Veronica Mars Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

http://spinoff.comic...n-funding-goal/

While it may seem as though a Veronica Mars movie is a longshot, even if funding is reached, it’s much further along than the concept might have you believe. Not only did Entertainment Weekly report the Kickstarter video as actually being shot in February 2012, this is a project that both Thomas and Bell are very much on board with, to the point that Thomas has received the blessing of the show’s rights holder, Warner Bros.

“Kristen and I met with the Warner Bros. brass, and they agreed to allow us to take this shot,” Thomas said on Kickstarter. “They were extremely cool about it, as a matter of fact. Their reaction was, if you can show there’s enough fan interest to warrant a movie, we’re on board. So this is it. This is our shot. I believe it’s the only one we’ve got. It’s nerve-wracking. I suppose we could fail in spectacular fashion, but there’s also the chance that we completely revolutionize how projects like ours can get made. No Kickstarter project ever has set a goal this high. It’s up to you, the fans, now. If the project is successful, our plan is to go into production this summer and the movie will be released in early 2014.”

I really hope this succeeds. I love Veronica Mars and want to see these characters brought to life again. $2 million is a large sum of money to aim for but it all ready has over one million with 30 days to go. I know that this doesn't guarantee a movie but it gets us that much closer.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

It should easily breach two million by today. Just astonishing. As an admirer of the show (especially its first season, nearly brilliant), I'll be keeping an eye on this. Don't have the money to contribute, myself.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#3 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

This. Is. Awesome. I really hope this succeeds as well. I love the series and still strongly believe it ended way before its time.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#4 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

I just noticed that the entire series is available for streaming at the WB website. I might have to do some marathon watching...

And as of this post, $1,935,074 raised.

Edited by Josh, 13 March 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#5 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostJosh, on 13 March 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

I just noticed that the entire series is available for streaming at the WB website. I might have to do some marathon watching...

Wow. That is pretty frakking impressive. :D And it is?! Ok, I know what I'm doing in a bit!

#6 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 13 March 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

View PostJosh, on 13 March 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Wow. That is pretty frakking impressive. :D And it is?! Ok, I know what I'm doing in a bit!

Yup! And we're a GO. $2,245,000 and still rising.

#7 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

I would not be surprised if this film generates a donated budget of $5 Million or higher.  

The show was brilliant.  Even though season 3 was a little off, it was still great television.  This movie could be the tie up the fans have wanted for the show since its cancellation.  

From what I gather, Warner Bros. have agreed to pay the advertising and distribution costs if the Kickstarter account could raise the $2 Million.  That won't be a problem at this point.  Now it's just a matter of how high can it go.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#8 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Rob Thomas, the show's creator, basically said that the movie is a go:

Hallelujah! It's a green light my friends. I love you all, but particularly the donors among you. #Veronicamars .@IMKristenBell
https://twitter.com/...004036696092674

Obviously, this isn't a done deal yet and there's no doubt a lot of technical stuff to work out, etc. But this is really good news.

http://www.whosay.co...l/photos/305233

Edited by NeuralClone, 14 March 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#9 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

Okay, when a Kickstarter campaign raises over $1 million in 4 and a half hours, there is no way this is not getting done. And the campaign goes until April 12. Who knows how high it will go.

Fans overseas are lamenting not being able to contribute. Could you imagine how much could be raised if it could go international? :freakoutnonny:

{EDIT} Just to add a speculation....how long before someone gets the bright idea to do this to bring back Firefly? :lol:

Edited by The Tyrant, 14 March 2013 - 08:53 AM.

Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,200 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostThe Tyrant, on 14 March 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

{EDIT} Just to add a speculation....how long before someone gets the bright idea to do this to bring back Firefly? :lol:

I'm sure every Firefly fan on the planet had that idea as soon as they heard this. I know I did. The tricky part is actually making it happen, given how busy the principals are with other projects right now -- Whedon with the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe, Fillion with Castle, etc. True, Whedon, Fillion, and a lot of others were able to shoot a film of Much Ado About Nothing in their spare time, but that was a really low-budget production shot at Whedon's house. Rebuilding the whole 'Verse would be a lot more expensive and time-consuming. It would be tricky to do even with Kickstarter funding. (Although I suppose they could go the Galactica: Blood and Chrome route and use virtual sets, but that wouldn't be the same.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,328 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostThe Tyrant, on 14 March 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'd be on board...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Do we really need to make everything about Firefly? I loved the series but it had its resolution in the form of Serenity. Veronica Mars didn't get that, and now it will. Joss Whedon is often brilliant but not everything is about him.

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,200 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

^It's not a zero-sum game. I'm sure there are other cult faves that could benefit from something like this -- Farscape, Stargate, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and the like. None of those, Firefly included, would take anything away from Veronica Mars, so there's no harm in wondering about what new doors might be opened if this project succeeds.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#14 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

I've both said and read this on Facebook, but these Kickstarter campaigns could be a bad precedent. Fans invest in the project but the rights holders still get all the profits. Donors would probably even have to pay admission/subscription costs to view.

I might be really keen for my favorite shop or restaurant, now in bankruptcy, to reopen, but if I and a bunch of other customers pitched in $1000 each, we'd be shareholders and expect a cut of future profits.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#15 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I find it easier to justify with lower pledges, like computer games where if I pledge $25, I still get the game and it comes out being cheaper than if I had bought it on release. In that regard, I don't look at it as an investment.

I do agree there's a great can of worms element with television and movie Kickstarters and it could be a real issue down the road but in this case, I forgave it because it's Veronica Mars, it was never going to happen otherwise and everyone involved is being down-to-earth about it. I don't think anyone has any illusions that there's going to be a lot of profit here. But you never know.

#16 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Personally, I think it sets an excellent precedent.  Everybody who donates knows what they are getting and gives of their own free will.  I gave substantially to Marc Scott Zicree's Space Command and to several of Chris Mihm's movies-- mostly all I'm getting is a free DVD (and admission to Chris's premieres if I can make them) and I'm happy with that. Why? Same reason I donate to my local theater in addition to buying season tickets.  As a writer and independent creator, I'm not only invested in the arts, but I'm invested in fellow independent creators.  I'm tired of guys in suits deciding what entertainment we get based on whether in will rake in a billion dollars on opening weekend.  Down with the establishment. Power to the people.  :cool:

As for Veronica Mars, I never saw it, but I am delighted at this outcome and happy for the fans.  And, yeah, I can think of a few shows or movies I would donate to in order to get a little more.  Firefly is certainly one.  FreakyLInks, of course. ;)  Some real Star Trek, certainly. Another Stargate movie or show would be nice. Maybe RHW could get some funding for Defender.  Sky's the limit.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#17 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

This model will only work for movies or limited series. You can't contractually hang onto cast and crew for an indefinite run without oodles more capital being available upfront.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#18 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

I am so glad that it raised enough money. More than enough, since it currently has $3,345,720 with 28 days to go. I hope they can get the majority of the cast back. At the very least, I want to see Veronica, Wallace, Keith, Logan, Mac, and Weevil. Dick I can do without since I was never a big fan of his character. It would be nice to see Duncan again. Also Piz. I'm probably in the minority, but I liked him with Veronica more than Logan.

So Joss Whedon did an interview about the possibility of a Firefly Kickstarter funded movie. http://www.buzzfeed....ter-and-firefly

ABV: So, what does this mean for Firefly?

JW: That's what everybody wants to know about. Uh, yeah. My fourth feeling when I read about [the Veronica Mars Kickstarter campaign] was a kind of dread. Because I realized the only thing that would be on everybody's mind right now. I've said repeatedly that I would love to make another movie with these guys, and that remains the case. It also remains the case that I'm booked up by Marvel for the next three years, and that I haven't even been able to get Dr. Horrible 2 off the ground because of that. So I don't even entertain the notion of entertaining the notion of doing this, and won't. Couple years from now, when Nathan [Fillion]'s no longer [on] Castle and I'm no longer the Tom Hagen of the Marvel Universe and making a giant movie, we might look and see where the market is then. But right now, it's a complete non-Kickstarter for me.

He even talks about your same concerns, Cardie.

ABV: Any thoughts on that?

JW: You know, I get that. I understand that it feels not as pure, and that the presence of a studio makes it disingenuous somehow. But people clearly understood what was happening and just wanted to see more of the thing they love. To give them that opportunity doesn't feel wrong. If it was a truly wrong move, I don't think it would have worked. I feel like people would have said, "Hey, that's not fair! That doesn't count!" It costs a lot to see a movie anyway. And it's usually not one you like. That kind of passion, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I might not be thinking it through. I'm not exactly business Joe.

I agree with him, at least in this case. Fans knew that this was going to be the only way to get a Veronica Mars movie and so they donated. But I can see how this could turn ugly. What if fans don't like how the movie ends up?

I don't think every show can be brought back like this, but hopefully some of them can be.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#19 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,200 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

To be honest, the only characters on VM I really liked that much and would be happy to see again were Veronica and Keith. And Alona Tal because she's really hot. And maybe Tina Majorino was kind of fun. And Amanda Seyfried if a) her character weren't dead and b) she weren't too big a movie star these days to be affordable, probably. Most of the rest, I hardly even remember.

Facebook Author Page

#20 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

If they had gotten another season they were going to flash forward to Veronica at Quantico.  I wonder of the movie will have her as an FBI agent?  

If she's still just some low rent private eye in Orange County, I will have a hard time buying it.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Veronica Mars, Kickstarter

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users