• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

.. protest Hitler! and the Nazi scourge ... Nancy Wake, Australian, 'over there', making her career as
a foreign correspondent, in Paris for the Chicago Tribune after school in London, became sought-
after spy and saboteur, hunted by Gestapo, most wanted, called
the 'White Mouse' because she was so elusive, like the Pimpernel... and like him she didn't need
to be out there, over there, in peril, she chose, she did need to be by her own concience,

'Let's hear it for the girls' - this Aussie lady could have been in Victoria baking bisquits half a million
miles from the dangers, but she personifies how there are lady warriors risking limb and life,
just THINK what those nazi bastards would have done to her, and done, and over and over, with
her in their hands! it would have taken her half a year to die;
but no!
she was the Pimpernel, they seek her here they seek her there those damned nazis seek
her everywhere, she's the damned elusive...
and saved allied guys!

' Australia was represented at the ceremony by military attache Brig Bill Sowry.

"We are here today to pass on our respects, to give her the respect she deserves," Brig Sowry said.

"It's great the people of Verneix have done so much to recognise her and make this little part of France part of Australia as well."
The service was far from sombre, the BBC's Chris Bockman reports.
Mrs Wake was partial to an early morning gin-and-tonic and after her ashes were scattered, there was - as she had apparently asked for - a drinks reception at the local mayor's office, he says.
'

Cate Blanchett played her in the movie.

' She worked for British Special Operations and was parachuted into France in April 1944 before D-Day to deliver weapons to French Resistance fighters.

At one point, she was top of the Gestapo's most wanted list.

"Freedom is the only thing worth living for. While I was doing that work, I used to think it didn't matter if I died, because without freedom there was no point in living," she once said of her wartime exploits.

It was only after the liberation of France that she learned her husband, French businessman Henri Fiocca, had been tortured and killed by the Gestapo for refusing to give her up.
'
http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-21735824
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lady, warrior, spy, saboteur, wwii, wake

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users