• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wierzbowski

wierzbowski
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Via Slashdot:

"Indie Kickstarter-funded short HENRi stars a sci-fi legend in a role very much like HAL-9000 — with a twist. Wired writes: 'If it sounds a little bit like 2001: The Later Years, then here's the real twist: HENRi, the ship/body, is voiced Dr. Dave Bowman himself, Keir Dullea.' In a making-of video for the film, Dullea says, 'I guess you could say the character of HENRi was a sane version of HAL.' The film itself utilizes a mixture of the old and the new — combining live-action sequences with puppetry, quarter-scale miniatures, and modern CGI. The official trailer has just been released."

Trailer: https://vimeo.com/59616764

Looks cool!

wierzbowski, out

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

From the visuals I am minded of Anne MacCaffrey's "The Ship Who Sang," but I still have to wonder at what story they are going to tell.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Sweet.  It's available on DVD for $10.  For Keir Dullea, I will blind buy this baby.  :thumbs-up:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 wierzbowski

wierzbowski
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

I haven't ordered yet, but probably will soon. I don't mind supporting an indie sci-fi effort. Trailer is effective.

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Yes, supporting independent creators is important.  And this looks genuinely good.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

wierzbowski, welcome to the Isle!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

I got this and mostly enjoyed it.  It's basically a Science Fiction short story-- pretty much of the Analog variety-- set on film.  I have a couple of quibbles with it-- there's one scene that almost makes me want to take away the Science Fiction label, which is a shame because it could have been so easily fixed.  And I'm sorry that they went with one of the most boring of contemporary cliches, the starship that looks like an abandoned factory basement.  How about a future that actually looks like the future, and not the Great Depression?  But, overall, it was a nice and touching story, and I recommend buying it.

It's also kind of amusing that the "making of" documentary is 50% longer than the film itself.  :lol:

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,595 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

^^^ I suspect it has something to do with budget, and also that they wanted to give it that long untended/unoccupied atmosphere.

As for a future looking futuristic, I hope that Hollywood will move away from the whiteness they've embraced for futuristic interior design.  One detail in the recent Total Recall was how the hover cars were either black, white, or grey; when I'd think you'd see colors still proliferate among the motoring society.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

I usually don't like the stark white look, either-- as with the grimy look, it has limited use. I prefer color and artistry.

#10 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 11 March 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

It's also kind of amusing that the "making of" documentary is 50% longer than the film itself.  :lol:

This appeals to me.   :D
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Me, as well. I love that sort of thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sciencefiction, film, scifi, robot, trailer, space, spaceship, effects, cool

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users