Marvel DC Wonder Woman

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=43965

I read this article earlier. In it, the author tries to see which female hero at Marvel has the same kind of recognition as Wonder Woman and could be the female hero that they push to a wider audience. He ended up with Storm. It just made me think about who I would like to see Marvel give the spotlight to and who people here would like to see more of. You have to admit, DC does seem to have more widely recognized female heroes and more female led books out than Marvel does.

For me, I want Marvel to give Captain/Ms. Marvel a push. I think out of all of their female characters, she's the one who can really stand apart and support her own movie or TV show. Her origin isn't really dependent on other characters or teams. While she shares a name with a male hero, she isn't defined by that hero. She's also had other codenames that she could use though I like calling her Captain Marvel. She also earns the title captain since she is in the military and flew fighter jets before she became a superhero.

I think her current costume could be easily translated to live action. Maybe a new hair style, though. While I like her old costume better this one is much better because she's fully clothed and it's a lot more practical.

Posted Image

I know there are other Marvel heroes that have more exposure than Carol Danvers, but I think she could be the female icon Marvel needs. What about everyone else? Which female hero would you like to see get a bigger spotlight?
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Carol Danver's has always been Marvel's equivalent to Wonder Woman, imo.  Her current series, Captain Marvel, is on my pull list.  I think Marvel has strong female characters.  Storm is probably the most recognizable though.  Rachel Summers/Grey is my favorite character period.  Jean Grey as Phoenix is probably on par with Storm in terms of comics fans knowing who she is. Monica Rambeau/Captain Marvel/Photon/Pulsar is another strong character who could hold her own in a book.  Marvel currently has the Fearless Defenders comic, I bought the first issue last month.  It has Brunhilde(sp?)/Valkyrie and Misty Knight as it's stars.  Also Marvel has an all female X-Men book coming out that's already on my pull list.  Marvel has actually been making an effort to hire more female creators from what I've read.  The women have always kicked butt.

Outside of Wonder Woman and Supergirl, I think it would probably be just as hard for non comicbook fans to name a bunch of DCs female characters as well.

Edited to add: Electra had her own series in the 1990s.  And the Black Widow has had so many limited series she could hold an ongoing.  Rogue had two limited series and one ongoing.  Kitty Pryde has had a couple of limited series and an ongoing, she's probably the character people could identify with the most because she had a normal life before she found out she was a mutant. Mystique had her own ongoing series a few years ago.  Psylocke is another character who could probably carry a titled if it was written well.

Edited by Bobby, 27 February 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Outside of Wonder Woman and Supergirl, I think it would probably be just as hard for non comicbook fans to name a bunch of DCs female characters as well.

Well, I would say Batgirl has a god chance of being named. It just seems like DC has made more of an effort to spotlight their female heroes than Marvel. At least until recently, as you pointed out. I had read about the Fearless Defenders just wasn't sure if it was any good.

Monica Rambeau/Captain Marvel/Photon/Pulsar is another strong character who could hold her own in a book.

Agreed. I liked that she guest starred in a few issues of Captain Marvel. if she can't get her own book hopefully she can become a recurring character in that book.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Only Susan Richards or Jean Grey would come close to my mind, there's really no Marvel equal to Wonder Woman though.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 27 February 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Well, I would say Batgirl has a god chance of being named. It just seems like DC has made more of an effort to spotlight their female heroes than Marvel. At least until recently, as you pointed out. I had read about the Fearless Defenders just wasn't sure if it was any good.

Monica Rambeau/Captain Marvel/Photon/Pulsar is another strong character who could hold her own in a book.

Agreed. I liked that she guest starred in a few issues of Captain Marvel. if she can't get her own book hopefully she can become a recurring character in that book.

I didn't read comics in the 1980s, but I have bought back issues of the Avengers from around the time Monica Rambeau showed up and she was definitely a Mary Sue.  She had the answer for everything.  I enjoy Stern's writing and he did balance it out some but I think that is a big part of the reason the character was never brought back.  I have two of her one shot's from the late 1980s and she was okay in them, I don't know if they were testing the waters for an ongoing.   She was in that Nextwave title, I never bought it but had read that it wasn't in continuity, then I read it was because she has is wearing the same costume that she had in that series now.

Edited by Bobby, 27 February 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#6 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Mark: I think Marvel's Wonder Woman should be, Lindsey Lohan. I've always wondered about her. :nod:

Sorry for interrupting the thread with my warped humor...please continue.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#7 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Storm, Pheonix (love the enhanced and unstable version of Jean Grey) or Rogue (although I wasn't fond of the portrayal in the movies.

As to Wonder Woman, don't hate me but I have never been a fan.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think part of the problem is that many of Marvel's strong female characters are tied to the X-Men, which automatically makes them part of an ensemble, rather than a solo hero who could carry their own movie/TV series (like Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, et al). Plus there's that whole thing about the X-Men's film rights not being compatible with the Marvel cinematic universe.

And DC's misogynistic editorial decisions aside, they actually do have a lot of (potentially) strong female "headliners" --even the ones that started out on team books have enough personal backstory that they can work even without the team (imagine [a well-written] Starfire heading an alien invasion story, or Raven doing a superhero take on a supernatural horror movie).
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#9 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,602 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Black Widow.  Definitely.

Most of Marvel's other heroines either are almost inextricably tied to teams; or else they partake in standard marvel heroisms against standard marvel villains.

Black Widow - with her ties with the world of espionage, could open up a new window on the Marvel Universe, and she has the conceptual flexibility to either feature in solo assignments, or as part of a SHIELD Op, or be partnered up with someone.  She also has the added bonus that she is as much a femme fatale (relying on her wiles, wits, and ruthlessness) as a kick @$$ heroine.

OK, Electra has her whole ninja-verse thingy going on, but I think they could do more with Black Widow.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#10 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I forgot She-Hulk.  So long as she doesn't look into the camera and start talking to the audience, although that might be fun.

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Marvel has no equivalent to Wonder Woman.  Wonder Woman was a standalone character with a unique origin who was later incorporated into DC continuity-- just like Superman, Batman et al.  The only time Marvel had a character like that, as far as I can remember, was The Cat, back in the early 70s.  And when was the last time Marvel even introduced a new character with a standalone origin?  I'm a little out of the loop, but I imagine that it's been decades. But, in order for them to have their own Wonder Woman, that is what they would have to do-- actually become the House of Ideas again.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#12 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

There is no heroine at Marvel or anywhere else in the comics world who comes close to the cultural stature of Wonder Woman.  I think DWF is right that Marvel's most important heroine is probably Susan Richards (with Jean Grey/Phoenix a distant second).  

Their most important female character has to be Aunt May, though, right?

As far as movies go, it seems like Scarlett Johansson is their female lead, like they're building her up to the point where they can spin her off into a solo picture and reasonably expect it to be a big hit.  She's doing Cap 2 this spring - where we will presumably learn more about her backstory.  That will be the third in her contract.  Avengers 2 is the fourth - and they'll want her for 3.  Which leaves one movie in the deal unaccounted for.  Could there be a Black Widow solo pic (co-starring Jeremy Renner and Samuel L Jackson) pencilled in between Avengers 2 and 3...?  (After which, pricey renegotiations?)

I assume the next major Marvel heroine they introduce in the movies will be The Wasp (in Edgar Wright's Ant-Man and/or Avengers 2), though Guardians of the Galaxy must have some kind of female lead.

Edited by BklnScott, 01 March 2013 - 12:03 AM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#13 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 28 February 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

I assume the next major Marvel heroine they introduce in the movies will be The Wasp (in Edgar Wright's Ant-Man and/or Avengers 2), though Guardians of the Galaxy must have some kind of female lead.

That'll be Gamora and it's been rumored that Adrianne Palicki is up for the part.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#14 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

How did the Elektra movie do at the box office?  She had a spin off movie from the Daredevil film.  

I could see a Carol Danvers movie working, aliens show up to the planet and since she's in the Air Force Intelligence division she gets sent out to investigate.  Gets exposed to the Psyche Magnatron and get's her powers.  She can even take the name Captain Marvel in honor of the alien hero.  Her origin story still holds up better than most.   I have some of the issues of her first series from the 1970s and it was definitely pro-girl/woman empowerment.  She was the editor of Woman magazine working for J. Johnah Jameson.  Although that outfit with her a$$ hanging out kind of undermined the message.  

Aunt May?  Why?  I get that she was Peter's rock but what specifically makes her some standout?  That she was a woman who raised her nephew after her husband died?  She's the everyday hero that makes the world a better place on the micro-level?

Whenever I think of Wonder Woman, I think of her invisible airplane and her twirling around.

Edited to add:  I enjoyed the movie Barbwire!  And no, it wasn't for Pamela Anderson's attributes, I'm immune to those.

Edited by Bobby, 01 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#15 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostBobby, on 01 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

How did the Elektra movie do at the box office?  She had a spin off movie from the Daredevil film.

http://en.wikipedia....ktra_(2005_film)#Box_office_performance

Domestically the total gross was $24,409,722, at the time the lowest for a movie featuring a Marvel Comics character since Howard the Duck.

That pretty much says it all. I actually kinda liked the film, though.

Aunt May?  Why?  I get that she was Peter's rock but what specifically makes her some standout?  That she was a woman who raised her nephew after her husband died?  She's the everyday hero that makes the world a better place on the micro-level?

I took Scott's statement to be more about the character's prominence and familiarity to filmgoing audiences.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#16 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostBobby, on 01 March 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

I could see a Carol Danvers movie working, aliens show up to the planet and since she's in the Air Force Intelligence division she gets sent out to investigate.  Gets exposed to the Psyche Magnatron and get's her powers.  She can even take the name Captain Marvel in honor of the alien hero.  Her origin story still holds up better than most.

I could see them doing Mar-Vell if Guardians is a hit... but they could never call him that.  I always thought if Danvers showed up, it would be as an Air Force officer in an Iron Man movie...  Rhodey's new boss or whatever... who at some point gets exposed to - well, whatever it was, I can never keep it straight with her.  But that would be a good, organic way in for her - through the Iron Man pictures' Air Force element.

I have some of the issues of her first series from the 1970s and it was definitely pro-girl/woman empowerment.  She was the editor of Woman magazine working for J. Johnah Jameson.

That's really funny - I never knew that.  Gloria Steinem as a superhero is brilliant - then add J Jonah Jameson as her boss.  Amazing.  I might have to check on the iPad to see if any of those issues are available for download.  

(Wait - was that the premise of 30 Rock?)

Aunt May?  Why?  I get that she was Peter's rock but what specifically makes her some standout?  That she was a woman who raised her nephew after her husband died?  She's the everyday hero that makes the world a better place on the micro-level?  Whenever I think of Wonder Woman, I think of her invisible airplane and her twirling around.

Those are good points.  I just meant as a character, not necessarily as a hero, but it's true - Aunt May is definitely a heroic character, too.  I was thinking less about her specific qualities and more about her stature in the culture.  The same way everyone knows who Wonder Woman is, pretty much everyone knows who Aunt May is - I wouldn't say she has WW's stature, but I do think Peter Parker's poor old widowed aunt is an iconic figure in pop culture.  Probably the only female character Marvel has that you can say that about.  

I think there could be a terrific Wonder Woman movie if it's done right.  Definitely no invisible planes.

Edited by BklnScott, 01 March 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#17 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 01 March 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

I could see them doing Mar-Vell if Guardians is a hit... but they could never call him that.

In the recent Avengers animated series, they pronounced his name somewhat like "Mar-Vale" to make it sound more "alien."

I always thought if Danvers showed up, it would be as an Air Force officer in an Iron Man movie...  Rhodey's new boss or whatever... who at some point gets exposed to - well, whatever it was, I can never keep it straight with her.  But that would be a good, organic way in for her - through the Iron Man pictures' Air Force element.

Nice idea.

Those are good points.  I just meant as a character, not necessarily as a hero, but it's true - Aunt May is definitely a heroic character, too.  I was thinking less about her specific qualities and more about her stature in the culture.  The same way everyone knows who Wonder Woman is, pretty much everyone knows who Aunt May is - I wouldn't say she has WW's stature, but I do think Peter Parker's poor old widowed aunt is an iconic figure in pop culture.  Probably the only female character Marvel has that you can say that about.

And I bet Wonder Woman doesn't know how to make wheatcakes.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#18 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think there could be a terrific Wonder Woman movie if it's done right.  Definitely no invisible planes.
This is the 21st century. We already have "invisible (to radar)" planes.

Factor in that Themiscyra is an island with access to advanced technology (either via Atlantis, or by back-engineering whatever means the Gods used to make the island invisible in the first place --and possibly by back-engineering/upgrading Steve Trevor's jet, if they use that origin), a Star Trek style cloaking device is not out of the realm of possibility.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#19 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,602 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Heh ... the invisible jet, yeah, artists had trouble with that one since they kept on drawing a transparent jet ;)

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#20 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 02 March 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

This is the 21st century. We already have "invisible (to radar)" planes.

Factor in that Themiscyra is an island with access to advanced technology (either via Atlantis, or by back-engineering whatever means the Gods used to make the island invisible in the first place --and possibly by back-engineering/upgrading Steve Trevor's jet, if they use that origin), a Star Trek style cloaking device is not out of the realm of possibility.

I feel like for any version of WW, the creators have got to make a choice of how close they want to associate themselves with Greek mythology.  Are these sci-fi "amazons" with Purple Rays and Invisible Jets and some nebulous suggestion that they descend from Greek antiquity, as they are often portrayed, or are they THE Amazons of Greek mytho-history, made immortal and secreted away to a hidden island paradise where they have kept an ancient culture alive for the past 2,500 years?  Does WW's mother just happen to be called Queen Hippolyte or is she the actual figure who fought Herakles and Theseus and features in Shakespeare?  This is the thing that makes WW unique among her peers (Batman, Superman) - her modern mythology has a heroic literary lineage spanning 3 millennia.  The modern incarnations of the character I connect with (Perez, Simone, Azzarello) invariably are the ones that acknowledge that rich legacy and try to exploit it.  

Sometimes I feel like DC/Warners thinks all of that is a burden - it might not do well in focus groups - but I think a movie that glosses over rather than embraces the connection to Greek myth will fall flat on its star spangled posterior.  No risk, no reward.

Edited by BklnScott, 02 March 2013 - 05:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marvel, DC, Wonder Woman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users