• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I love my senators.  Barbara Boxer's office helped me find the answers I desperately needed to the sticky problems of my impending Medicare disaster, and Dianne Feinstein did this:

Apparently the newbie doesn't know just who she is, what she knows, and what she has endured.

How about it?  Any positive things to say about your legislators?  State, federal, local, US, UK, Canada, wherever, attagirls and attaboys welcome here.   :happy:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 othkarwise

othkarwise
  • Islander
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Oh, that was a thing of beauty! I admit to being a liberal Democrat and my views will always reflect that reality.  This guy..this Ted Cruz..is a f'n joke.  A dangerous f'n joke.  Feinstein put this little brat in his place.  Lecturing Feinstein on the Constitution...what a little creep.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't care for Ted Cruz.  I honestly can't apologize for it or keep from posting this.  If it's too much, I will gladly except any penalties that could come my way.

Thanks for the clip, Nonny.

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm glad she did this and he's my new Senator unfortunately.:(

Not going to go into the 'issues'  I had with him upon trying to contact him and let him know what at least one of his constituents thought about some issues.   (granted it was a staffer but..still ...not cool)  Y'all might not miss Kay Bailey Hutchinson but she was easier to deal with.

(and I had another Republican who I was perfectly willing to vote for so it's not that)

Glad you got the help you needed, Nonny.

Edited by Tricia, 22 March 2013 - 01:11 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

View Postothkarwise, on 22 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

I've come to the conclusion that I don't care for Ted Cruz.  I honestly can't apologize for it or keep from posting this.

No problem!  Steam letting off also welcome.   :)

View PostTricia, on 22 March 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

I'm glad she did this and he's my new Senator unfortunately. :(

Ouch!  I hadn't paid attention to where he comes from.   :(

Glad you got the help you needed, Nonny.

Thanks!  I wish you'd had better luck.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Frankly, he comments indicate to me she has no business serving in congress.
But she ws duly elected.
Her recitation of her experience is not an answer to the question posed.
"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

#6 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostDarthMarley, on 23 March 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

But she ws duly elected.

Of course she didn't.  He is a stupid person, he asked a question either in ignorance of how she became prominent politically or deliberately meant to bait her.  The question deserved no answer, but the jerk who asked it deserved having his head handed to him, and she did a mighty fine job of it.

I love my senators.    :happy:
Posted Image

#7 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

he came off as rather freshmanish or sophomoric with his lecturing style and we smirked when she said 'six years old' ;) and he should have respected her experience even if not her position on the issue when he asked his question> my two senators have been giving solid service, they are both ladies, both multi-term, both D, they take it seriously, and both serving all the public not just one party, no matter what the red swath conservatives in their part of the state may say :harper:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Does the question "have you stopped beating your wife yet?" deserve a straight-forward answer too?

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#9 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

How dare a senator bring up the subject of the Constitution during a debate on whether a proposed law is constitutional!
-
When Cruz brings the Constitution into the discussion, Feinstein makes a fallacious appeal to her own inherent authority as a former mayor and lifetime politician, rather than debate him on the merits.
-
Pardon my bluntness, but so frickin’ what? Just because someone revels in political power over the course of a lifetime does not make them wise or good stewards of the law, or demonstrate that they understand the limits on government power under our system. In fact, the longer many politicians remain in power, the less respect they evidently have for those constitutional limits. Feinstein evidently sees very few limits on her power to legislate. In the past she has admitted that she would ban all guns — doing away with the Second Amendment — if she could.

link

Edited by Kota, 23 March 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#10 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

It's interesting to see what people take away from a video like this.  Very interesting.  Sort of like witnesses to an accident, everyone sees what is important to him or her.

I doubt anyone will argue that the attitude of Cruz was bound to rile up Feinstein.  It doesn't matter to me who was right or wrong here, and I don't think either was right or wrong.  They were both being politicians, and failing miserably at getting anywhere on the issue.  It looked to me to be a classic clash of partisans, NOT a demonstration of who governs better.

That said, I wish politicians could stop playing chess and oneupsmanship with each other when the cameras are on, and begin to really work at the job of governing.  When that happens, then I'll congratulate a Senator on their years of service, or their knowledge of the Constitution.  

All this video demonstrates is that people are always campaigning, and don't understand what their jobs are in Congress.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#11 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

I knew what I would see even before I hit that Link, just the word choice, and it would be a duh moment; then i hit the Link,
and it's a blogger who's producer of Laura Ingraham's show, and comm dir of Republicans of Texas, so yeah, like, duh :harper:
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Right on schedule.   :lol:
Posted Image

#13 othkarwise

othkarwise
  • Islander
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

BTW, my opinion of Cruz is from a few other clips of him being ill-informed and extremely condescending to many different people.  I realize he is trying to make a name for himself by being on these committees and making sure he gets in a lot of talk time.  It's when he opens his mouth, that you are able to see that he simply uses hyperbole, exaggeration, condescension, and an amazing lack of real political knowledge - or has a complete inability to use what little he has.  I know those same things are used by many politicians.  Ted Cruz is simply in a class unto himself.

And, no, there is nothing wrong with someone bringing up different parts of the Constitution to make a point.  I think that's the great part of having a Constitution.  This isn't what Cruz was doing.  HIs comparisons from one amendment to the other and the term "the right to" was like using a chain-saw to approach fixing an open wound instead of a scalpel.  Gun control is complicated. Very.  Trying to get Feinstein to say, "Ok, you got me. No gun control at all because the term "the right to" covers such a large area in other amendments.

Also, I don't have an opinion on gun control. Wha??? I guess I'm ok with good back-ground checks, waiting periods and all that, but I know there are more guns out there than anyone can imagine.  They are already there. Bad guys ( and girls) will get guns any time they wan't one.  I do think we should draw a line on bazooka sales and, well, any weapon that could blow up a building or whatever. Geez.

#14 DarthMarley

DarthMarley
  • Islander
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostNonny, on 23 March 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostDarthMarley, on 23 March 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

But she ws duly elected.

Of course she didn't.  He is a stupid person, he asked a question either in ignorance of how she became prominent politically or deliberately meant to bait her.  The question deserved no answer, but the jerk who asked it deserved having his head handed to him, and she did a mighty fine job of it.

I love my senators. :happy:

She did no such thing.
It was a legitimate question.
Do you think we should do the same thing to these other rights you want to do to the 2nd amendment?
Jerry Springer fans might think she gave him a good comeback, but for those who want the question answered, she looks like an idiot.

The "have you stopped beating your wife" response is absurd.
This is a lawmaker asking another lawmaker, in the legislative session, what their views are.

I was going to start a thread on the tragic shooting in Georgia, but why bother. There is no chance for an honest discussion here.
Have fun guys.
"It is not who is right, but what is right that is of importance."

#15 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Everyone is going to have their own opinion of what went on in that video.  What constitutes a 'burn", a gotcha moment for either side.

I tend to agree with Cait on this matter.   Her whole post.  Because that is my own opinion also.  I'm tired of the oneupsmanship, the game playing, the blame game, the finger pointing.  And no effort on either side to end it and TRY harder to work TOGETHER, to find solutions for the problems we are facing...instead of all the things that I mentioned already.

As to the Georgia tragedy, Darth....I'm guessing it's that 13 month old shot and killed?  I'm not sure what to say about that myself as it's one more senseless tragedy and I'm so tired of babies and small children dying. There's a reason that I can't watch the news most nights. :(

Edited by Tricia, 24 March 2013 - 04:23 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#16 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostDarthMarley, on 24 March 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

She did no such thing.

Did too.

It was a legitimate question.

Was not.

Do you think we should do the same thing to these other rights you want to do to the 2nd amendment?

Depends on what we are supposed to want to do to the 2nd Amendment.  Clarification, please.

Jerry Springer fans might think she gave him a good comeback, but for those who want the question answered, she looks like an idiot.

Actually, Jerry Springer fans would be calling foul, since she smacked their little standard bearer down with her clear intelligence to his pathetic stupidity.

The "have you stopped beating your wife" response is absurd.

Not even a little bit.

This is a lawmaker asking another lawmaker, in the legislative session, what their views are.

No, it's a patronizing little oik trying to bait a well respected woman of much intelligence and experience, some of it tragic, and trying to feed her answers based on his own ignorance and the needs/greeds of his corporate sponsors.

Have fun guys.

Girls just wanna have fun too.   :)
Posted Image

#17 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

So, who else loves/likes/admires/tolerates/puts up with their senator/s?  It's a legitmate question.
Posted Image

#18 Kota

Kota
  • Islander
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Are you saying Senator Ted Cruz – you know, the Harvard/Princeton-trained lawyer who’s argued and won cases before the US Supreme Court is stupid?

#19 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

Well, OK, let's take up the Constitutional premise Cruz suggests.  Would we be OK with it if our first amendments rights were under consideration for regulation?

I think we'd all say "No", but not all amendments in the Constitution are equal.  Some actually do contain some "conditions", unlike the first amendment.

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The first amendment is a prohibition against Congress and its law making powers, but even the first amendment has been judged to have some restrictions.[i.e. you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, etc.]  

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This amendment actually states why Americans can bear arms and under what circumstances.  It is a clear indication that there was some minor restrictions on gun ownership.  No where does it say, "Congress shall pass no law prohibiting gun ownership, and since that's the language used in the first amendment, we have to assume they knew they were stating something different, otherwise the language would be the same as in the first amendment.  Yet we do have the description of "Well regulated", and given the purpose of lawmaking in general, I think it can be argued that laws can be passed to ensure a well regulated gun ownership population.  

I do not mean regulated in the way banks are regulated BTW   I mean regulated in the way that establishes safe and stable militias and/or gun ownership, or in the 2013 case, safe and stable gun owners.  No one in the Founders time would have thought to allow Tories to keep their guns because of the 2nd amendment.  That's what I think well regulated means, others will ague differently  but what none of us can argue about is that the phrase Well regulated makes a different statement than the first amendment makes about free speech or religion, etc.

Same thing in the 4th amendment...

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

We have a condition right here.  It's conditional because someone can go to a judge or magistrate and show cause to search.  This amendment only protects us from unreasonable searches, not all searches.  It's a pretty good amendment, and I'd never give it up, but it's not the same as the
First amendment where Congress is prohibited from passing any laws etc.

There are other examples of how our rights are described in the Bill of Rights and the 14th amendment, everyone should take a look at the language used for each right.  They are not all equal.  Some do have restrictions within the language.

My point being that, yes, Cruz was grandstanding for those that don't really know and understand the Constitution.   It was indeed a stupid question to ask because it makes all the amendments apples, when in fact they are all apples and oranges.  They are different and have different language used when describing a "right".  I have to assume that the Founders used different language because the rights weren't as absolute as say the First Amendment.  We have to assume that they used different language because they understood that not all rights are necessarily the same when it comes to ensuring "Domestic Tranquility"

Diane Feinstein was foolish to get caught up by that idiotic baiting, and not just come back with the answer, or something like it, that I just gave.  But, the truth is both of then were just being politicians, and neither of them understood the Constitution in terms of how the 1st amendment relates to the 2nd, or the 4th, etc.  They are NOT the same kinds of rights.  If they were, the whole damn documents could have all been written in say 3 or 4 amendments.  The differences and restrictions or conditions outlined in each amendments mean something.  Comparing the 2nd amendment to the first is like saying Venus is like Mars.  They are both planets, but that is where any similarity ends.  Same with the amendments and the rights they describe.

And just to be really clear, I am NOT a gun control advocate.  I don't want government intervention on this issue, but that doesn't mean I don't see a rational Constitutional way for Congress to pass laws to regulate gun ownership.  I don't like it, but it can be argued and the argument might carry the day.

Source:

#20 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostKota, on 24 March 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Are you saying Senator Ted Cruz – you know, the Harvard/Princeton-trained lawyer who’s argued and won cases before the US Supreme Court is stupid?

No, I'm saying he thought Feinstein was stupid and that the people listening to him would not be able to make the Constitutional distinction between Amendments.  I'm pretty sure he knows the difference, he just thought no one else did.  

It was in fact, a great sound byte and I'm sure people will use what he said to argue against any gun regulations at all.  Giver ity until Monday on Rush.  And after all, that's that's the statements were supposed to do.  Mission accomplished.  There is a new talking point in town, and no one is going to stop long enough to see how it was planted in the minds of people.

Source:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: politics, gun control, Feinstein, California, Senate, 2013, Barbara Boxer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users