pregnancy more than 30 years ago.” She said that she raised the son as a single mother, and that Domenici had agreed to keep his fatherhood secret because of their connections to the Senate.
Domenici and Michelle Laxalt said they were releasing the information now because they thought someone else would shop it around to media outlets to damage Domenici’s reputation.

No less creepy this way.

Her statement went on to say: “Recently information has come to me that this sacred situation might be twisted, re-written out of whole cloth, and shopped to press outlets large and small in a vicious attempt to smear, hurt and diminish Pete Domenici, an honorable man, his extraordinary wife, Nancy, and other innocents.”

"Sacred"?  Really?  Perhaps if she were a temple prostitute.  The wife might be an innocent, but the senator is most certainly not.

Michelle Laxalt has been recognized as one of the most powerful lobbyists in Washington, and has appeared as a cable news pundit....

Now we come to the crux of the matter.  Her career.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Remember when Bill Clinton didn't knock up an intern?  Guess who voted to convict him in that tawdry impeachment trial...
Former Republican senator knocks up fellow senator's daughter. But just the one time!

http://www.dailykos....st-the-one-time

... See, while Domenici was keeping his dirty little secret out of respect for his baby mama and his out-of-wedlock offspring, he was whistling a slightly different tune in public. Like when he voted to convict President Bill Clinton in the Senate impeachment trial because, among other things, "[t]ruthfulness is the first pillar of good character in the Character Counts program of which I have been part of establishing in New Mexico." Also, something about the president's "tawdry" sex acts, although it totally wasn't about that at all.
In fact, when he was a senator, Domenici was perfectly happy to invade the privacy of others and legislate what happens between consenting adults. Like all his votes to discriminate against gays and lesbians. Like all his votes to regulate vaginas—because while he believed that the woman he impregnated had a right to privacy, that right does not extend to women he didn't impregnate.
But at least, classy guy that he is, Domenici has finally come clean—decades later—to his family, and he's very sorry:

I deeply regret this and am very sorry for my behavior. I hope New Mexicans will view that my accomplishments for my beloved state outweigh my personal transgression. I only ask that everyone respect the privacy of my family and the son’s mother. None of them wanted this publicity, none of them deserve the hurt of this revelation, and only I should bear the brunt of this matter.

Yeah. Sure is awful when people think what happens in your private life is somehow their business, isn't it?

Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Ugh.  What a clod.  I always hated him.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#4 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I tend not to pay much attention to what politicians do in their personal lives as long as it's not illegal or flagrantly hypocritical.  This guy has done plenty of political stuff I disagree with, so I'll continue to dislike him mostly on those grounds.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#5 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Actually I feel sorry for the son.

And wonder if he ever knew before now or had no idea.  Either way not cool to have your parents disrupt your life with their drama.

People who go stomping and  screaming about others immorality and 'sins'etc tend to be the ones who have their own skeletons to hide.  Or that's how it seems at least.  Not the first time and won't be the last.  Pretty bad when its happened so often that I'm no longer really ever surprised or care.

Only care about  the innocents--like his wife and kids and their son together---who get their names and faces thrown out there as collateral damage as they are harassed by the media.  Because you know that there is some reporter banging on their doors, wanting an interview. :grr:

Edited by Tricia, 20 February 2013 - 10:17 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

I gave up not caring about politicians' personal lives when I realized how much damage they were doing to mine.

I wonder if this came out because they knew that some enterprising journalist would look at Domenici, realizing that stone casters had the most promising skeletons.   :think:
Posted Image

#7 cl05

cl05
  • Islander
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Another fine upstanding public servant. Add another hypocrite to the list.

#8 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

View Postcl05, on 21 February 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Another fine upstanding public servant. Add another hypocrite to the list.

Yep, and a long list it is getting to be.

Heh, typo of typos, as I was typing "to" it came out "typo."   :freakoutnonny:  :howling:  :D
Posted Image

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostNonny, on 21 February 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

I gave up not caring about politicians' personal lives when I realized how much damage they were doing to mine.

I wonder if this came out because they knew that some enterprising journalist would look at Domenici, realizing that stone casters had the most promising skeletons.   :think:

I'm basing my theory on this quote from the OP--

Her statement went on to say: “Recently information has come to me that this sacred situation might be twisted, re-written out of whole cloth, and shopped to press outlets large and small in a vicious attempt to smear, hurt and diminish Pete Domenici, an honorable man, his extraordinary wife, Nancy, and other innocents"

That sounds to me like this 'announcement'/confession was done because somebody was talking or about to.  Whether it was somebody in the know or someone who was snooping around ...who knows?  A biographer or political rival, maybe?  Anyone who could profit in some way from uncovering the secret or suing it for profit or blackmail.

Anyhoo, this sudden confession is an attempt to control that news, to try to regain the advantage because "look we did the right thing and WE told the truth" Nevermind that they kept the secret for 30 years.

Again, I feel sorry for his wife, the kids he had with the wife.....but mostly for the child, now grown man, these two had together who has to deal with this (still wondering if he ever knew or they lied to him too)

Edited by Tricia, 21 February 2013 - 04:48 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hypocrisy, GOP, Senate, lobbyist

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users