Veronica Mars Kickstarter movie campaign

Veronica Mars Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

If they had gotten another season they were going to flash forward to Veronica at Quantico.  I wonder of the movie will have her as an FBI agent?  

If she's still just some low rent private eye in Orange County, I will have a hard time buying it.

Rob Thomas gives the plot of the movie on the Kickstarter page towards the bottom. It could change between then and now, of course, but it seems like a good idea. I'll put it into spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler

I think it's a good idea. It allows them to bring back a lot of characters and use familar surroundings.

Oh, the campaign is now open to Canadians. Hopefully they can open it up to more international pledges. If that happens, the sky's the limit for how many funds they can raise.

To be honest, the only characters on VM I really liked that much and would be happy to see again were Veronica and Keith. And Alona Tal because she's really hot. And maybe Tina Majorino was kind of fun. And Amanda Seyfried if a) her character weren't dead and b) she weren't too big a movie star these days to be affordable, probably. Most of the rest, I hardly even remember.

I doubt Alona Tal will be back since her character died in the second season. Even though she is a cutie, her character wasn't that great and I wouldn't care for her return even if she was alive.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#22 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,200 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 15 March 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

If they had gotten another season they were going to flash forward to Veronica at Quantico.  I wonder of the movie will have her as an FBI agent?  

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to see when I first heard about this. Doesn't sound like they'll be going that route, though.

View PostVirgil Vox, on 15 March 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

I doubt Alona Tal will be back since her character died in the second season.

Oh, I'd forgotten that.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#23 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 15 March 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

If she's still just some low rent private eye in Orange County, I will have a hard time buying it.

http://www.hitfix.co...-movie-campaign

This interview thankfully ditches that theory.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#24 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

^I'm excited. In the inteerview he says he has plans for Piz and Parker. That makes me a happy camper.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#25 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

I always liked Piz and Parker and felt that they were only scratching the surface with them. A fourth season would have no doubt helped with that.

I suppose they could bring Alona Tal back through flashbacks or something but that might be kind of forced. I always liked her character on VM. Personally, I don't really care if I see Dick or Duncan again.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#26 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

I greet the news with some ambivalence.  I love Kristen Bell and that character but I had a real problem sticking with the show after the first season.  The cast never gelled.  There was a ton of weak acting.  (All of this IMO of course.)  The only other actor I really liked was Tina Majorino but for whatever reason they were never able to make her a regular lead character.  I don't know if that was a money thing or what but I did always kind of feel like I wanted the show to be a little slicker, have a better production design budget, better music.  It was too low rent for the style and genre it was trying to affect, IMO, and its assets (Bell, occasionally Majorino, some good scripts) couldn't compensate.    

And now it will feature - presumably - an adult, professional Veronica Mars but it will be even lower rent?  

re: Majorino - Were they afraid of making it the Buffy and Willow show?  They should not have been!  It was already Hard Boiled Buffy.

Edited by BklnScott, 15 March 2013 - 05:49 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#27 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

There were definitely some poor casting choices from the start but the show did eventually write most of those characters out (except Wallace). Network interference did a pretty solid job of sinking the show after the second season (and even during it, in some ways).

Ryan Hansen was much better on Party Down, another Rob Thomas show which I'm hoping gets revived. Might not have the fanbase for it, though.

#28 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostCardie, on 14 March 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

This model will only work for movies or limited series. You can't contractually hang onto cast and crew for an indefinite run without oodles more capital being available upfront.
That will do.  For now.  :lol:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 15 March 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

I agree with him, at least in this case. Fans knew that this was going to be the only way to get a Veronica Mars movie and so they donated. But I can see how this could turn ugly. What if fans don't like how the movie ends up?  
Speaking for myself, I know full well that projects I've supported-- like Space Command-- may not turn out to be what I wanted.  Caveat Emptor.  I've taken my chances and I'll have to live with the result.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#29 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

I would not only support but donate to the Party Down kick starter - a great Rob Thomas show with none of the problems VM had.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#30 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Party Down absolutely needs a movie. That show was simply brilliant from beginning to end and deserves more. Loved it!

#31 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

I think one of my favorite comedy scenes of the last few years was Jane Lynch's character talking about her "sex explosion." The look on Lizzy Caplan's face. Man, I miss that show.

#32 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

View PostJosh, on 15 March 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

I think one of my favorite comedy scenes of the last few years was Jane Lynch's character talking about her "sex explosion." The look on Lizzy Caplan's face. Man, I miss that show.
LOL! That's one of my favorite scenes in...well, ever.

Edited by NeuralClone, 16 March 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#33 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,825 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hmmm ... This Kickstarter thing reminds me of The Producers with Max Bialystock going to his little old ladies to raise funding for his next production.  If the point raised in The Producers is correct (and still valid), then as long as they produce something, be it good, bad, or indifferent, I think the producers have fulfilled their end of this exercise.

As for Veronica Mars, I loved the low rentiness of it (I still think the first season was the best), and certainly Kristen Bell was the best thing to come out of it.  I'd certainly be interested in a Veronica Mars, P.I. incarnation.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#34 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,200 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Maybe the way to resurrect it is to reboot it as sci-fi. Veronica Mars Attacks!

Or, if they wanted to go a kinkier route, Veronica Mars Needs Women! (I'd watch that...)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#35 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

I know there is a lot of talk about whether going the Kickstarter route was the right move or not, but I don't see how it was the wrong move.  If anything, it gives Kickstarter more face value.  It draws more attention to the site and it could draw more attention to smaller projects for it.  And it may end up becoming a viable way to give conclusions to shows that otherwise don't have them.  The people who fund projects get things to compensate their donations.  Hell, PBS has lived off this model for years.  You donate funds to keep the programs on.

Edited by NexusNine, 17 March 2013 - 01:19 AM.

Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#36 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

^^  I think stuff like this and Space Command and so on have the potential to change the whole model for how shows and movies are greenlit and funded.  It's going to be great for independent creators.  If people can donate to PBS and their local theaters, why not shows and movies?

View PostChristopher, on 16 March 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Maybe the way to resurrect it is to reboot it as sci-fi. Veronica Mars Attacks!

Or, if they wanted to go a kinkier route, Veronica Mars Needs Women! (I'd watch that...)  
I wouldn't mind seeing Robinson Crusoe On Veronica Mars.  After all, Veronica Mars Is Heaven.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#37 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

It looks like they're beginning shooting in June:

#38 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Awesome. Congratulations to them and their fans. I hope this changes the world

#39 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Posted Image

On set. :D Let me just go on record as saying that Kristen Bell looks absolutely amazing. :love:

#40 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

Here's an actual first look at the movie, which premiered at Comic-Con (note that this contains mild spoilers, the bulk of which are at the very end):

"Fans...are cool. But Veronica Mars fans...are awesome. That's just kinda the way it works." --Kristen Bell

Also, I love how Jason Dohring wore a "TEAM PIZ" shirt at Comic-Con. That's just great. :lol:

Posted Image

As great as Tina Majorino looks, I don't know what in the freaking hell is going on with her hair. Surely that will get at least one quip from Veronica in the movie? :D

Edited by NeuralClone, 23 July 2013 - 02:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Veronica Mars, Kickstarter

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users