Federal Budget 2013 Economy Budget cuts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well, since LotS brought it up in an IC thread, and I do have an opinion on this, I've decided to begin the thread.  So, here goes.  

You can probably go anywhere and find an article so I'm not posting any links.  I believe that both the President and Congress have failed miserably to do their jobs.  Each side is only concerned with "who will get blamed" and their subsequent re-election, AND NOT with the business of government.

The President says it is the job of Congress to allocate money [and it is], and Congress decides maybe they will send a bill to the President abdicating that rule just this one time.  No one wants to get blamed for budget cuts.  Since most of the cuts are going to affect the middle class and the poor, and they all can vote, every none is doing the classic beltway shuffle pointing their fingers at "The other Guy".

All I know is not one of them is governing for the people, and they should all [including the President] be fired.  We're told we need to tighten out belts and make sacrifices so that our children and grandchildren aren't burdened with this terrible debt.  We're told our future depends on cutting spending.  Well, okay then.  I'm ready to accept those cuts if it is really needed.  But instead of cuts and some austerity, we get non-action and finger pointing.  I have no use for it any longer.  

We elect these schmucks to represent us and to govern.  We don't elect them to go to Washington and worry about re-election and by doing so become ineffective.  Regardless of what kind of ideology got them elected, they are elected to govern--not posture themselves for the latest rounds of polls and media critique and blame.  It's criminal.

The news today was not about what cuts are being made, but about who is going to be blamed more--Democrats or Republicans.  Everything each side does is to try and shift responsibility and lay low.  

We have no leadership of any kind.  They take our tax money and then refuse to do the work of the people   A pox on all their houses.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

It will never happen, but I'm for term limits for all elected officials.  Seems like all any of them do is run for re-election.   Wish there was a way to hold their paychecks until they actually do something.  Nobody pays me before I've done any work...  Grumble, grumble, grumble.
Cats will never be extinct!

#3 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

The problem is also that there is no Constitutional process for House and Senate rules.  Even if you oust the bums and elect all newbies, they walk right back into entrenched rules that are there not to govern, but for the benefit of the political parties and their respective power.  They are NOT there to enable the people's business to be done effectively.  Political parties have seen to it that our business is never addressed, and when it is, it's a bone to the masses or a re-election gimmick.

I am just sick about this sequester and how both sides have handled it.  If I could recall each and every one of them I would--All the way to the WH.

Source:

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

I guess Boehner won.  He forced the sequester by refusing to budge his sociopathic plan to drive the economy off the cliff if he didn't get his way on every tiny, bazillionare-loving, American Dream-destroying detail, and he counted on folks to either blame the President or at least portion a share of the blame to him.

The only thing I blame the Democrats for in going along with this stupid, destructive plan is that they had plenty of opportunity to consider the possibility that, while they understood that they had been saddled with something so horrible that they must avoid it, it would be the opportunity of a lifetime for the Republicans to just sit back and watch as life as we know it crashes around us, and listen to the chorus of "pox on BOTH their houses."
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

The problem we all have is that WE THE PEOPLE really don't have any power anymore. The only people that do are the corporate and special interest groups. Sure we can oust every one of their useless, partisan, self serving behinds but to what effect? The next crop are elected with the same corrupt money for favors, legalised bribery that passes for campaign funding laws. These guys vote their own raises and benefits (much like their corporate sponsors do). They write laws for the rest of us and exempt themselves and all on our dime. When it comes to serving the American people, we are just cannon fodder for those who actually pull the strings (the wealthy and powerful). I'm thinking another Boston Tea Party is longgggggggggg overdue.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

View PostLin731, on 02 March 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

The problem we all have is that WE THE PEOPLE really don't have any power anymore. The only people that do are the corporate and special interest groups. Sure we can oust every one of their useless, partisan, self serving behinds but to what effect? The next crop are elected with the same corrupt money for favors, legalised bribery that passes for campaign funding laws. These guys vote their own raises and benefits (much like their corporate sponsors do). They write laws for the rest of us and exempt themselves and all on our dime. When it comes to serving the American people, we are just cannon fodder for those who actually pull the strings (the wealthy and powerful). I'm thinking another Boston Tea Party is longgggggggggg overdue.

Amen.

Source:

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostLin731, on 02 March 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

Add another amen to that

I have tried saving my 'talking' for my elected officials this time and gotten nothing but form letters and some Attitude from them, and not just one party of the other. Pure frustration for me.

(and yes, Attitude with a capital A is not good)

Edited by Tricia, 03 March 2013 - 07:48 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Aint it always like that? the blaming? but those which blame the other side saying it's the other what does the allocations are lying; it's both: the White House Budget Office brings up the bulk of the ideas, the main list; there are some Congress spending allocations that are beside that budget but that budget is the lion share the main thing, it is the spending budget 'of the United States' because that office is in the Executive Branch and that is a main charge, duty, obligation, opportunity, and responsibility of the branch; so they come up with it, his majes___, erm, the president signs it, West Wing sends it up(?), erm, over to Congress, and they set the allocations and vote, and can vote it down, and then the big fight, the big mess...

anyway they are both involved; now we have this case of everyone saying everything while the automatic sequster thing hit, I believe that on Mar 1 at round noon Barack signed the sequester thing that came up automatically, signed it to acknowledge and actuate it; and I heard Sean Hannity all over on the blame game, but I agree with him on some things: this thing Forces some cuts, and we all agree that there must be some cuts- he said that it makes about 85-86B cuts, and that is something like 2 pct cuts, and 'Can't we all of us agree that it makes sense that we can cut two percent of our spending' and all that Out of Control stuff he's been saying? and I agree, we MUST cut some things; even if'n we don't like it, and they say Barack wanted controlled determining of the cuts but Conservative side said it must include the 'entitlement' stuff and the West Wing costs and staffs stuff, the bloated and all that, and Barack would not go for those, and the tax rise thing must be limited and Barack needed more on that side and less on the cut side, and all that the Conservative side been saying these weeks- and I agree with a lot of it. We just _Cannot_ afford all this stuff we've been doing. What with the rise in pop over 45, the rise in ALL costs of all types, not just the Medicare and Medicaid, not just the FED pensions, not just the 1700! pop of the West Wing staff with special assistants for positively everything, we just cannot afford it all anymore;

if we cannot cut 2 percent, then how can we ever cut four? and then cut six? and then get a deficit down to say 300B(?) instead of wat the hell is it now, a Trillion point three or something?? so yeah blame all we want but we just cannot afford the money beside the talk.

ps,
edit, add,
http://www.washingto...1394_story.html

so can new budget director make a difference, cajole /convice power brokers to cut some of that spending espc that west wing part?

Edited by offworlder, 03 March 2013 - 07:52 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#9 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

The pessemist in me thinks the sequester was always designed and meant to happen. If it was to be a 'nuclear option', it should have been too disasterous to the economy for *anyone* to allow it to happen. Yet everyone involved did.
Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#10 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostThe Tyrant, on 04 March 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

The pessimist in me thinks the sequester was always designed and meant to happen. If it was to be a 'nuclear option', it should have been too disastrous to the economy for *anyone* to allow it to happen. Yet everyone involved did.

See I agree with this.  I think it was all a cover for making the cuts, but dressed up in a lot of political theater.  Democrats don't want to be held responsible for this, and if you twist this around [a lot] they aren't.  Republicans actually do want budget cuts, but want some political cover for fallout.  It's their platform.  [and I say that without pointing a finger either.]  It's well known they wanted to make cuts, so there isn't any big surprise there.  

But this is all so convoluted that now each side has a spin on it to placate their bases, and try to win over the middle.  It was the most twisted political side-step I've ever seen.  Who passes a law that forces these cuts?  If you really wanted to stop it, just pass a one sentence bill that revokes the sequester.  But, that would stop the cuts.  Everyone in Washington actually wants the cuts.  They just don't want the political fallout come the 2014 mid-terms.

Our political system is so broken, and if we don't find a way to fix it, our votes will become meaningless. [If they aren't already]

Source:

#11 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Our votes are meaningless now.  We are lazy and meaningless.  We should have had our asses downtown DC letting them
know not to mess with our "entitlements" or our jobs.  But those greedy bastards are going to let us pay for every goddamned
thing.  I shouldn't even be posting about this because I'm so mad at us right now, I'm more mad at us than I am the weasels running
the country.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Federal Budget, 2013, Economy, Budget cuts

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users