• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have to say I luv this vision, Barack, no not Barak, this Barack, haranguing a bunch
of Israeli uni students, the future of Israel:

' Obama acknowledged that Israelis "live in a neighborhood where many of your neighbors have rejected your right to exist. Your parents lived through war after war to ensure the survival of the Jewish state. Your children grow up knowing that people they have never met hate them because of who they are, in a region that is changing underneath your feet."

At the same time, the president told them, "the Palestinian people's right to self-determination and justice must be recognized" not only for the sake of the Palestinians, but to bring peace to Israel.

He asked the students to put themselves in the Palestinians shoes, to "look at the world through their eyes."

"It is not fair that a Palestinian child cannot grow up in a state of her own, and lives with the presence of a foreign army that controls the movements of her parents every single day."

The president also addressed the United States' bond with Israel, noting the security relationship between the two nations has "never been stronger."

Reiterating that Israel has a "right to defend itself," Obama called on Hamas to renounce violence, and affirmed the United States' stance that Hezbollah is "a terrorist organization."

After hecklers briefly interrupted Obama, he said. "This is part of the lively debate that we talked about. … I wouldn't feel comfortable if I didn't have at least one heckler."
'
http://www.usatoday....-peace/2005663/

___ of course there's not a word on the horrid settlement issue- I just saw a nice vid feature, bout 12 min, on the 'view from the street' of how magistrates make an order that Palestinians can be disposessed and evicted in East Jerusalem and a bushel of plain guys in jeans come break in, yes there is no sheriff knocking on a door and speaking respectfully, no, just bash right in, start pulling family furniture out to the street, start bringing Israel people in, and evict, and push out, and take over, with no provision where do the Arab types go now-

so keeping 'safe' and 'cute' and non-controversial, make nice speech to the youth, but hey it's a start- I _NEVER_ see a foreign PM or president come over and harangue us about how we should look at things or do things into the future, luv it { not excellency Secretary-Minister ehud Barak but rather the U.S. Barack, president; in Jerusalem; luv it }

So, heard replays of 'the speech' on Medved radio program, and Michael also reported as always, every week without fail just like Sean, how Barack has fallen in the polls, now negative approval ratings and his second term is doomed (though he did say this was Barack's best speech, really good job on that) - so:

How is Barack doing now? is he doing right or wrong on the whole costs, deficit, Congress thing? how right or wrong is he doing on foreign policy? is he right or wrong on his ratio of attention and action on domestic or foreign affairs?

right time for his trip to Israel? was not the meet with president of Israel Peres enough? or were 'they' not listening and this handshake with Excellency Mr Benjamin was the only thing gonna work over there? doing well or right with Middle East? regarding Iran?

regarding, or ignoring, EU issues and international trade? should he get into that EU stuff more, no?
Should he delegate everything to Kerry and spend ALL his attention and effort on domestic U.S. problems?
Any other bullet points we can get in here, on Barack's job and approvals this year?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

The real question is how commited Obama is to keeping Iran from making nuclear weapons.  Last fall Israel was talking about the "red line" saying it would be sometime this summer.  Maybe it's bluster to try and scare Iran some more.  Israel is probably commited to it.  It matters that Obama went himself and reaffirmed the United States commitment to Israel because there has been a lot of questioning of it for a few years now, even on the Israelis side, supposedly.   So him going in person sent more of a message of unity than sending Kerry in his place would have done.

Edited by Bobby, 21 March 2013 - 03:28 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2013, president

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users