Who Is Marvel's Wonder Woman?

Marvel DC Wonder Woman

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

So the amazons must have the means not only to be wholly self-sufficient, but to preserve their liberty, probably through some mechanism whereby the island can remain hidden from the world yet preserve its resources.

I know that in some incarnations it is hidden by the gods themselves. During Infinite Crisis the gods magicked Paradise Island away because it was being attacked by OMACs. Then, after the Amazons waged war against the U.S.(don't ask), Athena(who was really Granny Goodness)brought the island back and sent Queen Hippolyta there in exile but left the island exposed. It was then attacked by an army of Neo-Nazis who were going to turn it into their own country.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#42 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostG-man, on 06 March 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

And don't forget, Archimedes was credited with creating the first death ray to use against the Romans ...  albeit, the usual depiction is using brightly polished surfaces to reflect and focus sunlight.

And the Mythbusters have debunked it three times over.

As for the Amazons and Paradise Island, I think part of the problem would be keeping the island undiscovered.  

When Wonder Woman was conceived, the world still had some unexplored corners that a person could find themselves castaway, with semi-autonomous kingdoms.  But what with trade, exploration, colonization, commercial exploitation, and global war, the concept that a habitable island state populated with beautiful women could remain free and independent of colonial powers and corporate interests becomes increasingly problematical.

So the amazons must have the means not only to be wholly self-sufficient, but to preserve their liberty, probably through some mechanism whereby the island can remain hidden from the world yet preserve its resources.

Isn't it supposed to be in the Bermuda Triangle or something?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#43 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

I think it is supposed to be hidden in the Bermuda Triangle, yes.  I can't remember a version of WW where the Amazons have to work to keep it hidden.  It was already hidden from Man's World when the gods brought them there.  That's why it functions as a promised land.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#44 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

They can manufacture invisible jets and put a force field around the island et al but they don't have supercomputers?  

Beyond the implausibility - why would they develop these things when there was no need for them?  They're a small, non-procreating population living in utopian circumstances - in an origin story where Paradise Island already has modern technology of any sort you undercut the effectiveness of the fish out of water story.   Someone like Diana should have no concept of the internal combustion engine let alone the microchip when she first comes to Man's World, a world that is fueled by those things.  That's half the fun right there.

You just nailed why I have always had issues with WW (even though as I kid I couldn't explain why). Why would they need need these technologies in the first place? In a utopian society I would expect more inward focus (the arts, philosphy etc....) Man innovated and evolved out of need. Why would WW need a invisable glider/jet? What need would technolgy serve in this situation?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostLin731, on 06 March 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

They can manufacture invisible jets and put a force field around the island et al but they don't have supercomputers?  

Beyond the implausibility - why would they develop these things when there was no need for them?  They're a small, non-procreating population living in utopian circumstances - in an origin story where Paradise Island already has modern technology of any sort you undercut the effectiveness of the fish out of water story.   Someone like Diana should have no concept of the internal combustion engine let alone the microchip when she first comes to Man's World, a world that is fueled by those things.  That's half the fun right there.

You just nailed why I have always had issues with WW (even though as I kid I couldn't explain why). Why would they need need these technologies in the first place? In a utopian society I would expect more inward focus (the arts, philosphy etc....) Man innovated and evolved out of need. Why would WW need a invisable glider/jet? What need would technolgy serve in this situation?

It was given to Wonder Woman to transport Major Trevor back to America and all it did was glide there was no technologies involved it was a slow moving glider in an era before radar was widely known and understood.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#46 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

I would say that the ability to move people through the air from point A to point B involves some fairly advanced technologies.

#47 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

To attempt to move back on topic, in the short-term, I do feel that the best option for a significant new woman player in the Marvel Universe is on television.  Marvel had AKA Jessica Jones in development at ABC a year or so back, but it failed to go to pilot.  I never got to read the script, but I didn't much care for the writer they had attached to it - Melissa Rosenberg, the screenwriter on all the Twilight pictures.  The comic it was based on, Alias by Bendis (with painted art by Maleev) was terrific.  It's a noir crime drama about a former second string Avenger turned private detective specializing in cases where both children and superpowers figure prominently.  Her series arc is a struggle to regain self-esteem and reclaim the mantle of hero after a brutal assault ended her career.  Another Marvel woman character we've been discussing, Carol Danvers, is her best friend.  Luke Cage is the male (and romantic) lead.  

I hope they take another pass at it with a better writer - it would be a good fit, generally, for ABC, and a great companion for SHIELD.  (Which obviously is going to series--at least, it would be a shock if it didn't--and given the pedigree, it will of course have some strong leading roles for women, Ming Na first and foremost.)

#48 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

^^  Alias was a great book, but I'd rather see it on cable where they don't have to deal with as much censorship.

View PostBklnScott, on 05 March 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

As far as the question of why wouldn't they develop advanced technology: I agree that they're smart, and that they should not be depicted as being primitives, but why would a small, isolated population living in utopian circumstances NEED to develop modern technology?  They're doing better than fine already.  Need is what drives innovation, no?  And often - the existence of enemies, of which the Amazons, having been delivered from their enemies, had none.  
In paradise, presumably, one cultivates the Arts & Sciences. The Amazons would need, for example, a supercomputer for their scientific pursuits. To calculate pi out to the umpteenth decimal place, to zoom in on uncharted depths of the Mandelbrot Set, to run simulations of solar system formation, to construct grand unification theories and so on.  Maybe even to make CGI movies. :D

View PostLin731, on 06 March 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

They've been around for thousands of years. There may have been other occasions when they needed to send someone to the outside world-- an invisible aircraft would sure come in handy.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#49 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

^^or in this world, the winged sandals of Hermes ...?

I don't think there's much chance of seeing a Marvel show anywhere other than ABC but crime drama tends to get away with being harder hitting on broadcast than other genres, eg Law & Order and particularly SVU, ABC's own NYPD blue, etc.

Edited by BklnScott, 07 March 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#50 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

The Winged Sandals of Hermes are speedy, but short on cargo space. :D
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marvel, DC, Wonder Woman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users